2019-2020 Hockey Thread

12 hours ago, muskymatt said:

The Sens have so much of what the laffs are missing  

They play a hard fast paced game and will not back down. 

Fun to watch.

Try Not To Laugh Straight Face GIF - TryNotToLaugh StraightFace Lol GIFs

"so much of what the leafs are missing" whats that, 3rd and 4th line talent playing on the top line? 

"Fast" lol the leafs are perhaps the fastest team in the entire NHL. Ron Hainsey just an absolute rocket out there

"Will not back down" sounds a lot to me like a team that doesnt give up even when they are losing almost every night ahahaha

"fun to watch" if you consider watching your team lose almost every night "fun" then i guess you are right

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Try Not To Laugh Straight Face GIF - TryNotToLaugh StraightFace Lol GIFs

"so much of what the leafs are missing" whats that, 3rd and 4th line talent playing on the top line? 

"Fast" lol the leafs are perhaps the fastest team in the entire NHL. Ron Hainsey just an absolute rocket out there

"Will not back down" sounds a lot to me like a team that doesnt give up even when they are losing almost every night ahahaha

"fun to watch" if you consider watching your team lose almost every night "fun" then i guess you are right

I figure you're just getting on Matt's case but you do realize that the Leafs have only two more wins than the Sens so most of your points are moot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Every year one team wins Lord Stanley’s Cup...and 30 teams suck. 

Find it amusing how fans are quick to throw shade on Ottawa or Montreal when their own team is supposed to win the cup every year , yet ALWAYS fails miserably no matter whos owning, managing, scouting, coaching ,playing , parking cars, scanning tickets, selling popcorn, Carmel corn and beer for them. 

Yes, only one team wins the cup and the leafs won't be that team keeping the Suck Streak Alive 

Edited by moxie

1 hour ago, moxie said:

Find it amusing how fans are quick to throw shade on Ottawa or Montreal when their own team is supposed to win the cup every year , yet ALWAYS fails miserably no matter whos owning, managing, scouting, coaching ,playing , parking cars, scanning tickets, selling popcorn, Carmel corn and beer for them. 

Yes, only one team wins the cup and the leafs won't be that team keeping the Suck Streak Alive 

See??? Even when someone makes a completely generic hockey comment one of the Leaf hating bottom trollers comes along to try stir the pot. Brutal. That inferiority complex is alive and well with some of you clowns. Thanks for crawling out from under that rock and sharing your oh so thought provocative hockey opinion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

See??? Even when someone makes a completely generic hockey comment one of the Leaf hating bottom trollers comes along to try stir the pot. Brutal. That inferiority complex is alive and well with some of you clowns. Thanks for crawling out from under that rock and sharing your oh so thought provocative hockey opinion.

No hate here.  Call it as I see it. You're welcome!

Edited by moxie

On 12/11/2019 at 1:45 PM, smitty55 said:

I figure you're just getting on Matt's case but you do realize that the Leafs have only two more wins than the Sens so most of your points are moot.

for the most part...but really, the standings are what matters. The leafs got off to one of the worst starts they have had in a decade and are now trending in the right direction after a coaching change, meanwhile the sens are what 5 years away from even having a team that can make the playoffs again? Will the franchise survive long enough , or will they be the nordiques by the time they make the playoffs again?

Edited by AKRISONER

6 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

for the most part...but really, the standings are what matters. The leafs got off to one of the worst starts they have had in a decade and are now trending in the right direction after a coaching change, meanwhile the sens are what 5 years away from even having a team that can make the playoffs again? Will the franchise survive long enough , or will they be the nordiques by the time they make the playoffs again?

You really are dreaming. With the stock they have in the farm system and the number of their own picks they have and also the Shark's first round pick this year they will be doing quite well by then. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they're doing better than the leafs by then too. With 40% of the cap space taken up by four players and already in big time cap trouble I can't see any improvements happening in the near future. Meanwhile the Sens have tons of flexibility with all the ufa and rfa players they can let go of to make room for the high end prospects they have in their system like Drake Batherson for example, currently leading the AHL in points. Plus there are some highly touted d-men coming up the system like Brannstrom, Wolanin, and a very highly touted right shooting Finn Lassi Thomson who they selected in the first round last year. They are very excited about him, he's playing in the Finnish league this year and is expected to make a strong push to make the team next year. Excellent skater with great hockey sense, a strong offensive flair and a very accurate cannon of a shot from the blueline.

