2019-2020 Hockey Thread

5 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

It's been long known that Commodore has an axe to grind with Babcock over his treatment when Babcock was his coach. But there is always some truth to every story and when enough people comment on Babcock's stubbornness - even to the point of hurting a team, there's probably some truth to it. Besides, look at the changes Keefe made in his first game and without benefit of spending time getting to know the team! When a new coach can come in and make instant changes because they're so obvious and have success, well, that speaks volumes. I think Tyson Barrie and Commodore feel exactly the same way.

20 hours ago, chris.brock said:

funny story- 

in high school, when crap teams were in town, 

We were sitting in steep Blue seats behind the goal on a Saturday night, it was 4 or 5 nothing STL when the Leafs

Hey, wait a minute---it was a 'crap' team yet they were beating the Leafs by 4 or 5?? What does that make the Leafs??😁😀🤐

This Mike Babcock saga grows every day... Supposedly played mind games with his players to get them to play better. I also have to wonder about the Spezza ordeal, he deserves to be in the lineup without a doubt and Babcock scratching him in front of all his family and friends (supposedly bought 30+ tickets) is low.

https://theleafsnation.com/2019/11/24/tulloch-why-the-leafs-needed-to-fire-mike-babcock/

IMG_20191125_103149.jpg

11 minutes ago, leaf4 said:

This Mike Babcock saga grows every day... Supposedly played mind games with his players to get them to play better. I also have to wonder about the Spezza ordeal, he deserves to be in the lineup without a doubt and Babcock scratching him in front of all his family and friends (supposedly bought 30+ tickets) is low.

https://theleafsnation.com/2019/11/24/tulloch-why-the-leafs-needed-to-fire-mike-babcock/

IMG_20191125_103149.jpg

i dont know...cry me a river 

I think of it like this...who are widely recognized as the most lethal well trained employees in the world?

Navy Seals/special forces. Look at their training. Its not a walk in the park and they arent paid 11 million dollars a year either.

Its widely known that scotty bowmans  players didnt like him either, he was a total hard ass. His players like winning though. This screams "my feelings are hurt, im offended"

If im going to war, my sargeant doesnt need to be my best cuddle buddy, he needs to get me through the war and to finish the job.

I get it, theres some seriously questionable stuff babcok did like sitting spezza, this ones a bit weird, but at the same time translates "accountability to your teammates" he may have gone about it the wrong way, but the way hockey twitter etc is blowing up right now with people saying "OH GOD HOW DARE BABCOCK BE A HARDASS AND MEAN TO HIS ROOKIES WHEN THEY ARE PLAYING LIKE POOP" give me a break.

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

I think you need to read the article. It's not about him being mean to rookies. 

Marner was a rookie and Babcock wasn’t happy with how he was playing. He also wasn’t happy with how Naz or Bozak we’re playing. He asked marner to list the guys on how hard they worked and then told everyone what marner said without his permission. It rattled marner and made him upset. 

mike commodore is butthurt still cause babcock called him fat and useless and ended his career.

Sheldon Keefe was also coached by an absolute maniac, the problem with david frost is that he was also a total weirdo and sexually abused the kids as well. The guy psychologically brainwashed those kids into being ruthless soldiers for him. And they won and won and won. It’s really messed up because he did it to kids knowing he could take advantage of them and monetarily gain from them making the nhl and representing them as their agent. That’s what’s horrible about that story. 

my point is that unless you have played in the NHL, you have no friggin clue what it takes/how you need to coach in order to get people to do stuff that seems inconceivable. Psychologically breaking people down and then building them up is part of how you do it. Kadri came out two days ago and said he likes Babcock and to be honest he probably owes some of the success in his career to him.

i talked to my dad about this. I asked him why in the hell did you push forward and harder when your command were so brutal to you while you were training in the  military, and his reply was that it simply was because you knew that they were pushing you to your limits for the sake of making you feel like you were capable of doing anything. You wanted to prove them wrong. They psychologically and physically toughened them until they were hard as nails and ready to fight through anything.

theres no crying to the HR department, that’s what you get paid for. You really think players that play for Bill bellichic are big fans of his personality? They like winning, that’s what makes it worth it in the end. I get it, times have changed and players need to be patted on the back, but hockey doesn’t need to turn into the bloody NBA where the stars are a bunch pre-madonas that cry about their coaches and teammates while flopping and diving all over the court.

look at Lebron, the guy runs the entire organization, gets coaches fired, talks crap about his teammates, pulls out the race card any time someone questions him. It’s a joke. 

