2019-2020 Hockey Thread

4 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

it's all crap, the athletic is like the national inquirer of sports writing

but I'd consider that trade for sure if he'll agree to sign long term, for Nylander, not Kappi

1 hour ago, chris.brock said:

that's a fair comment, you do seem more reasonable and mature than the other clowns, I do know the Karlsson, Duchene and Stone trades, I'll chill, unless the LEAFS LOSE TONIGHT AND I"VE HAD A BUNCH OF BEERS, lol, just kidding

with all do respect, I think the sens playoff run did lead to a chain of irrational decisions, and at times the franchise seems like a circus for lack of a better word

That's cool, but actually Chris I don't think it was the run so much that led to all the turmoil, most of it came from Melnyk  cheaping out everywhere including staff along with the drama in the room mostly caused by a spoiled star who sucked up all the oxygen in the room. Plus there was Boucher, I was not a fan of his at all and neither were many of the players if you remember that cab ride. Like I mentioned the best thing they did was trade off Karlsson. We got 3 quite decent players, a first and second round pick, two conditional picks and the rights to Josh Norris who was a 2017 first round pick by the Sharks and was a strong player for the US development team. He was getting over surgery from an injury and is in his first year as a pro in Belleville where he's second in team scoring and just under a point a game player. So in that case I'd say we did quite well in that trade, Karlsson hasn't been the same player since that run and his injuries, only 3 goals this year and they are stuck with a huge 11 year contract for a player who is starting on the downturn of his career. #sharktank is trending strong in Ottawa :)

As for Stone and Duschene, once they realized that a rebuild was on the way and with Boucher still there and along with the drama in the room there was no chance that they were going to give up their chance at free agency and I don't blame them one bit. The Stone trade hurt for sure and we still don't have a true first line center yet although they're hoping Logan Brown progresses to that eventually.

Cheers

3 hours ago, chris.brock said:

it's all crap, the athletic is like the national inquirer of sports writing

but I'd consider that trade for sure if he'll agree to sign long term, for Nylander, not Kappi

I would like the other rumor better though. Leafs talking to the Pens on a deal for Jarry. 

On 12/13/2019 at 3:03 PM, smitty55 said:

You had mentioned about the leafs trending in the right direction since the coaching change, but they are now 6-4, somewhat but not really all that much better than under Babs. 

I had a feeling that this might happen, but ya...

Image result for this didnt age well meme

Leafs now 8-4 under Keefe with their next two games against garbage teams! GO LEAFS GO

I'm biased, but last night's refs were ridiculous, the phantom call on Hyman that could have cost them the game, and the no call on Okposo, an analyst on AM 590 said he thought the play should result in a 3 game suspension, instead there wasn't even a 2 minute PP, what joke.

Teams will continue to run around because the Leafs can't enforce themselves. Man, I miss the days when we had a guy that you could just open the cage and point.

Edited by chris.brock

4 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I'm biased, but last night's refs were ridiculous, the phantom call on Hyman that could have cost them the game,

Dont forget the totally phantom call on Tavares as well that cost them one of their other goals as well. Two total phantom calls against the leafs but absolutely nothing for that hit...sounds about par for the course when it comes to the leafs and the NHL

Anyone remember Game 2 of the boston series last year? I was listneing to Bowen while down fishing in south carolina on lake marion and was concerned for Bowens health he was so upset about what the officials were doing what almost seemed intentionally to the leafs. A partocular high stick that had one of the leafs just gushing blood with no call what so ever stands out.

2 hours ago, misfish said:

Are you saying the NHL can not look at that and not suspend ? That is like saying, run a red,hit a car,keep going cuz you didn't get caught at the time. COME ON

They can, and they did...and they apparently said that theres nothing wrong with it. But Kerfoots a few games back, that definitely deserved two games.

