2019-2020 Hockey Thread

I think they need to switch marner to the left wing on the pp and mathews to the right for the one timer. 

I am not really a gardiner fan as he has too many giveaways but he is usually paired against the other teams top line , if he could learn how to move the puck better . i would keep him.

Kapanen is probably the fastest guy in the league and would be a great player to watch live, watching him 3 on 3 in overtime must be exciting,would hate to see the leafs trade him, 

When I seen that Hutch was getting the start last night,I had to watch. First thing I noticed right away was his stance when he set up. Just the way most of the Barrie boys were trained. My son included. Old style. Quick to do the butter fly and have blocker and trapper at the ready. This style fits most tall goalies as they can cover the top of the net. Smaller goalies like my son was, had to work on quick glove and blocker saves for those high shots.  Hutch was always in the right spot at the right time. On key. He was always watching the puck. Even got that weird bounce over the net and snagged it real quick.

Ya Vancouver is not a great team and the leafs dominated,but it sure was GREAT, to see Hutch get that shut out. If he get the next start, he will be tested more then last night.

i think sparks should be worried. Hutch is saying and doing all of the right things. In his post game interview he genuinely spoke about how special it is to play for toronto and that he is doing his best to take the opportunity and run with it. Hes not the heir to the throne so to speak. I sometimes feel like Sparks believes that he deserves the back up spot because of the season he had last year with the marlies.

Babock loves a guy that understands that getting to play in the NHL for the leafs is a special thing.

Remember though, Hutch is new, like any goalie it takes the NHL a little bit to figure out your cracks and then totally expose them. NHL players are so good they almost always inevitably start making good goalies look average after time. Thats the world we live in with film and analytics. Teams know where to shoot from and where to shoot. Jesus even Carey Price looks extremely mediocre now. Thats how good these guys are.

Good for Hutch though, he definitely has a calmin presence around him as well, which i think sparks lacks with his more wildstyle aggressive goaltending.

Edited by AKRISONER

22 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Remember though, Hutch is new, like any goalie it takes the NHL a little bit to figure out your cracks and then totally expose them.

He played 90 NHL games before the leafs got him....

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

pure speculation, but I wonder if Sparks is actually concussed or was it just a polite way of giving Hutch a chance?  ?

i thought about this too...the whole (he got concussed by taking a shot off of the mask during practice)????

I saw Talbot take a slapshot straight between the eyes on saturday and no one cared...

Mis, i like insider info...and im a fan of Hutch, his postgame interview showed a lot about his character...he almost was in tears he was so overwhelmed with emotion.

As i thought, Nylander looks like garbage out there. The kid doesnt care and unfortunately thats something you cant teach. You either have determination or you dont...and hes as flat as a pancake. I figured when he was holding out that the guy wasnt the type of player that you "win with" and sure enough, its ringing entirely true.

That Subban goal was pathetic, ive seen guys in my M division mens league team get out to the point faster that that off of a defensive zone faceoff. At least this time he didnt flamingo. BRUTAL

If things aren't going his way, the least he could do is work hard, and yeah, he's not working hard

When the time comes, I think we will have to basically give Nylander away, big contract and poor production, nobody will want him

Edited by chris.brock

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

As i thought, Nylander looks like garbage out there. The kid doesnt care and unfortunately thats something you cant teach. You either have determination or you dont...and hes as flat as a pancake. I figured when he was holding out that the guy wasnt the type of player that you "win with" and sure enough, its ringing entirely true.

That Subban goal was pathetic, ive seen guys in my M division mens league team get out to the point faster that that off of a defensive zone faceoff. At least this time he didnt flamingo. BRUTAL

He got his money. What does he care for the next 6 seasons? 

I don’t think we will have to give him away for nothing but I don’t think we’ll get value on the dollar for him. 

Would rather keep Kapanen and Johnsson but we rolled the dice on that one. 

22 minutes ago, Jds63 said:

Went to the game last night and boy was it quiet in there ... the effort i saw was pathetic

1 tall can of beer = $16.75 ...  popcorn = $8.00 ... 

luckily my tickets were free ...

In Tampa it cost me $18 for double rum and cokes. :)

Yeah, that's like a beer league missed play there.   Winger out to the D in a defensive zone draw loss.  This is basic basic hockey, lol.   Hell, I'd lose my **** if the winger in my beer league failed to do that lol

2 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

When I watch the game at home a tall can of beer is 2 bucks and a bag of popcorn is about 60 cents.

Part of the reason I haven't seen a game live in about 5 years. 

Oh I agree .... Tickets were free ... took my son ...

Those beer and food prices is whats helping pay all the multi million dollar salaries  .... 

Fans in our row were ordering 2-3 beers at 16 bucks each , money would be handed down the row and beer would be handed back ... LOL

seems most fans don't care .... part of the price to pay for the whole show experience ... would have felt better if the LEAFS showed up and made it a real game ...

At home on my recliner is way more comfortable and I get all the replays , at the arena you are perched on the edge of your seat to try to see the rink over the guy in front of you... your view gets blocked every time someone tries to leave for a beer or washroom

all the suits down at ice level don't make any noise, no one is yelling at the players ... you go to a game in the USA and the players really get an earfull

When does Babcock stop using the carrot on Nylander and bust out the stick!!!  He's earned a healthy scratch or a fourth line assignment (that would diminish the fourth line mind you).  Enough ALREADY!  I can't watch this freakin floater anymore.

Hutchinson moves and plays like a goalie that has some coaching. He's in position to make a follow-up save.  Sparks looks like Mike Palmateer out there....... no fundamentals.... all instinct saves.  Hutchinson calms the team while Sparks makes them dig into their defensive edges.  Sparks plays like he's entitled.  Trade him.

Edited by Oggie
sp
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 11:05 AM, Oggie said:

Hutchinson moves and plays like a goalie that has some coaching. He's in position to make a follow-up save. 

Thats all they kept saying during the game last night. On the radio that is. He is going to make it hard for Bab,s to sit him or send to the Marlies.