2019-2020 Hockey Thread

1 hour ago, jimmer said:

I wasn't really quoting anyone in particular. All us Leafs fans get a little over hyped at times. I'm with you on the first round win against the Bruins though!!!!!

I think Leafs fans are probably some of the most hockey educated hockey fans around ... yeah this first round is going to really highlight any problem areas ... resting Andersen and having a healthy Defence will be critical

Last year top 5 reasons we lost to the Caps... taken from

https://www.nhl.com/news/5-reasons-why-toronto-maple-leafs-eliminated-from-playoffs/c-289060824?tid=287344004

1. FREDERIK ANDERSEN OUTDUELED BY BRADEN HOLTBY

2. POWER PLAY STRUGGLES (shouldnt be an issue this year)

3. PLAYOFF INEXPERIENCE (shouldnt be an issue this year)

4. DEFENSIVE DEPTH (????)

5. TOO MANY WEAPONS 

23 hours ago, muskymatt said:

I was watching and thinking, if any of you laffites were watching it must have brought back terrible memories of laffs collapses at the hands of the Bruins. 

It was a perfect example of the Bruins late surge and the total collapse of the other team.....

?

Matt, you need a hobby...stamp collecting or toy trains? It’s gonna be a LOOONG while till your team sees any playoff hockey!? 

I would just stop watching any hockey all together, check the newspapers every three years or so to see if the Sens have turned it around,...you’re getting dark and I remember you before this negative obsession got the better of you. 

13 hours ago, scuro2 said:

It’s gonna be a LOOONG while till your team sees any playoff hockey!? 

not necessarily, because he has been known to change his team

the only thing for sure is the dark, miserable, seething, self consuming hatred

19 hours ago, chris.brock said:

not necessarily, because he has been known to change his team

the only thing for sure is the dark, miserable, seething, self consuming hatred

Ok wait a minute. 

The only word needed is dislike, ok maybe with a touch of loathing......

What else is there to do when my team is a absolute disappointment? 

Yes I'm asking you guys because you have 52 years experience with it! ? at least we didn't get blown out by the Bruins....which means nothing.

My prediction is Boston Winnipeg finals with Boston winning in 7.

Sens will be last again next year.

I have to say the high scoring games are entertaining,  nice to see some exceptional talent in the league.

2 hours ago, muskymatt said:

Ok wait a minute. 

The only word needed is dislike, ok maybe with a touch of loathing......

What else is there to do when my team is a absolute disappointment? 

Yes I'm asking you guys because you have 52 years experience with it! ? at least we didn't get blown out by the Bruins....which means nothing.

My prediction is Boston Winnipeg finals with Boston winning in 7.

Sens will be last again next year.

I have to say the high scoring games are entertaining,  nice to see some exceptional talent in the league.

So how long before you jump ship on the Sens? 

the mighty Bruins streak ends at 19, that's crazy and impressive but I think they were overachieving a bit with late game heroics

I went through the B's and the Leafs rosters, if our guys are healthy, on their game, firing on all cylinders, we look pretty good, on paper at least, I think we have a decent chance

Boston is not even close to deep enough to win another cup, let alone make the finals. Their top line is one of the best in the NHL and from there out you really fall off of a cliff.

Chara is a great D man, but he isnt the "old chara" hes now the "old" chara. 

Their goaltending is solid, but they dont have all of the collective pieces and depth needed.

Aside from the obvious choice Tampa...you know who scares the hell out of me? Pittsburgh. I have no clue why people are discounting them, they are on a tear lately...guess who ended bostons streak? Oh also...guess who won 2 out of the last 3 stanley cups...yup.

Chris, I agree, Bostons streak was very very impressive, but they definitely were relying on a lot of very late game heroics and 1 goal wins. That kind of stuff isnt sustainable. What I am wondering (I dont know the specifics of the stats) but my guess is that their shooting percentages were definitely over achieving, along with their scoring chance ratios. Which is totally normal. What we used to call "getting hot" has a heck of a lot to do with luck as crazy as it is. Much like how the leafs at the beginning of the year were shooting at percentages are were way way way too high. I believe Matthews was shooting something like 40% over the course of the first 20 games of the season. Remember when he was on pace for like 130 goals?

What you hope for is that some regression occurs now as we head into the playoffs. Boston goes back to playing more like they did for the other 50 games of the season. 

Might I also mention, the leafs have won as many games as boston this year, in less games, but sit 4 points behind them in the standings...cause that makes a lot of sense. Enough of the inferiority complex. 

One thing that bothers me a lot is the Leaf's fanbase complete disregard for just how friggin good John Tavares is. Its like people are thinking "hes getting paid 11 million so he better score 40 goals and have 100 points" The guy is setting the exact example of what being one of the best centres/players in the entire NHL looks like. Of course everyone wants to talk about kucherov and Marner because they score a lot too, but how about the fact that Babcock has relied on Tavares to match up every single night against every team's top lines? Last year we didnt have an answer for the bergeron line...i think the leafs just may have the answer this year to at least even out the stakes. From there the line up matchups swing very heavily in Toronto's favour. Hopefully Kapanen and Johnson can get some of their swagger back. Ive already ranted about how deadly the kadri nylander line is going to look matching up against any NHL teams third line.

Edited by AKRISONER

I think JT is definitely money well spent. He's a different type of player than most of the other speedy forwards but the guy consistently puts pucks in the net. Leafs are back in Long Island April 1st too, I'd love to see him pot a couple.

A problem I see is we've got a busy schedule to end the season. Freddie will need some rest and I don't have much confidence in Sparks.

