2019-2020 Hockey Thread

3 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I didn't have to apologize, Art didn't ask me to or anything, I did because I wanted to

like Don said, it's not educated discussions, it's mostly bwahh a haha laffs suck dick comments that get posted, it's dumb, it gets tiresome and frustrating, look at MM's post today, it's a typical example, trolling, looking to provoke somebody, hoping for a rebuttal and an argument 

like Marzana said, the haters are just as interested in watching and posting about the Leafs as the Leaf fans are

Chris I wasn't inferring that you were forced by anyone, but you you did feel bad enough the next day after reading your post that you felt you had to apologize and that's fine, you realized and admitted that you may have been over zealous and I respected you for it. Just a guess but I'm thinking perhaps there may have been some alcohol involved hehe.

As for the rest I can see how that could get annoying for sure, specially if that's all it is and it's mostly coming from from the same direction. I can't really say as I have little history in this thread until lately so I don't know how many Sens fans have commented on this thread over the seasons.

Anyways, for me the Sens Leafs rivalry was the best thing that ever happened for hockey in Ottawa as a fan, even more so than the Habs who we actually beat in our first ever game. Tickets are still always the most expensive of the year, even more than the Habs still,  but most fun in the stands is usually for both visiting teams. They are both always special games.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

Anyone else think maybe there was a conspiracy to tank just to force the firing of Babcock ?

It wouldn't surprise me, and honestly it was about 23 games overdue. He should have gotten the boot at the end of the playoffs last season, the team as we can see is a Ferrari so to speak, and Babcock would drive it like an E bike.

Also if anyone is interested in the coaching situation with regards to guys who shouldn't be coaching due to things they should never have been able to do, give Daniel Carcillo a follow on twitter, he's been posting stories he's been given from Junior players etc that generally revolve around abuse from coaches indifferent leagues around Canada

Edited by leaf4
Add

21 hours ago, dave524 said:

Anyone else think maybe there was a conspiracy to tank just to force the firing of Babcock ?

Oh yeah for sure! Lead by the young guys!  You could read their body language in September. Now that the inmates are running the institution it'll be interesting to see if there's any team discipline or accountablility.

If I'm Dumbass I'm polishing my resume as well.  Right after the playoffs he'll be gone too!

I can guarantee you every coach (not just hockey) at every level is looking in the rear view mirror.  Ever say anything or do anything 20 years ago that wouldn't fly today??? Any body you ever worked with or for that has fallen on hard times in life and could be looking for a scape goat to blame all their problems on??? OF COURSE we all have. 

If I'm a young guy now thinking about coaching..... I wouldn't recommend it to anybody based on today's political correctness!

1 hour ago, Oggie said:

Oh yeah for sure! Lead by the young guys!  You could read their body language in September. Now that the inmates are running the institution it'll be interesting to see if there's any team discipline or accountablility.

If I'm Dumbass I'm polishing my resume as well.  Right after the playoffs he'll be gone too!

I wouldn’t say the players quit, they weee playing a still that they aren’t meant to play You can’t buy a mustang and expect to drive it like a Jeep. That’s what happened here. Dubas built a team based on skill and speed and Babcock wanted them to play a grinding game that doesn’t match the skill set. It’s not a surprise it didn’t work 

59 minutes ago, Oggie said:

I can guarantee you every coach (not just hockey) at every level is looking in the rear view mirror.  Ever say anything or do anything 20 years ago that wouldn't fly today??? Any body you ever worked with or for that has fallen on hard times in life and could be looking for a scape goat to blame all their problems on??? OF COURSE we all have. 

If I'm a young guy now thinking about coaching..... I wouldn't recommend it to anybody based on today's political correctness!

Hitting and kicking players and using the N-word wasn’t cool 20 years ago either. There’s no point looking to blame the players for Bill Peters’ issues, it’s all his own doing. 

• Like 2

Im not huge on holding people accountable today for words they said in the past. But using the N word to a black man in the last what 50 years?? Youve gotta do better than that. I think the flames were willing to forgive him for that because it wasnt specifically directed at the player...schemantics, But then the second scandle came out, and the flames were already looking to fire the guy

When the kicking and punching players came out?...forget it you are done.

