2019-2020 Hockey Thread

The Leafs are one or two injuries away from not making the playoffs  and it'll be some luggen that runs Marner or Kerfoot or Rielly because he knows he won't be challenged.  I wonder if there's grit on  this team , other than Hyman, that just hasn't shown itself.  It'll be interesting to see if Doug Gilmour behind the bench can sprinkle some of his grit across the team.

29 minutes ago, Oggie said:

The Leafs are one or two injuries away from not making the playoffs  and it'll be some luggen that runs Marner or Kerfoot or Rielly because he knows he won't be challenged.  I wonder if there's grit on  this team , other than Hyman, that just hasn't shown itself.  It'll be interesting to see if Doug Gilmour behind the bench can sprinkle some of his grit across the team.

Most teams in the NHL are one or two injuries away from not making the playoffs but yeah, they're short on grit. I never think of Hyman and grit at the same time!

I don't think the hit on Kerfoot was a clean hit , he put his shoulder into Kerfoot's head . i would classify that as a dirty hit. 

It would be nice if the Leafs defencemen protected themselves when they see a check coming, put their elbows up or their stick. They would probably take a penalty but make it worth it. 

If they took roughing penalties over hooking and tripping calls , i think babcock would like that better, i hope

I'd say this guy is underqualified for the tough guy role. They need a bonafide league tough guy that can play on the fourth line on a regular shift.

I agree Hyman isn't a tough guy but he is willing to get his shirt dirty. I see that in Trevor Moore as wll  except he doesn't have the stature.

the guys on AM 590 radio seem to think it's Dubas and his belief that skill will win over grit in the long term in the new NHL, it's unproven, and I don't agree, but he's sticking to his theory and there won't be any changes and no bonafide tough guys coming until Dubas gets fired

these are 2 games the Leafs could win and stretch the streak to 5 before the schedule gets tougher, it would bump them up pretty good in the standings and help negate their lack luster start to the season 

Edited by chris.brock

On 11/7/2019 at 2:03 PM, Oggie said:

I really enjoy reading your posts guys. But I have to ask. Are we talking about the playoffs around the time that there are leaves on the trees that haven't lost the leaves from this year? Or is it Leafs? One of the reasons I stopped being a bonified Hockey fan was when I realized the gardens were planted and I already had a dozen rounds of Golf in and Pickerel season started before the 1st puck of the Stanley Cup was dropped. Oggie, there are going to be more than a few injuries between now and next summer man. 

another Saturday night loss, I've had enough of Dubas and Babcock, grow some balls Shanny and do something

AM is a prodigy, being wasted because of bab's noodle, AM looks disgruntled and pissed off and I don't blame him

edit- I'm darn pissed and have had enough with this stupidity, the current system obviously isn't working

Edited by chris.brock

1 hour ago, chris.brock said:

another Saturday night loss, I've had enough of Dubas and Babcock, grow some balls Shanny and do something

AM is a prodigy, being wasted because of bab's noodle, AM looks disgruntled and pissed off and I don't blame him

edit- I'm darn pissed and have had enough with this stupidity, the current system obviously isn't working

Turn on the Flames/Blues game and you will instantly see what's missing with the Leafs.

• Like 1

They play the Black Hawks on the road on sunday and lots of road games coming up, should be interesting.

I am not sure how many hits Timashov threw last night , but i think he leads the Leafs in that category or maybe Moore.

Barrie almost hit someone in the head with a slapshot from the point, now i know why players don't want to stand in front of the net . 

1 hour ago, mikeh said:

Barrie almost hit someone in the head with a slapshot from the point, now i know why players don't want to stand in front of the net . 

Did you see the Jets game the other day?

Little got smoked in the ear hole by a slap shot from the point by Nikolaj Ehlers!!!

Punctured eardrum, 30 stitches, vertigo and bleeding in his brain as a result.

Looked like it would not be pleasant at all.

Don't even need to be in front of the net to take one.

https://thehockeywriters.com/bryan-little-brain-injury-severity-impact/

3 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Did you see the Jets game the other day?

Little got smoked in the ear hole by a slap shot from the point by Nikolaj Ehlers!!!

Punctured eardrum, 30 stitches, vertigo and bleeding in his brain as a result.

Looked like it would not be pleasant at all.

Don't even need to be in front of the net to take one.

https://thehockeywriters.com/bryan-little-brain-injury-severity-impact/

Man that would suck. Hopefully he can get a quick and full recovery.

gotta have a better than .860 save percentage to stay in the NHL

Yes the leafs left him out to dry, but hutch wasnt good enough on enough goals this year that the leafs are going to try something else. I suspect that this times perfectly with the return of zach hyman. The leafs 100% need to move a few pieces in order to be cap compliant while Hyman is playing. What that means to me is that Dubas is shopping the backup goaltender market very very hard at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

I hope some of the leafs have a good hard look at themselves as they bye to Hutch. They left him out to dry like yesterday's laundry.

Already feel sorry for who-ever they get to replace him!
HH

Ya, that game last night was not on him. Piss poor playing by his team mates. Sorry if that comment offended anyone, but the leafs are not looking like we all thought at all.

• Like 1