13 hours ago, chris.brock said:

the mighty Bruins streak ends at 19, that's crazy and impressive but I think they were overachieving a bit with late game heroics

I went through the B's and the Leafs rosters, if our guys are healthy, on their game, firing on all cylinders, we look pretty good, on paper at least, I think we have a decent chance

I think the Leafs starting on the road against Boston is sadly pretty inevitable, that being said (With this story I'm starting to sound like James Spader's character off the blacklist) When I was in high school I used to be on the wrestling team. In my 3rd year/season it seemed like every tournament I was facing and losing to this one kid. Big, strong as a bull, not too smart and not a very good wrestler but could get away with it because of his strength. After losing to him about half a dozen times I actually got out of that weight category so I wouldn't have to face him anymore. As my career went on I won and lost some matches but looking back I don't believe that I improved as much as I would have if I had stayed in that weight category and learned how to beat the other kid. I feel this way about the Leafs and the Bruins. Will the Leafs beat them this year? Maybe, maybe not. Do the leafs need to beat the Bruins if they ever want to win a cup? From a literal standpoint probably not, from a psychological standpoint I'd say probably. 

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Boston is not even close to deep enough to win another cup, let alone make the finals. Their top line is one of the best in the NHL and from there out you really fall off of a cliff.

Chara is a great D man, but he isnt the "old chara" hes now the "old" chara. 

Their goaltending is solid, but they dont have all of the collective pieces and depth needed.

Aside from the obvious choice Tampa...you know who scares the hell out of me? Pittsburgh. I have no clue why people are discounting them, they are on a tear lately...guess who ended bostons streak? Oh also...guess who won 2 out of the last 3 stanley cups...yup.

Chris, I agree, Bostons streak was very very impressive, but they definitely were relying on a lot of very late game heroics and 1 goal wins. That kind of stuff isnt sustainable. What I am wondering (I dont know the specifics of the stats) but my guess is that their shooting percentages were definitely over achieving, along with their scoring chance ratios. Which is totally normal. What we used to call "getting hot" has a heck of a lot to do with luck as crazy as it is. Much like how the leafs at the beginning of the year were shooting at percentages are were way way way too high. I believe Matthews was shooting something like 40% over the course of the first 20 games of the season. Remember when he was on pace for like 130 goals?

What you hope for is that some regression occurs now as we head into the playoffs. Boston goes back to playing more like they did for the other 50 games of the season. 

Might I also mention, the leafs have won as many games as boston this year, in less games, but sit 4 points behind them in the standings...cause that makes a lot of sense. Enough of the inferiority complex. 

One thing that bothers me a lot is the Leaf's fanbase complete disregard for just how friggin good John Tavares is. Its like people are thinking "hes getting paid 11 million so he better score 40 goals and have 100 points" The guy is setting the exact example of what being one of the best centres/players in the entire NHL looks like. Of course everyone wants to talk about kucherov and Marner because they score a lot too, but how about the fact that Babcock has relied on Tavares to match up every single night against every team's top lines? Last year we didnt have an answer for the bergeron line...i think the leafs just may have the answer this year to at least even out the stakes. From there the line up matchups swing very heavily in Toronto's favour. Hopefully Kapanen and Johnson can get some of their swagger back. Ive already ranted about how deadly the kadri nylander line is going to look matching up against any NHL teams third line.

Are people really disregarding him? I haven't heard that much and he looks pretty good to me. Not sure how to say this, but some nights you don't hear his name much, but the score sheet tells a different story. He was like that on the Island from what I remember. Very talented though and good along the boards.

37 minutes ago, muskymatt said:

Great game last night eh laffites?

What in the world was Morgan Reiley thinking?

Suspension for sure.

Leafs put in their backup goalie against the best team in the league, arguably the best team in the past 20 years and you use this as your litmus test? Brilliant!

You are right (never thought I'd say that) about Riley though. Especially as someone that wears the A and is in talks to wear the C, it won't happen now because of this. When you are one of the faces of the franchise you can't let your emotions get the better of you. 

2 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

Leafs put in their backup goalie against the best team in the league, arguably the best team in the past 20 years and you use this as your litmus test? Brilliant!

You are right (never thought I'd say that) about Riley though. Especially as someone that wears the A and is in talks to wear the C, it won't happen now because of this. When you are one of the faces of the franchise you can't let your emotions get the better of you. 

Umm, they started Anderson and pulled him after the first 4 goals.....either way, you can't blame that loss on goaltending.  

Edited by G.mech

they really can't offer excuses ... (coming off road swing, Hyman sick, bad bounces etc.... ) it really makes no difference

what they need to show Leaf fans is if they have the ability to bounce back with a vengeance..

They need to finish these last 13 games with a statement that they are ready for the playoffs ...

there was 3 crazy deflections where the puck had eyes, Bolts were the better team but had some luck on their side too for their quick start

Point's shooting percentage is 23% for the season, so he scores basically on every 4 shots he takes, not sustainable, Bolts are good but I don't think they are the 76 Habs or 80's Oilers

36 minutes ago, G.mech said:

Umm, they started Anderson and pulled him after the first 4 goals.....either way, you can't blame that loss on goaltending.  

Whoops! You're right. 

(Can I blame it on daylight savings time? not the loss, the fact that I had no idea who they had in net)

Edited by jerpears1

2 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

Your point comes across much stronger if you spell check and proofread your work before you present such compelling arguements in front of the class. 

Nah I spelt the word  Laffs correctly. Oh and arguements is spelt arguments.