As for the franchise being in trouble that's a joke. Melnyk has said he will spend to the cap once the rebuild has taken place. Besides that, billionaire Guy Laliberte would buy the team in a flash if he did decide to sell. I wish he would, I'm not a fan of his at all.

Standings you say. The Sens are playing above expectations this year and the Leafs far below. Speaking of playoffs the Leafs aren't even in the playoffs right now, they're fourth in the wild card race lol. They've even allowed more goals against than the Sens this year. You have no decent back up goalie so Andersen will more than likely get burnt out from playing too much or get injured as well and then you're screwed. Your no.1 star player is a classless spoiled immature kid who still who gets his jollies from harassing and mooning a female security guard. He then got in trouble with the law over it and didn't even have the integrity to inform the team. He'll make a great captain I'm sure lol, unless he doesn't get it in which case he'll be a big sulk.

I'll leave with this. Sens fans this year finally have something to be real excited about, unlike the last two years. Now we can actually start to see the plan coming together in front of us and I can assure you there are no unhappy Sens fans this season, except maybe tank nation. Meanwhile I've seen a pile of posts from unhappy leafs fans bashing their team this season, and I don't mean just here. I'd say Sens fans are having much more fun this year for sure. Also if you care to recall, only 3 seasons ago we came a game 7 overtime goal away from making the finals. Meanwhile the leafs were out in the first round as usual while the Sens took out Boston, something the leafs sure can't do. But go ahead, keep on dreaming and planning that parade, I just don't see it happening any time soon, not the way they are constructed right now.

Cheers

smitty, kudos to you for actually writing an insightful post about another hockey team. I will put the passive agressive leafs bashing aside and commend you on actually saying something other than LAFFS SUCK, 1967! PLAN THE PARADE

I personally think the hole the leafs have dug is too deep to get out of. Their only saving grace is that theirs 1 easier spot to claim. I think tampa and boston are a lock, and the wildcard is out of the question. The nice thing is that theres a long shot to get that number 3 divisional spot, but the teams they are chasing are also very bad. Montreal, buffalo and florida arent really the cream of the crop. The leafs need a big run though because its hard to gain ground with loser points being handed out 

Edited by AKRISONER

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

smitty, kudos to you for actually writing an insightful post about another hockey team. I will put the passive agressive leafs bashing aside and commend you on actually saying something other than LAFFS SUCK, 1967! PLAN THE PARADE

I personally think the hole the leafs have dug is too deep to get out of. Their only saving grace is that they 1 spot to claim. I think tampa and boston are a lock, and the wildcard is out of the question. The nice thing is that theres a long shot to get that number 3 divisional spot, but the teams they are chasing are also very bad. Montreal, buffalo and florida arent really the cream of the crop. The leafs need a big run though because its hard to gain ground with loser points being handed out 

Tks Akri, I figure a hockey thread should be more about constructive debate and discussion as opposed to senseless bashing that accomplishes nothing. I will say that it does seem to come from both sides here but I don't really know how it all came about. Nothing wrong with some friendly barbs the odd time, it just depends on how one goes about it. I did say something about a parade but that is almost a universal comment where it concerns the Leafs.

So I just watched all the highlights from the game last night plus some of the TSN panel discussions. That's two games in a row now where the Leafs had lousy 3rd periods, Andersen just bailed them out against the Canucks but he sure didn't look too sharp last night, to me he's already looking tired after 6 straight starts. Even on a 95 second 2 man advantage for the Leafs they couldn't score and Sheldon didn't have much positive to say about most of the team. It doesn't matter what team it is, if they don't play for a full three periods they will lose more games than win. No points for Auston but at least Marner and Tavares have been clicking lately.

You had mentioned about the leafs trending in the right direction since the coaching change, but they are now 6-4, somewhat but not really all that much better than under Babs. If this keeps up much longer I can see Leafs nation really getting up in arms and it won't be pretty. Meanwhile the Flames are now 7-0 under their new coach so it's working well there.

