2019-2020 Hockey Thread

On 12/21/2019 at 12:17 PM, smitty55 said:

LOL so now you want it both ways. First you complain about all haters and now it's too quiet.

Don't you worry your fragile little leafer egos. Plenty of season left to ride the fanatical fandom which is a TML's fan roller coaster which will ultimately lead to yet a other failure. And we'll be here to remind every last one of you of that Traditional Failure. Merry Christmas 

On 12/21/2019 at 9:17 AM, smitty55 said:

LOL so now you want it both ways. First you complain about all haters and now it's too quiet.

LOL who's complaining? I'm just stating an observation, and I'll always say, darn haters are gonna hate

your demeanor seems to have changed a bit lately, and it seems to coincide with the way some teams are playing lately,  LOL

after the Leafs/ Wings, my feed switched to Flyers/ Sens  starting OT, if Connor Brown is starting 3 on 3 and Ennis is the first shooter in shoot out, things probably aren't looking good

1 hour ago, moxie said:

Don't you worry your fragile little leafer egos. Plenty of season left to ride the fanatical fandom which is a TML's fan roller coaster which will ultimately lead to yet a other failure. And we'll be here to remind every last one of you of that Traditional Failure. Merry Christmas 

I'm guessing you watched the Leaf game this afternoon and got "inspired" to post, lol.

yes, merry Christmas, suck your candy cane

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris.brock said:

LOL who's complaining? I'm just stating an observation, and I'll always say, darn haters are gonna hate

your demeanor seems to have changed a bit lately, and it seems to coincide with the way some teams are playing lately,  LOL

after the Leafs/ Wings, my feed switched to Flyers/ Sens  starting OT, if Connor Brown is starting 3 on 3 and Ennis is the first shooter in shoot out, things probably aren't looking good

Chris I guess you missed the humor in my post. At least Misfish got it.

Mostly though you seem to keep forgetting the huge difference in the situation between  the two teams. The Sens are in the first year of a rebuild while the Leafs consider themselves a contender while recently firing and still paying the most highly paid coach in history. It must be nice when money is no object.

Actually things are looking pretty good in Sens land considering. I'll be happy to point out some things to you seeing as you don't watch them. Yea Connor Brown is a top six winger on this team. His play has been excellent this year, highlighted by his defensive play. For 2M he has one point less than Rielly at 5M. Pretty good deal I figure. Tyler Ennis too has really picked up his game. First star against Philly with three points, that's why the coach rewarded him with the shootout. But you didn't know that so you assume. 10 points in his last ten games too, pretty damn good for a 800k Cap hit. On top of that he has 2 more points than Kapanen at 3.2M, four times the salary.  Another great signing.

How about Duclair? 6th in goal scoring in the league with 21, same as McDavid and only 2 less than Mathews. He would be 3rd in points on the Leafs btw. Salary 1.6M. Mathews salary this year 15M and he's not even your best player, Marner is. Great contract again.

How about Pageau? Lets compare him to Tavares just for kicks. Salary 3.4M. Tavares salary 15M. Well go figure Pageau has three more goals and only one less point. He would be 4th in points on the Leafs btw. Just as important Tavares is actually a -3 on the "high scoring" Leafs, meanwhile Pageau at +19 on a sub 500 team is 5th in the whole league. Plus he's tied for the lead in shorties with 3. That sure looks pretty good, wouldn't you say Chris? I'm really hoping he wants to stay a Sen and won't test the market so they can get a long term deal done in the 4M range this season. To me he's the epitome of a legacy player for the Sens. #1 star of the game today, he is playing the best hockey of his career this season. He is always pitted against the the top lines and always has been best and most dangerous killer for many years now.

I could go on again about our prospects and our picks this draft, #sharktank is even better than our pick right now. They are a mess to say the least, and now they're screwed with those crazy contracts

So yea Chris, sorry to disappoint you but things are actually looking pretty positive in Sens land right now. Not the least is the culture and structure That DJ Smith has instilled to this team. I'm a huge fan That win today against Buffalo was a great reflection of how this team plays under him and his staff, you should watch it... :) Seriously I knew nothing about DJ with the Leafs before I heard he was climbing up the ladder as a hire. Never was a head coach but 4 years with the leafs in the NHL is great experience. I really like what he is doing in understanding that at this stage his job is all about the developmental process.

