2019-2020 Hockey Thread

9 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Don't forget about Muzzin and Barrie.

Muzzin had a great hit last night.  :)

muzzle loader was added last season, I am questioning if Barrie is a $6 M dollar man or not worth it, why would they let him go and retain 1/2 of his salary

Edited by chris.brock

I've said it before, gonna say it again, 

hockey is unique, a professional sport where fighting is acceptable, a player's actions could result in a beating, understandably a lot of players don't want a beating

the current Leafs management doesn't seem to understand the importance of the threat of a beating, a beating broadcast live on nation wide TV

11 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I've said it before, gonna say it again, 

hockey is unique, a professional sport where fighting is acceptable, a player's actions could result in a beating, understandably a lot of players don't want a beating

the current Leafs management doesn't seem to understand the importance of the threat of a beating, a beating broadcast live on nation wide TV

The reality is chris...this doesn’t happen in the NHL anymore. ??‍♂️

Trust me, I agree, I was disappointed at the lack of response after that barrie hit on Saturday, at a bare minimum one of the young AHL guys you’d think would have stepped up to say “you aren’t doing that to Tyson barrie in a pre-season game” but nothing happened.

so yes I agree, someone needs to punch the guy in the face when he throws a cheap shot, you don’t need to be a giant goon tough guy to punch a guy in the mouth if you are 6’0 something 200+ pounds even if you aren’t a scrapper you are a big athlete, at minimum you can give ristolinen a shot in the mouth but at the same time, you do realize that back in the day the enforcers fought the enforcers, it wasn’t like you saw Scott Stevens fighting Marty Mcsorely or Bob Probert all of the time. 

I would disagree with you if you think guys like kapanen, muzzin, zach hyman, Freddy the goat heck even spezza aren’t capable of holding their on out on the ice. They are all over 6’2 210. You don’t need to be a designated fighter that can’t skate or score to throw a few punches and hold your own. There is no fighting in the playoffs anyways when the season is actually on the line.

• Like 1

I say offer Tie a 1 year contract for 5 mil.  Im sure he can still lace them up and lay out a few of these wanna bes .Just to show how the little guy ,can get it done. Maybe those so called, big guys you speak of AKR,  will step up.  The leafs can not afford to get players run over without a beat down in return. Still lots of teams that have a fighter or two for this reason.

I apologize, I was a little over the top (drunk) last night

It's not just the fighting, it's the nastiness, hitting, cheap shots, intimidation, mouthing off, general crap disturbing and standing up for each other as a team that is important making a team tough to play against and come playoff time.

Rinaldo signed his new contract and said "I don't care what a team mate does, I've got their back". That's huge. Small players play bigger. I love that.

Looks like Harpur won't be with the big club. Typical Leafs decision. 

Anybody notice Brayden Point's new contract in comparison to Marner and Nylander's contract?

5 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

Anybody notice Brayden Point's new contract in comparison to Marner and Nylander's contract?

No state tax in Florida. Even though Points contract is 4M less than Marner he is only making 1M less cash in pocket the first year and at 9M in year three he will be making more.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

No state tax in Florida. Even though Points contract is 4M less than Marner he is only making 1M less cash in pocket the first year and at 9M in year three he will be making more.

Cheers

good point

the league has gotta fix that crap and make it fair for all teams, taxes, currency etc, bettman's such a little darn weasel who doesn't care about Canadian teams

good riddance Sparks, Hutch stopped all 38 shots tonight

I agree physicality is an important aspect of the game. But I don’t think it’s shown through fighting In today’s NHL. In fact in the 90’s guys still didn’t fight in the playoffs. What they did do is handle themselves in the scrums and...try to concuss eachother with big hits. We saw exactly what happened to Kadri when he tried to play that angle.

let the kids get seasoned a bit more. I think you will be surprised with how much tougher they’d get if they actually got deep into the playoffs. I think a lot of it has to do with age...it’s hard to be 20 years old and want to fight a bunch of grizzled 28+ year olds. It’s not like all of the leafs are small, in fact Babcock keeps talking every night about guys in camp getting thicker and using their body more. 

Look at how their D is being built, you’ve got a big stay at home d man paired with an agile puck moving d man. The leafs system needs guys that can move the puck to their forwards effectively. Their power is with their forwards, but if you can’t allow marner, tavares, Nylander and Matthews to attack up the ice with speed, the team won’t win a game.

Also LOL At the canadians losing to the marlies

Mannnn i cant wait for hockey to start!

Edited by AKRISONER

3 hours ago, jimmer said:

The media and Leaf haters are going to love this.

Real classy guy that Mathews kid. His recent comment on the matter was sad, "or whatever". Even leafs fans have to admit there's no way he can now be named captain, even more so with Dubas as GM. He better hope this doesn't end up in a criminal conviction.

2 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

Real classy guy that Mathews kid. His recent comment on the matter was sad, "or whatever". Even leafs fans have to admit there's no way he can now be named captain, even more so with Dubas as GM. He better hope this doesn't end up in a criminal conviction.

You're looking at this way too closely.   This is getting blown so far out of proportion it's laughable.   Not named captain because of this? Criminal conviction  Really?  LOL!!!  

5 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Asston trashedthews

i don’t wanna live in 2019 anymore

listening to twitter and sports radio today you’d think he had a raging hard on, was banging on her car to try get in and rape her. Good grief 

Hmm, let's see here. 2:00 AM in the morning and a bunch of drunk guys start trying to get in her locked car. Plus she's ex military and suffers from ptsd. Then when she confronts them he drops his pants and moons her. But it looks like you seem to think that's OK, pretty sad.

5 minutes ago, BillM said:

You're looking at this way too closely.   This is getting blown so far out of proportion it's laughable.   Not named captain because of this? Criminal conviction  Really?  LOL!!!  

You do realize it is a criminal charge. Sure he's more than likely to cut some sort of deal but it's not for sure, in the States they take some things far more seriously than up here.