2019-2020 Hockey Thread

2 minutes ago, muskymatt said:

I'm thinking a big loss at the hands of the Oilers tonight. Will be good for the young guys to see pure talent like Draisaitl and McDavid. I can see more than a 7 goal performance by the Oilers.

yeah man, that makes total sense

kinda accelerate the rebuild, lol

1 hour ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

McJesus mad the Senaturds look like a pond hockey team a couple of times.

That rush through all 5 players was gold!!!! 😂

He sure did but still ended up with zero points and only one assist for 29. Those two quick goals knocked the Oilers off their game and Ottawa stifled their offense for the next two periods and kept the best PP in the league to 1 of 7. A well needed and real feel good win for the Sens.

3 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

The Oilers have one line. Shut it down and you win. Every team that plays them executes the exact same strategy so no secret there. 
When teams play the Sens they all use a strategy to win as welll...tie your skates. 

You do realize that the Sens have only one less win than the Leafs with a game in hand. Just sayin...

Also the Sens have a deserved rep around the league of being a hard working team that doesn't give up or quit like the leafs did against Philly, and that's from their no.1 player. In sports the worst four letter word that can be used for a team or player is quit. So much for the honeymoon with the new coach after all the hype. I still figure they'll make the playoffs but I can't see them going far like usual.

3 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

The Oilers have one line. Shut it down and you win. Every team that plays them executes the exact same strategy so no secret there. 

Actually McDavid and Draisaitl were on different lines last night. Also they are 1st in the Pacific division so I guess that strategy isn't working too well for most teams.

59 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

Actually McDavid and Draisaitl were on different lines last night. Also they are 1st in the Pacific division so I guess that strategy isn't working too well for most teams.

McDavid and Draisaitl have 102 points combined and the third highest player has 19. Nobody said shutting them down was easy but is the strategy. 

4 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

When teams play the Sens they all use a strategy to win as welll...tie your skates. 

The Sens play a disciplined, hard working style of hockey and unlike the laffs...…….quit is not in their vocabulary.

• Like 1

Just now, grimsbylander said:

Neither is fans or win!! ahhhh the team that nobody cares about...you must be sooooo proud. 😂

wow, that's actually kinda good....I like it! 😂

I can just imagine the fan base of the laffs when they miss the playoffs this year 😂.

This is totally a possibility at this point, look at the downward spiral they have been in since the beginning of November and watching the laffs game last night it appears they are in big trouble and this will only get worse.

The coach had Nylander, Marner and Matthews all on the same line which tells me that with no defense and no goaltending the coach is so desperate to put a W up that he is loading one line hoping to overpower the opposition......apparently that isn't going to work either.

2 minutes ago, muskymatt said:

wow, that's actually kinda good....I like it! 😂

I can just imagine the fan base of the laffs when they miss the playoffs this year 😂.

This is totally a possibility at this point, look at the downward spiral they have been in since the beginning of November and watching the laffs game last night it appears they are in big trouble and this will only get worse.

The coach had Nylander, Marner and Matthews all on the same line which tells me that with no defense and no goaltending the coach is so desperate to put a W up that he is loading one line hoping to overpower the opposition......apparently that isn't going to work either.

Truthfully, when I think of Ottawa I don't think of the word quit...but it rhymes with quit!!! lol

No secret the Leafs are struggling but saying no goaltending is completely incorrect.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-starting-goalies-ranked/

Craig Anderson 31st!!!  

4 minutes ago, hatethelaffs said:

And Spezza how's that working out ?? The master plan of infiltration into  laff land has been successful ......next the self imploding Ceci. And then there was the Kadri hit....you can't make this stuff up pure gold keep chirping boys we'll just keep cooking in your kitchen🤣

Does Matt know his Mini Me is loose?? LOL

Welcome back little troller...almost up to 25 thought inspiring posts!!! 

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

9 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

McDavid and Draisaitl have 102 points combined and the third highest player has 19. Nobody said shutting them down was easy but is the strategy. 

I realize that. I was just pointing out that Ottawa was still able to shut down both of them on different lines and still score. McDavid was -2, Draisaitl was -2  and two D-men were -4. They did a real good job after the shaky start where Andy kept them in the game.

So I have something to put out to the Leafs fans here. There's no question that while Andersen is a decent goalie, the team is one injury to him away from having no nhl quality goalie to back him up. Considering the shaky standings now for the Leafs if that were to happen I doubt they would make the playoffs.

The Sens have no playoff aspirations of course, and a big pile of ufa player contracts, including Craig Anderson that they can play with come the deadline. Sure his play has slipped somewhat over the last two seasons as he's gotten older, but he hasn't had a good team in front of him either for the most part. Saying that, with the team playing a much better structured and defensive style of play this season in his last 5 games his average is .932, best run I've seen him play since last year. Ottawa has Nilsson and now Hogberg on one ways for next year so it makes sense for Ottawa to get the best return they can for him.

It wouldn't surprise me that Dorion has already got a call or two about Andy even though it's kind of early in the season yet. There are a few teams in the league with shaky backup goal tending this season. Whenever the subject does come up the Leafs are one of the top teams that could have interest in him, and it makes total sense from a hockey standpoint with any team that has strong playoff expectation. He is no doubt the best UFA goaltender available for rent this season and I don't recall him mentioning retiring yet so I could still see him maybe doing a trade and sign a short extension even. He has a 10 team no trade.

So even though his cap hit is 4.75M,  interested teams with cap space could afford to trade for him earlier and beat out other contenders without that flexibility like the Leafs. So here's my question?  He would be a solid back up for sure for many teams. Would it be worthwhile for the Leafs to jump the gun and trade off a contract to make some room somehow and maybe a pick too.?  I'm just speculating but it makes sense from a management standpoint.

Cheers