Edited by AKRISONER

8 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

There's more than just a little irony in that statement. 

That’s fine I haven’t coached or played in the NHL. 

look at the personalities of the best coaches in the nhl, and football for that matter. You can somewhat predict/understand what they are all about. Times are changing and players need to be nurtured more and congratulated for doing a great job, so yes this new wave of players require some different coaching. But at the same time look at the kind of players that all of these young guys have turned into under babcock. Mitch marner a small offensive wiz is a legitimate defensive threat penalty killer, surely Babcock deserves no credit for that because he was mean to Mitch before.

This ties right back to the culture of participation medals that we are moving towards. Holding people to 2019 standards for things that happened in the past. We know babcock is oldschool. He coached oldschool, he was mean, a hard ass, ruthless.

don cherry was told by a coach in Rochester that if he didn’t play with a broken foot that the coach would personally end his career.

im sure torts has never made a player mad either right?

Edited by AKRISONER

Seriously LOL. You've gone from training Navy Seals to giving participation medals in this conversation. A little overly theatrical don't you think?? I think the NHL has made some positive ground since Don Cherry played in Rochester??? maybe??

It's dead simple to understand that coaches need to be tough so there's no need to spin this into something it's not. Nobody is expecting to hear there was daily hug fests in the locker room. But to go off about how you have to "break guys down", military training methods and men play with broken ankles is ridiculous. 

Teams that read this can save a fortune on psychologists, sports science experts, performance coaches, etc once they learn all you have to do is break them down mentally. 

It’s fine, you fail to see the direct correlation between the structure of the military and professional sports franchises. I think the parallels between hockey and anything else in the world, the military is  about as close as anything gets. Difference of opinions.

group of warriors with a hard physical task, teamed against a foe, lead by a group of non conbatitve leaders, that strategically plan how to win. Winner is the group that physically is stronger, more skilled, tougher, has better moral, has the better strategy and is more committed to the cause. Throw a little luck in the mix.

i guess I’m crazy though

Edited by AKRISONER

I don't see how what babs did to Marner could ever be a constructive exercise for the team, it's divisive and ignorant 

I'm thinking babs is a monster and we wasted a lot of time having him as our coach

O Dog just polled some former players under babs, they all said he's a terrible person

• Like 2

20 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I don't see how what babs did to Marner could ever be a constructive exercise for the team, it's divisive and ignorant 

I'm thinking babs is a monster and we wasted a lot of time having him as our coach

O Dog just polled some former players under babs, they all said he's a terrible person

WHAT??

You're the same Laffite fan that was praising Babs as the second coming, the fix all of fixers,,,,,the savior lmao...….What a load of crap. The dysfunctional laffs and their desperate for a win fans are so out to lunch it's comical.

Babs probably has a totally different recollection of how this went sour and ended up in this never ending dumpster fire that is the laffs.

From what I see you had a coach come over from a classy org like the Wings and went to a bottom dwelling, poorly built team full of young, unproven spoiled teenagers who think their sh*@ doesn't stink. Add to that no defence and no goaltending and what was Babs supposed to do? Whining Matthews wants more ice time, whining Marner wants more money, whining Nylander wants more money......then all the little grit you had is traded away and what do you have?

A dysfunctional group of wannabe superstars that you can't coach and a GM who can't even grow facial hair who built a weak, sniffling whining team.

And you blame the coach?????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smitty55 said:

I don't come to this thread very often but from what I see for the most part this isn't a hockey thread it's a Leafs thread.

Cheers

This is an Ontario fishing forum after all. And the leafs fan base is the biggest in the entire NHL, so it’s not surprising there is a disproportionate amount of leafs chatter, but matt is the only Ottawa fan here lol the ratios don’t add up. I think we know why!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

This is an Ontario fishing forum after all. And the leafs fan base is the biggest in the entire NHL, so it’s not surprising there is a disproportionate amount of leafs chatter, but matt is the only Ottawa fan here lol the ratios don’t add up. I think we know why!

Just keeping you guys honest!

🤣

It's ok Matt it's like sticking your finger in an outlet you obviously don't have to be too smart to be a Laff fan. Arkisoner is the know it all on the board gets put in his place daily on here you'd think the kid would learn but he's a gluton for the punishment I think him and Chris like it . The expert on everything and the master of nothing typical know it all . I especially love his 6 paragraph answers it makes it so obvious how clueless he is and how much he needs attention and for everybody to like him .....biggest napoleon complex on here. I bet he clenches the whole time during Laff games 😂 There's hockey fans and then there's Laff fans.......