2019-2020 Hockey Thread

34 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

I know what he mean't...you'd think Suck fans would have a better sense of humour by now!! You Suckators have no chickens or eggs to hatch...they don't want to play there. Your ex captain couldn't evacuate the dumpster quick enough!! I wonder how long before Chabot realizes he's flushing his career down the Ottawa toilet and tries to get out. I'm sure the geniuses running that train wreck will get a few shiny pucks back in the deal!!! You must be soooo proud LMAO!! 

Toronto has been the graveyard of careers for decades lol.

Only when they leave does their career get resurrected. 

And what would you call what the laffs did to Sittler and Sundin, among many others?  

What a joke.

25 minutes ago, muskymatt said:

Toronto has been the graveyard of careers for decades lol.

Only when they leave does their career get resurrected. 

And what would you call what the laffs did to Sittler and Sundin, among many others?  

What a joke.

Then I guess the Sucks took good lessons because they won't even stick around and TRY to win. That team is too far gone already. Who wants Bobby Ryan?? Bueller?...Bueller? lol NOBODY!  Brutal...even the off ice antics are an embarrassment to the league. I can just imagine the chirping they have to endure on the ice!!! LOL The problem here is, you look forwards and see a $hitshow for a team... and I couldn't care less what happened now in 19whogivesacrap.  You're now that old dude at the bar telling everyone how great he was in high school!! Bahahahahaha We were only one goal.....blah blah, no trophy? No bragging!!! :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Go Leafs Go!!!!! and thank god you're not a Suckator!!!

WOW!!!
As a casual observer & an occasional contributor, I gotta say that some of these exchanges are beyond fun banter?
It's easy to be a bully behind a keyboard. "Little Man Syndrome" comes to mind?

And I ain't talking about Matt.........

Maybe this thread should be renamed to "TML Lovers Only, If You're A Sens Fan We'll Happily Gang Up On You" ????

Edited by Pikeslayer

47 minutes ago, Pikeslayer said:

WOW!!!
As a casual observer & an occasional contributor, I gotta say that some of these exchanges are beyond fun banter?

Maybe this thread should be renamed to "TML Lovers Only, If You're A Sens Fan We'll Happily Gang Up On You" ????

I love ya Simon but did you follow the thread before the leafs got Matthews? From when I joined the forum to 2015 Sens and MTL fans were constantly piling on Leafs fans. They had good reason. We were terrible. The truth is we had to deal with it. We made some terrible moves. The worst of which was the picks for Keasel. 

I feel like now we just have something to be proud of and now that the shoe is on the other foot we finally get to have a bit of sweet revenge. 

As per Matt’s post, I can’t comment on Sittler (was before my time) and unless someone can post something proving otherwise I still have never forgiven Sundin and don’t know that I will. 

Managment wanted him to waive his no trade. He says ‘no. I want to be here as a leaf’ ok fine. Next season he signs with Vancouver. 

Edited by jerpears1

Back at ya J.

Yeah, I've followed this thread from day 1 as a part time Leafs fan. Nothing wrong with 'sweet revenge' if gained through dignity and respect? There's a BIG DIFFERENCE between fun banter and bitter vitriol ? I'm not going to quote them or anyone in particular. Let's just say it seems some are making this 'personal'.

Keep it clean and respectful Young Grasshopper and you'll stay welcome aboard my boat ;)

Edited by Pikeslayer

32 minutes ago, Pikeslayer said:

Back at ya J.

Yeah, I've followed this thread from day 1 as a part time Leafs fan. Nothing wrong with 'sweet revenge' if gained through dignity and respect? There's a BIG DIFFERENCE between fun banter and bitter vitriol ? I'm not going to quote them or anyone in particular. Let's just say it seems some are making this 'personal'.

Keep it clean and respectful Young Grasshopper and you'll stay welcome aboard my boat ;)

Deal. I agree too. It’s just sports. No sense in making it person. It should bring us together, not tear us apart. 

Now when are you going to come visit Head Lake so I can give you the ‘grand tour’? 

4 hours ago, leaf4 said:

"No goaltending" ??? our backup was the ahl's top goalie of the year and Freddy is a bonafide top 5 imo 

I'm  worried Sparks gets nervous when he's in an NHL game. He's looked terrible. Cam Ward looked equally as terrible though, lol. Loosing Mac might have been a mistake.

It's only 3 games in but my thoughts are-

-the Leafs have to play fast and breakout and rush like they did against Chicago

-the defense sucks, we're gonna have to score our way to wins and Freddie will have to stop 35 a night

-the Leafs are on the cusp of something special and management has to put the final touches on it, the offence is reminiscent of the Oilers in the Gretzky era, now management has to coach the kids and acquire some other additions to put it all together, it's the managements game to loose, it's rare in a salary cap league that so much offensive talent is on one team

-I hope Dubas has free reign and Shanny and Babs and whoever else aren't  dictating 

4 hours ago, muskymatt said:

What a joke.

I have no clue, what do you think they did to Sittler and Sundin and many others?

made them legends, rich, famous, sounds good to me

49 minutes ago, Pikeslayer said:

I'm not going to quote them or anyone in particular. Let's just say it seems some are making this 'personal'.

why not quote them, it's just a sports discussion, also otherwise nobody has any clue what you're talking about

2 hours ago, Pikeslayer said:

WOW!!!

If you're talking about me, say so. That way I can correct you instead of you dropping innuendos. 

Not that I owe you an explanation, this is all in good fun. Matt had every right to bury the Leaf fans, for years I might add, and he had a friggin ball doing it! He earned this and you know what? I'll bet he'd admit it! I'd buy him a beer any day, no issues. There's no real issue here. So you couldn't be more wrong on your assessment. 

