2019-2020 Hockey Thread

4 hours ago, smitty55 said:

You do realize it is a criminal charge. Sure he's more than likely to cut some sort of deal but it's not for sure, in the States they take some things far more seriously than up here.

Personally I think they should just electrocute him for this.  Think of the children!!!!!!

She said she confronted the group, who she believed to be intoxicated, and during that interaction Matthews withdrew from the conversation and dropped his pants and grabbed his butt cheeks.

She said that Matthews kept his underwear on.

Edited by BillM

No proof he was the one that tried to enter the car, he neve exposed himself. Look at the charge itself, it’s a drunken disorderly charge. No harrasment, no indecent exposure, no physical harm.

he was charged for being intoxicated in public...that’s it

the PTSD deal? What the hell kind of person thinks they’d make a good security guard if they are scared of people at night time? Also important to note, apparently AM was also accompanied by women at the time of the incident as well.

I vote for immediate lashing, public humiliation death march down bay street, followed by crucifixion on the steps of queens park

On 9/24/2019 at 4:25 AM, AKRISONER said:

I agree physicality is an important aspect of the game. But I don’t think it’s shown through fighting In today’s NHL. 

Tonight Suzuki shot on Freddie after an obvious high stick then later threw his knee into AM's knee. 

Who on the Leafs is going to do anything about it? Nobody. The opposition can do whatever they want with no fear and no repercussion. 

8 hours ago, BillM said:

You're looking at this way too closely.   This is getting blown so far out of proportion it's laughable.   Not named captain because of this? Criminal conviction  Really?  LOL!!!  

Exactly.

the media is out of control and this person accusing AM is gold digging and should be ashamed

damn, if that's a criminal charge, most of us would have got the electric chair for our Thursday nights back in University 

What irritates me about this is the holier than thou crap from people criticizing a young guy for messing up. Get over it. I did worse but didn’t have to go on tv and apologize to the world. And if the people judging him didn’t pull any meathead moves as a young adult, sorry for your boring life. 

The security chick said to the cops “So I didn’t recognize him at first”. Lol But when she did all she saw was dollar signs!!!

On 9/23/2019 at 6:13 PM, smitty55 said:

No state tax in Florida. Even though Points contract is 4M less than Marner he is only making 1M less cash in pocket the first year and at 9M in year three he will be making more.

Cheers

I researched this, totally flawed way to analyze it, everybody is paid in USD, the Leafs sweeten their contracts with signing bonuses so the players get more money up front and early so they can get the money invested and working for them

11 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Tonight Suzuki shot on Freddie after an obvious high stick then later threw his knee into AM's knee. 

Who on the Leafs is going to do anything about it? Nobody. The opposition can do whatever they want with no fear and no repercussion. 

You really think 20 year old 5’11 180lb Nick suzuki was going to fight someone on the leafs? 

What you are implying here is the same crap we had back in the day...so if it was the leafs, that collision happens, Babcock puts out wade belak to settle the score, and Montreal puts out Georges Laraque. Belak chirps Suzuki, then Georges steps in. They have a staged fight and apparently all is right in the world again.

then wade belak has CTE from fighting so much and ends up committing suicide. Now you maybe get why the NHL is lowering its tolerance for this kind of stuff. Imagine you had to fight an MMA fight every single day of the week as an enforcer. It’s not healthy. UFC fighters are suspended from competing  after every fight for a set period of time.

you might go and punch Suzuki square in the face and then end up suspended. Just like when kadri drove buddies head through the boards after he hit Marleau. That really helped the leafs out. Also the knee wasn’t intentional, the guy literally won the award for most sportsmanlike player in the entire OHL Last season. The game is too fast. Some collisions are unavoidable, it’s a different story when it’s a guy like ristolinan doing it that has a history of that kind of garbage.

the old NHL these pre season games would have had some young big tough guy his entire goal for the game would have been to go and try concuss Mitch marner and then win the subsequent fight to show that he was big and tough. It makes sense that people would rather watch marner play than some hack tough guy

Edited by AKRISONER

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

You really think 20 year old 5’11 180lb Nick suzuki was going to fight someone on the leafs? 

