2019-2020 Hockey Thread

8 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Plus its not like it's a whole year ahead, to my knowledge the NHL players contract still consists of 26 weekly payments starting October.

Actually, it can be several years ahead.  E.g. Nylander has already been paid 40% of his entire six year contract; and he hasn't even played a full season yet.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/william-nylander-15746/

It is going to be interesting who the leafs keep, sandin, gracco,elyniuk,archibald and harper all looked good last night. I like elyniuk , harper and archibald as they are bigger and can bodycheck. Something the leafs are lacking.

22 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

most of the high profile rfa's have now signed, I guess Nylander and Marner didn't set a precedent, I guess Dubas is soft or maybe an idiot, unfit for the job?

All of those RFA's signed bridge deals.

Our guys signed longer term contracts. 

BIG difference.

10 hours ago, chris.brock said:

most of the high profile rfa's have now signed, I guess Nylander and Marner didn't set a precedent, I guess Dubas is soft or maybe an idiot, unfit for the job?

The only win by any of those gm’s Was The rantanen signing. Bridge deals are typically considered to be a hold over for both the player and the team where neither party has won. I 100% agree that Dubas overpaid marner, the Matthews deal and the Nylander deal are both totally fine. Don’t lose track of the fact that just because John Tavares is making 11 million that he was actually offered 12+ to stay in Long Island or go elsewhere. Give Nylander the season to judge whether he’s worth 6.9 the way him and Matthews looked so far tells me it’s looking potentially like a very very good deal.

the bridge deals you are seeing 100% reflect the exact problem that Toronto and marner we’re having during negotiations. Marner wanted a bridge deal as well reason being? A new TV deal plus the introduction of legal gambling revenues will be hitting the NHL in 3 years meaning that the cap is set to increase by a very significant margins 3 years from now...shocker, that’s exactly when all of these bridge deals are set to be renegotiated. Everyone is going to want a new deal to get a piece of that extra revenue chunk, meanwhile Toronto will have all of their top players already locked up, while also having ever increasing flexibility to build the supporting roster around them. The expectation here is that Toronto has a solid 5 year window to strongly compete. That’s hard to pull off, look at how long the jets and calgary’s Windows lasted? 1 year and now Winnipeg is going to struggle to even make the playoffs and Calgary is expected to have serious regression after they had a pile of luck last year go their way with injuries and older players basically having career years.

If Nylander puts up close up 60+ points which he very easily could do if Matthews stays healthy, that contract looks dynamite. And don’t bring up old contracts in the argument, Sydney Crosby makes 8.7 million a year, Nathan McKinnon makes 5. You can’t make those comparisons.

Marner is overpaid for sure but Matthews and Nylander probably aren’t.

Edited by AKRISONER

21 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

All of those RFA's signed bridge deals.

Our guys signed longer term contracts. 

BIG difference.

Rantanen and Connor are bridge deals???

As for naming a Leafs captain, I wouldn't burden any of the players the extra pressure and responsibility of being captain at this point. The Toronto fans and media are intense enough. I'd just stay status quo for now.

8 hours ago, chris.brock said:

As for naming a Leafs captain, I wouldn't burden any of the players the extra pressure and responsibility of being captain at this point. The Toronto fans and media are intense enough. I'd just stay status quo for now.

As far as the captains roll goes Chris, they are there ON the ice to talk to the officials and to be a team leader.  The coach is the one that should be doing the talking to the media. NOT the players. Their job is to play the game.

babcock has guaranteed an announcement. My guess is that they are throwing JT up as the captain. I wish it was AM so you can say he’s the face of the franchise, but I know that JT Is the obvious better choice. He’s cool, calm, collected, level, plays the game the right way all of the time, and already has the experience being “that guy”

2 hours ago, BillM said:

Habs will be fun to watch this season for sure.   

They will be tougher to beat than last year. Well rounded 4 lines and a strong defensive core. As fast or faster than last year so they will definitely gives teams fits with their constant pressure.