Matt, not going easy on you until you admit you wish you were a Leaf fan!! LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

I still have never forgiven Sundin and don’t know that I will.

Managment wanted him to waive his no trade. He says ‘no. I want to be here as a leaf’ ok fine. Next season he signs with Vancouver. 

That's 100% on the Leafs; he wanted to finish his career with Leafs. The Leafs chose not to resign him.  He eventually ended up signing with Vancouver (he actually missed a good chunk of the season because if signed later in the year)

It doesn't make sense to blame Sundin for the Leaf's decision to not bother re-signing someone who wants to play for them.

Edited by John Bacon

we don't know what went on behind closed doors, but I don't like Sundin for not waiving his no trade clause, the Leafs eventually getting nothing for an asset and Sundin sucked in the post season

Edited by chris.brock
  • Like 1

If Sundin had wanted to leave Toronto, he would have signed in the offseason, not half way thorugh the season in mid-December.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but it seems a bit funny to blame someone for refusing to waive a no-trade clause.  What's the point in having a no-trade clause if the player shouldn't be able to use it?  I would have liked to see the Leafs get something for him; but I just don't see why a player would be obligated to not use a clause in his contract.

11 hours ago, John Bacon said:

If Sundin had wanted to leave Toronto, he would have signed in the offseason, not half way thorugh the season in mid-December.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but it seems a bit funny to blame someone for refusing to waive a no-trade clause.  What's the point in having a no-trade clause if the player shouldn't be able to use it?  I would have liked to see the Leafs get something for him; but I just don't see why a player would be obligated to not use a clause in his contract.

That's all just hypothetical though. If we are going off of theories I could say that he had contemplated retirement, was waiting to see how his body felt and then his good buddies the Sedins convinced him to join Vancouver for his last chance to win a cup. As I said, I've never heard him or the team release a statement about what happened in the offseason so anything past that is pure speculation. 

Edited by jerpears1

15 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

Now when are you going to come visit Home Lake so I can give you the ‘grand tour’? 

? J.

We're still searching for the perfect property and Home Lake is still on the radar. Will likely ramp up the property hunt again in the spring. I'll let you know if we'll be in the neighborhood.

38 minutes ago, Pikeslayer said:

? J.

We're still searching for the perfect property and Home Lake is still on the radar. Will likely ramp up the property hunt again in the spring. I'll let you know if we'll be in the neighborhood.

Send me a private message if you do bud. We'd love to have you over for a BBQ and hangout. Nothing like seeing the lake from the water on the pontoon boat to get a feel for it. 

17 hours ago, chris.brock said:

I'm  worried Sparks gets nervous when he's in an NHL game. He's looked terrible. Cam Ward looked equally as terrible though, lol. Loosing Mac might have been a mistake.

It's only 3 games in but my thoughts are-

-the Leafs have to play fast and breakout and rush like they did against Chicago

-the defense sucks, we're gonna have to score our way to wins and Freddie will have to stop 35 a night

-the Leafs are on the cusp of something special and management has to put the final touches on it, the offence is reminiscent of the Oilers in the Gretzky era, now management has to coach the kids and acquire some other additions to put it all together, it's the managements game to loose, it's rare in a salary cap league that so much offensive talent is on one team

-I hope Dubas has free reign and Shanny and Babs and whoever else aren't  dictating 

To your point Chris ...  on the Leafs salary cap hit , don't know how they will manage to keep all the talent  ... 11 mil for Tavares with Mathews  and Marner coming up next year , and they are still trying to ink a deal for Nylander .. 

1 hour ago, Jds63 said:

To your point Chris ...  on the Leafs salary cap hit , don't know how they will manage to keep all the talent  ... 11 mil for Tavares with Mathews  and Marner coming up next year , and they are still trying to ink a deal for Nylander .. 

Dubas seems to think he can do it...in fact he made the commitment to JT. Let's see...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/dubas-keeping-nylander-marner-matthews-can-will/

Erik Karlsson must be enjoying the anonymity in San Jose these days. Three games, 1 point(assist), no penalties and a -4... all without a whisper. In fact I had to search through their online article to find him!!! LOL Between the weather and the lack of pressure, he must be loving it. 

1 hour ago, Jds63 said:

That's what I've been saying all along. Small window to win because the star forwards will be starting to ask for big bucks real soon, like next year. Add into that if the dont get 2 solid 1-2 defence and a goalie team that doesn't allow 13 goals in 3 games, they wont be able to afford them all.

1 minute ago, muskymatt said:

That's what I've been saying all along. Small window to win because the star forwards will be starting to ask for big bucks real soon, like next year. Add into that if the dont get 2 solid 1-2 defence and a goalie team that doesn't allow 13 goals in 3 games, they wont be able to afford them all.

You're right...they should just unload all their best players for a song and skate a bunch of has beens....otherwise known as the Ottawa strategy.:wallbash:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

You're right...they should just unload all their best players for a song and skate a bunch of has beens....otherwise known as the Ottawa strategy.:wallbash:

Actually what i was trying to say was that they have a few tough choices to make in a short period or they will miss out. They will be forced to start moving people.

Just now, jerpears1 said:

Right now Freddy is just being ‘October Anderssen’  I’m not too concerned about him. 

I fear the leafs may have made a big mistake with Macheleny vs Sparks. And I was a big sparks fan. 

Everything the Leafs do gets second guessed. Heck the ice the forward skaters they have right now and guys are already what if'g it to death. Do you all really think that exec team painted themselves into a corner and really has a one year window to win?? really??? lol There's 20 teams in the league that would trade a nut to be in this predicament. Even the comedy show in the nations capital.