2019-2020 Hockey Thread

Don Cherry has been let go. Grew up watching Don and never missed a coaches corner growing up but was honestly surprised the last few years that they still had him around. One of those things where they should have called it quits before things got worse. He was largely incoherent and very often his points were not delivered as sharply as back in the day.

A canadian legend regardless. Even more sad that it all ended over something related to rememberance day.

5 hours ago, Squid said:

Do you have to go to church to show that you are religious? Not wearing a poppy is not disrespectful and long as you remember the sacrifice.

Apples and oranges... the poppy drive helps to fund veterans programs as the are severely underfunded by our government.

HH

4 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

How are the Sens doing Matt? 😜

Leafs are 4-4-2 in their last 10. 10 points

Sens are 6-4-0 in their last 10. 12 points

If you go by expectations Sens are doing far better this year. Dubas has really put them in a bad spot this year with no cap space. Plus he did the Sens a huge favour by taking Ceci and now having to try and stick up for Cody to cover his ass for a bad trade.

Pageau, a real good third line center leads the league in +/- at 19, almost twice as much as "superstar" Mathews at 10 who has 2 more games and 11 more points

Just sayin...

Edited by smitty55
Fixed stat

17 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

Leafs are 4-4-2 in their last 10. 10 points

Sens are 6-4-0 in their last 10. 12 points

If you go by expectations Sens are doing far better this year. Dubas has really put them in a bad spot this year with no cap space. Plus he did the Sens a huge favour by taking Ceci and now having to try and stick up for Cody to cover his ass for a bad trade.

Pageau leads the league in +/- at 19, almost twice as much as Mathews at 10 who has 2 more games and over twice as many points.

Just sayin...

Pretty much sums it up! 

Add to it the laffs were expected by the fans to win 82 game and sweep the playoffs in 16 games and the Sens were expected to finish last and suck doing it.

Is that 5 losses in a row for the laffs?

Talk in the hockey circles is there is a big problem with Matthews only wanting to play an offence game and not a 200 ft game. 

No grit, no defense and questionable goaltending. 

Not bad for 20 games into the season.

Actually it's 3 losses in a row for the leafs. Things aren't looking all that well in the center of the universe. But it's not just TO. Boston is L4, Buffalo L6, Preds L3, Golden Knights and Ducks at L4.  Doesn't surprise me over all, there's usually a settling in period over the first quarter of the season. some surprising teams though. Keeps things lively, that's what I like.

It gets even more interesting. I just looked at the standings and if the Sens were to win those two games in hand to reach 20 they would have as many wins at 9 that the Leafs have now. I listen to lots of the Ottawa sports radio station and fans are getting concerned about the team finishing far too high in the standings, 27th now.

I went on tsn and watched a couple segments of overdrive just to see what going on there and boy most players,  Dubas and Babs are taking it good from all four of the guys. Things like "how come players come here and don't play as well as they did before, not just Barrie.  Hey Babs many it's your systems that aren't working well, not that the guys need to work harder and better. Craig Button goes back 65 games where the same defensive problems have been there for the Leafs. Dubas has no previous experience as a GM, and he's never negotiated contracts before so he has no knowledge to base decisions on"  Anyway, it was all like that. Check it out folks.

Cheers

What the hay happened to the leafs guys??? They are sitting in 9th place in the conference this morning??? Funny how trotz can take a haphazard team like the isles and make them into contenders in a mere 1 season and a bit. Babcock doesn't seem to control his team the way Trotz does.

On 11/12/2019 at 9:16 AM, BillM said:

You completely missed Dons message, although I'm not surprised.  

I am not surprised that you did not understand my message. Oh well. Oh and I know very well what Don stated. Seems to me that you do not want to accept the truth. Like Don said, I should have used a different word. See he knows he was wrong but not you lol. 

1 hour ago, Squid said:

I am not surprised that you did not understand my message. Oh well. Oh and I know very well what Don stated. Seems to me that you do not want to accept the truth. Like Don said, I should have used a different word. See he knows he was wrong but not you lol. 

Let's keep that Bull in the other thread :)

As predicted the laffs have mounting injuries and are now 4-4-2 and on a 4 game losing streak. This isn't going to get better any time soon and I bet it isn't much fun in the laffs dressing room, which will only make things worse. Dubas's inexperience is showing big time and Babs is looking like an old dog who needs to be retired. Still no grit, defense or #1 goaltending because Shanny and Dubas built a team based on high talented self serving, stat oriented players who don't, or can't play a 200 ft game.

Ahhhh….the dreaded blue and white disease....the gift that keeps on giving 🤣

I can guarantee that teams are not prepping too hard for games against the laffs. Discombobulated, and broken moral.

GO SENS GO!

Not sure if you have read or heard Matt, but they released Hutch . Waived him.  Seems the back up was the problem . Not being able to hold the team.  Seems it is not the issue, and I think like Chris said way back, time for a coaching change.  And you are not far off about the over paid thing. They got their money, so just skate around. I hate this part. Paid for what ? Someone said way back, play to earn your pay. If you do not perform, you don't get paid 100%.  I wonder how many teams would profit from this ? I,ll bet the team owners would make more then they pay, the way it looks now.

• Like 1