Cheers

• Like 1

What the ??????

Get a freaking room you two......this is the battle of Ontario. 

The hate between the two sides is reciprocal......🤣😂

There is nothing much to say about the laffs other than they are blowing the chance they have been waiting 53 years for.

The Sens are what they are and it's not as bad as expected,  which is not good for the tankers.

Wow

🙄🙄

21 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Also if you care to recall, only 3 seasons ago we came a game 7 overtime goal away from making the finals.

I think this is what got the sens to their current state, a train wreck and an embarrassment to Canada. 

They had a good playoff run, played well and got some bounces, but then they assumed they were legitimate cup contenders. The next season they came back to reality, management and fans were appalled and over reacted, blowing up the team and getting virtually nothing in return.

I guess we have different opinions on that, lol.

Edited by chris.brock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I think this is what got the sens to their current state, a train wreck and an embarrassment to Canada. 

They had a good playoff run, played well and got some bounces, but then they assumed they were legitimate cup contenders. The next season they came back to reality, management and fans were appalled and over reacted, blowing up the team and getting virtually nothing in return.

I guess we have different opinions on that, lol.

Chris I was merely pointing out that at least we've recently had a great playoff run to be excited about as a fan base, you need to follow the context of the paragraph bud. You should chill man and not take everything so adversarially. I'm not Matt.  I'm starting to see where you're just kind of like/about as bad as the guys you're calling out lol. I figure it's developed on this thread over the years but regardless it doesn't really add much to the actual hockey conversation from either side. But I guess it's ok for you to react to a simple statement and bash the Sens with words like train wreck, embarrassment to Canada, appalled ?, and then spouting off about about trades you don't seem to have have much knowledge on. You can look up the Karlsson and  Stone 😦 trades to see what we got back in trades and prospects  if you want to actually bother.
Just the Dzingle trade of a rental 1.8M ufa contract got us two second round picks from Columbus and then Torts the almighty was happy enough to throw in Duclair as a sweetener. If you haven't heard that interview about him from Torts you should find it. Well he did well enough for 21 games that he was resigned for one year at 1.65M. Well guess what he has 15 goals in 32 games, that would put him second in scoring on your team Chris, just saying. I bet he's faster than anyone on the Leafs too. ;)  He's got a real good shot , not quite Mathews like but he can score from distance. Best of all this coaching team has made the most of his always known skill set and is transforming him into a real good and dangerous penalty killer too, to finally solidify his "identity" as a hockey player. Watch his shorty, it's a beauty. He is thriving on the prime ice time he's getting in all situations, his confidence is high, and he's the happiest and most productive in Ottawa he's ever been as an nhl player. He's close to home in Montreal and I can see him resigning here for quite reasonable numbers. Pretty good for what you call nothing in return Chris. Then again like you said you never watch or follow the team so there you go...

There is some basis to some points you made but it wasn't as bad as you portray it. There were two years of utter turmoil with ownership, dumping salary along with the problems in the dressing room.  Even though they did did offer Ek65 big numbers they knew he wouldn't stay. IMO Best thing they did was trading him., that contract was an anchor as San Jose will find out.

Cheers

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Chris I was merely pointing out that at least we've recently had a great playoff run to be excited about as a fan base, you need to follow the context of the paragraph bud. You should chill man and not take everything so adversarially. I'm not Matt. 

that's a fair comment, you do seem more reasonable and mature than the other clowns, I do know the Karlsson, Duchene and Stone trades, I'll chill, unless the LEAFS LOSE TONIGHT AND I"VE HAD A BUNCH OF BEERS, lol, just kidding

with all do respect, I think the sens playoff run did lead to a chain of irrational decisions, and at times the franchise seems like a circus for lack of a better word

Edited by chris.brock

I bet Torts has a bitter taste after that loss to Duclair's hatty lol

Even with the third period collapse they had the Sens still found a way to win. Although too much winning would not be a good thing. 

I think it's safe to say no one......no one .....expected the laffs to only have one more win than the Sens at this point in the season.

Edited by muskymatt