I pray to god that there are people smart enough to differentiate people saying bad words in the past vs using the N word with People of Colour, or physically abusing players. I pretty much guarantee that if we were to put a recorder on every single thing a person has said in their life and our jobs depended on us never saying anything out of line, every single person would lose their job. Theres a fine line, but I think Peters getting fired is a large combination of factors rather than one single specific problem that resulted in his firing.

Kinda funny, in 2019 a hockey coach gets fired for stupid stuff he said and did, but a known racist draft dodging blundering idiot is the president of the United States lol But I digress...Please dont reply to this comment, i dont want the thread to get locked ahhahaha

1 hour ago, zenon11 said:

Hitting and kicking players and using the N-word wasn’t cool 20 years ago either. There’s no point looking to blame the players for Bill Peters’ issues, it’s all his own doing. 

Haven't heard any details but if that's accurate then he made his own bed. Not many coaches went that far even back then.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, dave524 said:

They did get him fired and that is unprofessional and indicative of overpaid dancing monkeys but  the simple truth is they just ain't that good. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, muskymatt said:

Didn't the laffs just come off a six game losing streak?

Too funny!

🤣

so you guys have your panties in a knot because this thread is mostly Leaf talk, I talk scabs, but you bring it back to the Leafs with yet another inane Leaf jab??? you guys are trolls, period! 

19 minutes ago, moxie said:

They did get him fired and that is unprofessional and indicative of overpaid dancing monkeys but  the simple truth is they just ain't that good. 

harsh, tough words, the timing is interesting, seconds after their 1st lost in the post babcock era

2 hours ago, moxie said:

back your big darn mouth up with $ if they ain't that good

Leafs make the playoffs?

Leafs finish ahead of the scabs, sens?

I don't even know what your team is, or if you even have one, probably just a troll hater like the rest of these posters 

Well never did see him. Thought maybe at the end of the game after the win, he would be dancing up the ice dawning  the leaf flag..  Atleast he got a full 4 periods, and a win to watch. :good::canadian:

Freddie was in the zone.

Edited by misfish

just read an article about how Marner’s dad avoided Babcock ... probably would have not been very nice outcome for Babcock...he didn’t agree with his tactics concerning his son ..

lol, really ???? what a joke !!! what kind of coach , let alone person would ask one of his players for a list of slackers and then share that with the team ... lol ... how does this happen ? and they still made the playoffs ???? ...

i’m not a coach, but i know that is bull&$@$

hope they can focus on playing with a purpose now .. good riddance you $50 million joke !!!!

game review-

my wife and I haven't done one dinner, one movie, one show, nothing, alone together without my son since he was born and now he's almost 5, that's by choice because we both prefer to be together as a family, tonight's Leaf game was a first, just my wife and I

it was cool, I'm sure my wife liked the night out and the Canadianess of watching the Leafs on a Saturday night in TO with 20 k other people.

sitting in golds, the crowd looked good, way better than I expected, not many people in suits, lots of young people slamming beers, lots of people looking redneck, damn, it didn't work out, you could hear a pin drop, no rowdiness, no yelling, no banter with the Eichel jerseys, I don't get it, 

a highlight of the night was after the game when a Sabres fan kid from Kitchener on the go train said I like your retro Clark jersey, I said "dude, this isn't retro, this is my generation" and we chatted for the rest of the ride, it was good, honest, polite conversation from 2 people who like different teams

it was cool but damn that, way too boring, way too quiet, no energy and no passion, its stuffed 

11 hours ago, chris.brock said:

it was cool but damn that, way too boring, way too quiet, no energy and no passion, its stuffed 

You got that right, I thought maybe it was just the coverage on TV. The only uproar was when the leafs almost scored the 1st goal or when they did score. Silence, then roar,then silence again. :dunno:

Funny that my son and I were talking about that last night. He thought the Scotiabank needs to do far more with the fans between whistles to engage them. Get that place rockin’. Who the heck is gonna start screaming all by themselves when surrounded by 20,000 people???!! Other than maybe Chris I guess 🤣 That would work in some arenas but too many people at the Leaf games. In Ottawa you could order popcorn from the kid working the other side of the rink!!! Lol 😂 

Edited by grimsbylander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1