What you are implying here is the same crap we had back in the day...so if it was the leafs, that collision happens, Babcock puts out wade belak to settle the score, and Montreal puts out Georges Laraque. Belak chirps Suzuki, then Georges steps in. They have a staged fight and apparently all is right in the world again.

then wade belak has CTE from fighting so much and ends up committing suicide. Now you maybe get why the NHL is lowering its tolerance for this kind of stuff. Imagine you had to fight an MMA fight every single day of the week as an enforcer. It’s not healthy. UFC fighters are suspended from competing  after every fight for a set period of time.

you might go and punch Suzuki square in the face and then end up suspended. Just like when kadri drove buddies head through the boards after he hit Marleau. That really helped the leafs out. Also the knee wasn’t intentional, the guy literally won the award for most sportsmanlike player in the entire OHL Last season. The game is too fast. Some collisions are unavoidable, it’s a different story when it’s a guy like ristolinan doing it that has a history of that kind of garbage.

the old NHL these pre season games would have had some young big tough guy his entire goal for the game would have been to go and try concuss Mitch marner and then win the subsequent fight to show that he was big and tough. It makes sense that people would rather watch marner play than some hack tough guy

I think the answer is somewhere in between. I’m not so sure Chris is implying we have a goon out there dropping the gloves every time someone gets bumped either. In this game that just puts you down a man and probably a goal too. 

However, playing the heavy game is still absolutely relevant in this new NHL. It’s no coincidence that the Leafs don’t play well against teams that play rough...finish every check...look for opportunities to legally crush a guy, AND target anyone that goes after any of our key players. I believe that is what Chris wants to see and I agree 100%. Teams fear the Leaf’s speed and skill but know that if you start running them, they hot potato the puck cause nobody wants to get hit. 

We don’t need Belak type guys, we need guys the keep a mental score of who is taking liberties and go paint the boards with them. Funny, after a while, teams know which teams you can push around and which teams you can’t. Boston comes out in the 1st period and ignores the puck because they’re too busy hammering anything in blue and white. Sets the tone for the whole game and you can just see the Leafs trying to play while looking over their shoulders. 

Anyhoo, I think there’s been some good additions to the team so Go Leafs Go!!

14 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I researched this, totally flawed way to analyze it, everybody is paid in USD, the Leafs sweeten their contracts with signing bonuses so the players get more money up front and early so they can get the money invested and working for them

Chris it makes no difference. Income for the year is income, regardless if it's up front or spread out. The bottom line is that there is no income tax, so after tax take home pay is way higher. That's why guys will take less salary to play in states like Florida, Texas, Nevada and Washington. It's pretty basic math, if you can't figure it out I  would suggest talking to a player agent or accountant. As for signing bonuses some teams use them others don't. Ottawa just signed Chabot for 8 years with no performance or signing bonuses.

Cheers

1 hour ago, smitty55 said:

Chris it makes no difference. Income for the year is income, regardless if it's up front or spread out. The bottom line is that there is no income tax, so after tax take home pay is way higher. That's why guys will take less salary to play in states like Florida, Texas, Nevada and Washington. It's pretty basic math, if you can't figure it out I  would suggest talking to a player agent or accountant. As for signing bonuses some teams use them others don't. Ottawa just signed Chabot for 8 years with no performance or signing bonuses.

Cheers

You are leaving out the fact that rich teams like Toronto front load deals using bonuses so that the player retains their entire salary at the point of signing. 

Aka nearly the entirety of the cash is already in Auston Matthews pocket. Meaning he is free to invest it and turn it for more money than chabot who has to wait for his pay day every year

the interest alone on $50,000,000 is insane

6 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

You are leaving out the fact that rich teams like Toronto front load deals using bonuses so that the player retains their entire salary at the point of signing. 

Aka nearly the entirety of the cash is already in Auston Matthews pocket. Meaning he is free to invest it and turn it for more money than chabot who has to wait for his pay day every year

the interest alone on $50,000,000 is insane

exactly,

I said that earlier. 

Marner and even Nylander make more net money than Brayden Point. 

Smitty watch this video at 16:20 

Edited by chris.brock

13 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

not even close to what I am implying, you don't get it at all

Grim wrote it better than I can, but I'll say

When you're making decisions about what players you want on your team, physicality, size, toughness, pestiness, cheap shot ness, intimidation, and yes for sure fighting are important factors. It's a full contact sport where fighting is allowed. Nobody wants a beating, especially on national TV.