Speaking of looking good, we have a true 22 year old Norris candidate defense man locked in for 8x8M. He's already better than Ek65 at 11M.

I'll leave with this for now. The Sens will have 2 very good first round picks in this exceptional draft year, let alone the second round. That's a lot to feel good about too.

Cheers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I'm guessing you watched the Leaf game this afternoon and got "inspired" to post, lol.

yes, merry Christmas, suck your candy cane

Inspired?  Suck ? Let's see who's throwing alcohol fueled tantrums along with conspiracy theories when it all inevitably goes South As it always does. 

7 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Chris I guess you missed the humor in my post. At least Misfish got it.

Mostly though you seem to keep forgetting the huge difference in the situation between  the two teams. The Sens are in the first year of a rebuild while the Leafs consider themselves a contender while recently firing and still paying the most highly paid coach in history. It must be nice when money is no object.

Actually things are looking pretty good in Sens land considering. I'll be happy to point out some things to you seeing as you don't watch them. Yea Connor Brown is a top six winger on this team. His play has been excellent this year, highlighted by his defensive play. For 2M he has one point less than Rielly at 5M. Pretty good deal I figure. Tyler Ennis too has really picked up his game. First star against Philly with three points, that's why the coach rewarded him with the shootout. But you didn't know that so you assume. 10 points in his last ten games too, pretty damn good for a 800k Cap hit. On top of that he has 2 more points than Kapanen at 3.2M, four times the salary.  Another great signing.

How about Duclair? 6th in goal scoring in the league with 21, same as McDavid and only 2 less than Mathews. He would be 3rd in points on the Leafs btw. Salary 1.6M. Mathews salary this year 15M and he's not even your best player, Marner is. Great contract again.

How about Pageau? Lets compare him to Tavares just for kicks. Salary 3.4M. Tavares salary 15M. Well go figure Pageau has three more goals and only one less point. He would be 4th in points on the Leafs btw. Just as important Tavares is actually a -3 on the "high scoring" Leafs, meanwhile Pageau at +19 on a sub 500 team is 5th in the whole league. Plus he's tied for the lead in shorties with 3. That sure looks pretty good, wouldn't you say Chris? I'm really hoping he wants to stay a Sen and won't test the market so they can get a long term deal done in the 4M range this season. To me he's the epitome of a legacy player for the Sens. #1 star of the game today, he is playing the best hockey of his career this season. He is always pitted against the the top lines and always has been best and most dangerous killer for many years now.

I could go on again about our prospects and our picks this draft, #sharktank is even better than our pick right now. They are a mess to say the least, and now they're screwed with those crazy contracts

So yea Chris, sorry to disappoint you but things are actually looking pretty positive in Sens land right now. Not the least is the culture and structure That DJ Smith has instilled to this team. I'm a huge fan That win today against Buffalo was a great reflection of how this team plays under him and his staff, you should watch it... :) Seriously I knew nothing about DJ with the Leafs before I heard he was climbing up the ladder as a hire. Never was a head coach but 4 years with the leafs in the NHL is great experience. I really like what he is doing in understanding that at this stage his job is all about the developmental process.

Speaking of looking good, we have a true 22 year old Norris candidate defense man locked in for 8x8M. He's already better than Ek65 at 11M.

I'll leave with this for now. The Sens will have 2 very good first round picks in this exceptional draft year, let alone the second round. That's a lot to feel good about too.

Cheers

This post is hilarious. 

Your cap analysis is great.... I guess if you knew nothing about hockey you could look at those cap numbers vs stats and think one team is doing way better than the other from a value perspective. But If you asked someone who knew anything about the NHL if they would like JT or Pageau, AM or Duclair, Brown or Reilly, I would be very surprised if that wasn't a clean sweep for the Leafs... regardless of the cap or aav. There is a reason all of those players get paid what they do.

Outside of Chabot, Brady and some potential draft picks (not a lock you get a player that works out - Sens don't have the best development track record)... the Sens have a long way to go before they have the opportunity to have cap issues the Leafs have. Because at the end of the day... that is the goal. To have so many top tier players that you can't sign them all.  