2 hours ago, misfish said:

Are you saying the NHL can not look at that and not suspend ? That is like saying, run a red,hit a car,keep going cuz you didn't get caught at the time. COME ON

I don't think he's saying that at all. He just made the comment that in contrast to the analyst saying it looked like a 3 game suspension, it didn't even draw a 2 minute penalty. 

A month ago Chris and I were on here saying this team needed a tough guy or two that could play AND help keep teams honest. We got lots of push back from some guys thinking we'll just skate circles around them in this "new" NHL. It'll be Marner, Matthews or JT next, just wait. Dubas needs to pull his head out and wake up before he has $11M watching from the press box.

• Like 1

It's not just my bias then, those numbers are statistically significant and can't be disputed, there's something rotten with the refs and the player safety people with respect to the Leafs, and the Leafs have a creampuff team.

The Okposo hit was reviewed by the league, but the refs didn't even call a 2 minute minor? when player safety and concussions are the hot topic? 

The 590 guys seem like they're tongue tied for political reasons, they can only mention the word "conspiracy" jokingly and briefly, but they hint at it.

17 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

I don't think he's saying that at all. He just made the comment that in contrast to the analyst saying it looked like a 3 game suspension, it didn't even draw a 2 minute penalty. 

A month ago Chris and I were on here saying this team needed a tough guy or two that could play AND help keep teams honest. We got lots of push back from some guys thinking we'll just skate circles around them in this "new" NHL. It'll be Marner, Matthews or JT next, just wait. Dubas needs to pull his head out and wake up before he has $11M watching from the press box.

A team like Boston won't pull that crap until the playoffs then they'll hit to HURT the Leafs top players and it'll be too late for Dumbass to go looking for a tough guy.  If the Leaf's finesse players try the high skill moves in playoffs they won't finish the game.

I think uncle leo’s time in the NHL is limited. Another set of buy outs becomes available soon. I think he is going to get one.

by the way I think I remember someone here claiming that the leafs need more Komorov types on the leafs...his stat line tells the story

Thank god lou was already gone so Toronto didn’t eat that contract

38 minutes ago, Oggie said:

Big test for Hutchison tonight! Hope they play like his career depends on their performance as well as his. 

Anybody think Anderson is starting to look tired?? He's missed a few pucks that I think he would have normally saved.

Detroit's well rested so we will see if the leafs will show up.  Not counting on it thou.  Leafs are going to need to put a few in the net tonight like 10 cause hutch will be allowing 9.  

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Well, the Sens are spending 1/2 the cap on players that no longer play for them.

❄️😬😁❄️😂

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/sens-playing-over-40-m-to-players-not-in-the-lineu

Really Dave, that's a pretty lame statement considering 5 of those are short term injuries and even a day to day so it sure isn't like they no longer play for the Sens. 🙄 Plus 4 of those LTIR contracts and likely some UFA ones as well are expiring this year and will free up 30M in cap space, giving the Sens tons of flexibility in the next years. Also cap hit and actual cash paid is a different story and some of those contracts are paid by insurance. The Leafs meanwhile get no cap relief from their expiring LTIR contract as they are only using them for salary relief.

One big difference is that the Sens used those contracts to help reach the floor while their prospects develop. Meanwhile the Leafs are cap bound with little to no flexibility for the future to the point that they are using 12M in borrowed money from LTIR contracts from next year to manipulate their cap space this year so they can afford those high salaries. They even had to purchase Clarkson's contract so they could sign Marner lol. Yea but Dubas is doing a great job, just like he's done with your goalie crisis having no backup and no cap space to find one for this season. Next year will be different though I guess, with 4 UFA contracts on defense some of that money could be used to find a decent goalie. Too bad you lost McElhinney to waivers, that was a real smart move considering how Sparks worked out. Oh but wait, you will need that money to pay for new defense contracts, you can't fill your D corp with rookies and expect to contend.

So say what you want about the Sens contracts, right now I'd much rather be in the position they are in rather than the cap crunch the leafs have to deal with and with no relief in sight.

Cheers