When games get chippy, and in the playoffs, against tougher teams, skilled guys like Nylander, AM, Marner, Kappi etc disappear, they can't function, the the Leafs have no push back and can't play and win at that game. The Leafs don't need a Belak, they need guys that can play a regular shift, are an asset not a liability but have an edge, throw their weight around, get in the other teams face and guys that will try to break their face when necessary.

If I'm playing the Leafs in the playoffs and I'm the coach for the other team (every other team is tougher than the Leafs), my directive is hit everything that moves, get in their face, lip em off etc.

Balanced teams with skill and toughness win cups.

I know exactly what you are saying, however I think the point is that, the guys are young and inexperienced, it’s not that they are too wimpy, they just need to get a bit more grizzled. Give it time, trust me I remember being 20 years old and playing against a bunch of guys in their 30’s in men’s league, I’m not a big guy so it made it even worse but I remember thinking holy heck getting your ass kicked by a bunch of big men with full beards that had 30llbs more muscle than me sucked.

if you recall, Toronto played the big bad bruins last year and had them absolutely on the ropes and a their inexperience in closing a team out let them down. They didn’t have the total killer instinct, I think they came in and knew they could do it, they then had Boston on life support but let off of the gas. This was the big bad Boston bruins. 7 foot Chara was basically given a green light by the nhl to hack and slash and hook everyone in sight because he couldn’t keep up with them.

saying AM and Marner disappear in the playoffs is a longgggg stretch

marners got 13 points in 14 career playoff games, hard to be invisible hanging out on the score sheet every game.

matthews had 6 points in 7 games including 4 of those being goals in that Boston series.

their defense let them down last year, don’t get it twisted. You weren’t going to win much with nikita zaitsev and Ron hainsey playing in your top 4. Good thing they are playing on a team that’s more in line with their abilities now...the senaturds 

they will put it together. The guys are maturing and look more and more confident with every passing month.

ifs and buts are chocolates and nuts

Boston then made it to GAME 7 IN THE FINAL for Christ sakes

you're not a big guy, Marzana is, he's probably 6'5", yeah you're a little quicker, a little more skilled too, both you guys can play a regular shift, 200' game,

I pick Marzana for my team because this isn't soccer

9 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Income for the year is income, regardless if it's up front or spread out.

That is incorrect.  If a player receives it up front, it can be invested and earn additional income over the year. 

And it's not just within the year.  A player can receive money in year one instead of spread out over seven years.  That could result in several million dollars in investment earnings over the life of the contract.

I do get what you guys are saying, but you are also assuming the money is going to get properly invested and make a pile of coin, but that doesn't always happen with investments. Plus its not like it's a whole year ahead, to my knowledge the NHL players contract still consists of 26 weekly payments starting October. Most signing bonuses are July 1, so there's 3 months of investment income Marner will love.
Regardless, what I was pointing out is that players in states with no income tax take home a much larger percentage of their NHL paycheck. It's straight math, and it has a bearing on why NHL players are willing to sign smaller overall cap contracts which of course is essentially an advantage for those teams. It's not a Leafs thing.

I said nothing about contract structure like signing bonuses or investing, you guys brought that up. Point has 8M in bonuses in his 3 year deal, nothing like Marner has though, 30M in the first two years is just crazy.  Can you imagine the tax on that pay stub in Ontario!

Anyways Chris, I watched 10 minutes of that and most of the next one too.  He can say all he wants, there is a good reason those players are willing to sign in Florida.  As for the Leafs in their present structure, I don't care what franchise it is, any team that consumes 44% of it's cap space in three players and with one  pretty good goalie and one real good D a good push in to the conference finals is going to depend on those players staying healthy all year, better hope so. Btw weren't the Leafs the least penalized team last year? I think you're right,  for sure they need more skilled grit mixed in to the mix.

Cheers

You know what the good news is about having guys that can score an absolute tonne like AM JT MItchy Willy Reilly and barrie is? It’s wayyyy harder to find guys that can score than it is to find big guys that can hit and play physical. One takes far more talent and ability than the other.

luckily you’ve got these guys all signed up for an extended period of time, allowing you to experiment with the line up and take repeated runs and make adjustments.

trust me, there’s a lot of teams (Montreal?) that don’t even have one person as talented at scoring while Toronto has like 5

Edited by AKRISONER