Regardless of what happens though.. one thing will be certain... no one will care. 

Sens are doing ok in the rebuild, but let’s get serious, you need a few bonafide stars to really be a contender and the sens have exactly 0 to date. I think the closest thing they might have is Brady tkachuk, but think of teams that win the cup. They all have some super high end players Plus a very good goalie. St. Louis basically has two of the best defenseman in the league plus tarasenko who’s a top 10 forward and binnington came in red hot.

if they don’t stop over achieving and actually get some low draft picks instead of picking at 6th overall like they are going to they are going to be caught in continuous mediocrity until the franchise folds.

think of actual cup contenders and what their teams look like usually some super stars and a very good/hot at the time goalie

washington was self explanatory and I could go on and on.

thats the thing about ottawa, they are a lot like the habs, they take mid grade talent that over achieves mainly due to the extra ice time that they acquire playing top line minutes where on any other team they are forced down to the third line and then they build them up into something that they are not. Montreal fans have been most recently quoted saying that nick suzuki is a comparable to Mitch marner! It’s not surprising that a guy that’s a third liner on any other team on a contract year gets a pile of extra ice time and powerplay time that he all of a sudden has a career year.

regression is a whine, duclair literally has the highest shooting percentage of the top 102 shooters in the entire NHL. Guess who breaks his streak at 102 in shots on goal with a stupid 20.5% shooting percentage? Pageau

Guys get lucky sometimes which makes things hurt really really bad when the luck dries up and the guys all of a sudden take their next 100 shots and only score 3 goals. Or in pageaus case he’s due for a 20+ game goalless drought. Ouch

On 12/25/2019 at 9:37 AM, AKRISONER said:

Sens are doing ok in the rebuild, but let’s get serious, you need a few bonafide stars to really be a contender and the sens have exactly 0 to date.

The fact that you don't think that Thomas Chabot is a star tells me all I need to know about your knowledge and opinion on Ottawa. The guy won the MVP of the WJC as a defenseman, I can't even remember the last time that ever happened. At 22  he's already way better than Rielly at 25. As for Tkachuk, at 20 years old I'd easily take him over anyone on the Leafs except for Marner, he is so much fun to watch and there are very few players in the league that play like he does. The Leafs would be so lucky to have a player like him but all Dubas wants is skill and no jam lol.

Cheers

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smitty55 said:

As for Tkachuk, at 20 years old I'd easily take him over anyone on the Leafs except for Marner, 

Lmao exactly my point. You literally just said you’d rather have a 20 something goal scorer 40 something point winger  that can hit and is a pest over the best goalie in the NHL right now and a 40+ goal scorer. That’s on pace for 90 points this season. Let me guess cause he’s (lazy)

or a 47 goal scoring bonafide career point per game centre?

leave the rat tactics to the third line

chabot is good, I’m not sure where I said Morgan rielly was a super star though? Chabot isn’t either.

thats the delusion of mediocrity that I was talking about. There’s not a single point per game player on the team. Hence continuously drafting mid first round picks is going to have to take some kind of miracle to find one.

Edited by AKRISONER

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Lmao exactly my point. You literally just said you’d rather have a 20 something goal scorer 40 something point winger  that can hit and is a pest over the best goalie in the NHL right now and a 40+ goal scorer. That’s on pace for 90 points this season. Let me guess cause he’s (lazy)

or a 47 goal scoring bonafide career point per game centre?

leave the rat tactics to the third line

chabot is good, I’m not sure where I said Morgan rielly was a super star though? Chabot isn’t either.

thats the delusion of mediocrity that I was talking about. There’s not a single point per game player on the team. Hence continuously drafting mid first round picks is going to have to take some kind of miracle to find one.

Tkachuk scored 22 goals as a rookie, those numbers will increase with age and as he plays with better players. Same with Chabot, any team in the league would love to have him. Plus Brady has the ability to drag the team into battle with him on a daily basis, something you'll never get with that pussy Mathews. I'd still take him and his salary anytime. His farts have more class than Mathews. Btw I was talking  about skaters, not goalies obviously. Yea sure Andersen is good but he also faces by far the most shots against in the league, not a recipe for success at all but is a good likelihood for burnout and injury. Then what happens, the Leafs will fall like an anchor for sure. There's a method for building a winning contender and by paying 40% of the teams salary on 4 forwards that sure as hell isn't how it's done.

