walleye on a topwater?

GBW

Just wondering if anyone has tried it and had luck? Reason being is I'm limited to where I can cast to and it's shallow. Fishing from shore is why I'm asking.

Either way I'll give it a shot later this evening.

Every summer we used to go to a lodge near North Bay before we bought our cottage in Bobcaygeon. About our third summer I was informed that there is a good topwater walleye bite after dark in a weedy area of 8-12 FOW. I never tried it as I have never enjoyed night fishing...but my brother always did well there when he gave it a go.

Give her a go GBW...what are you out?

thanks guys. I'm just visting my folks and the boats done for the year and most of the dock is out. where they are on the lake isn't that deep but I have had great luck off the dock in the summer with jig's as I can get to deeper water then. I'll give it a shot either way!

*nice fish B!*

well the rain started here just after it got dark... only one bass caught before then and 4 missed fish. my biggest problem I'm sure was how shallow the whole area is. even with casting as far as I can I was only getting to 7 / 8 ft deep water. oh well at least I got to take some casts and fight a fish when fishing wasn't planned for today. glad I have a bit of stuff here as I didn't even bring anything this visit.

Goeff, I use top waters for walleye in spring fall. All shallow.

One thing ill say is from shore, cast the edges. Casting straight out will likely be naddas

Lotsa walleye sit in a foot or two of water this time of year.

Black Zara spooks and the jr model are my go too.

I know it's too late, just for future reference

Had a weird instance about 10 years ago.

We were working/ fishing a lake in Northern Ontario and the walleye were on fire.

One night, the bite stops. Cold. We can't figure out why until we see the

Whoops. Fell asleep before I finished this will edit later.

Edited by jeremy84

Pick this one up over the labour day weekend on Lake Erie fishing a reef in under 5' of water on a poper when it got dark. Was fishing for Small Mouth at the time. A few friends have caught some to on top water baits also but all at dusk or in the dark when the walleyes move into the shallows to feed.

erie sunday Walleye suprise (Medium).jpg

We were working/ fishing a lake in Northern Ontario and the walleye were on fire.

The suspense is killing me. I need to hear the rest of this story.

Whoops. Fell asleep before I finished this will edit later.

Classic bait end switch! Epic ending???

TELL US NOW!!!

Geoff, this last May 24 weekend I towed the boat 7 hours north to a nice little Walleye lake. Day 1 all afternoon and into the evening we trolled, back trolled, drifted, cast, flipped, drop shot, jigged every structure, drop off, point, weed edge, fast water top and bottom, eddies at all depths and all other locations where a self respecting Wally would let me hook my first of the year. Nada, niltch, niema, nienti, niet. That evening our hosts son and his buddy came into camp around 11PM. They limited out off the dock by mid night on black buzz baits. Go figure. The next day we were shoulder to shoulder on that little dock. That's where all the fish were caught that weekend. Good luck Geoff.

Jeremy is still knapping. The ending is "The bite stops cold until we see the Shark".

Edited by Old Ironmaker

That evening our hosts son and his buddy came into camp around 11PM. They limited out off the dock by mid night on black buzz baits. Go figure. The next day we were shoulder to shoulder on that little dock. That's where all the fish were caught that weekend. Good luck Geoff.

Jeremy is still knapping. The ending is "The bite stops cold until we see the Shark".

Why thank you fine sir and you know what? I'd be there too on that dock!

As for Jeremy, I think it's "the bite stops cold until we see" the bacon and then it was pigzilla time

Back in the days when you were allowed to fish off the bottom of the power house dam (north P'Boro) I caught a nice size pickeral using a jitterbug. First cast about 09:00pm.

Some damn thieves broke into the powerhouse and stole some tools and that was the end of fishing there day or night...It is all fenced off now...

Edited by Beans

totally! hahaha

Haha got you all on the edge of your seat and promptly forgot (busy time of the year)

So we notice the mayflies are spawning and dropping from the sky and there is a lot of surface activity. So I look in my tacklebox and all I have is a big, ugly orange topwater rapala.

So I tie it on, thinking I'm getting skunked and I ended up landing 3 walleye before the night was over. All the other guys I was with were shocked