You do realize that the leafs defense has been their big weakness for so long now I can't even remember. Without a solid D corp the leafs will never get close to the cup, defense is was counts most come the playoffs, look what happened to Tampa last year. 

Btw you may want to check the standings before you talk about mediocrity. That's what happened to the Leafs forever until they tanked on purpose to get those high picks. Well it just so happens that Ottawa has a good chance of getting two first round picks in the top five no less, in what is considered to be the best draft in a long time. That's how our GM decided to build a team, not like Dubas did by having no cap space to do anything. All it will take is one issue with Andersen and your team won't even make the playoffs while spending more than any other other team in the league lol. Right now the leafs are 7th in the conference in points and that's not even counting games in hand by other teams in the race.  So don't count your chickens too soon there. :)

Cheers

On 12/24/2019 at 6:17 AM, moxie said:

Inspired?  Suck ? Let's see who's throwing alcohol fueled tantrums along with conspiracy theories when it all inevitably goes South As it always does. 

FYI, 4:41 PM post, no alcohol, if my posts are coming in post game at 10 PM or later, most likely alcohol

you haters don't get it, you have no clue, these ancient history references don't bother me, it's miserable hate that inspires my posts

2 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

Smitty, for christ sakes, we don't care about the sens or habs, if you want to talk hockey I'm sure we'll oblige and have a good discussion,  but if your posts are laden with anti Leaf sentiment and hatred "for lack of a better word", you're the same as MM

Chris I'm not sure what you're talking about, I was just responding to Akrisoners post about the Sens. It's not my problem if you have thin skin and can't handle relevant rebuttal. I sure see an awful lot of anti Sens posts here but I guess they don't count. Most of my posts are based on stats with some opinion thrown in like my dislike for Mathews who can't even play defense and yes the odd jab here and there just for fun. So I'm wondering just what comment in particular you have an issue with, I have no prob discussing it with you.

Cheers

12 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

some opinion thrown in like my dislike for Mathews who can't even play defense and yes the odd jab here and there just for fun.

yeah, just for fun, lol

why jab? what do you care about Matthews? he's not on your team and never will be, it's miserable hatred, I don't understand it, but that's what it is, I don't give a flying damn about the sens or scabs unless it relates to the Leafs

Being Canadian, I once cheered for the sens and scabs when the Leafs wouldn't make the playoffs, not any more, since I have seen how their fans hate the Leafs, you're a typical example

On 12/24/2019 at 6:17 AM, moxie said:

what about your 3 or 4 AM private messages to me that are so messed up and misspelled they are barely discernible? is that alcohol? or the voices in your head?

14 hours ago, chris.brock said:

yeah, just for fun, lol

why jab? what do you care about Matthews? he's not on your team and never will be, it's miserable hatred, I don't understand it, but that's what it is, I don't give a flying damn about the sens or scabs unless it relates to the Leafs

Jeez I'm real sorry Chris, I didn't realize that opinions weren't allowed on this thread, unless their yours it seems. This is a hockey thread you know, not just a leafs one. Btw there is no miserable hatred here, that's just your misguided opinion. If the leafs were the only Canadian team left in the playoffs I would actually cheer for them. Seems like you're the one with hatred issues when it comes to the Sens and Habs. But seeing as how easy it is to get you going it's no wonder some folks like to poke at you, I think that's maybe what you don't understand.

I'm curious about one thing. You sure hate it when the term Laffs is used by MM but then you have no problem using the term Scabs instead of Habs. Kind of hypocritical don't you think? And of course you never jab at anyone else right?

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 6:55 AM, chris.brock said:

what about your 3 or 4 AM private messages to me that are so messed up and misspelled they are barely discernible? is that alcohol? or the voices in your head?

For someone who cries 'Hate' at the drop of a hat you sure carry a lot of it yourself. Investing in failure will do that to You.