2019-2020 Hockey Thread

34 minutes ago, BillM said:

Pretty much.  I'll be happy with round 2 of the playoffs.  Anything further then that is gravy.

Exactly !!!!

10 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Leafs lost McElhinney & Pickard on waivers.

2 less goaltenders in the club. 

Lets hope Andersen and Sparks stay healthy.  ? 

Players staying healthy is the biggest concern ... especially when the media talks Stanley Cup !! .... man that pisses me off  ...lol,

• Like 1

I don't think Babcock and company are ever going to add some grittiness. Shame. That's one of my beefs against Babs.

I don't think the Leafs are close to being at the same level as the Jets, Preds etc.

Hopefully the Leafs finish a little higher in the standings and play a weaker team in the 1st round and advance.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:38 AM, jimmer said:

I look at Ottawa and someone lost their mind, the pressure to win was so big they really started to grasp at anything that would get the team back on track and ended up with no team or future team for a number of years. Melnyck should get out of hockey to save himself.

Its funny because this is what Ottawa fans were giving Leafs fans a hard time about in the early 2000's. Makes me laugh so much that the shoe is on the other foot. 

Only difference is our team isn't going to fold when we miss the playoffs for a few years in row. 

Great read on the Tavares signing ....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/john-tavares-maple-leafs-free-agency-story/

very interesting piece was  ...

"On the podcast, Dubas gave his highly quoted answer to the question of whether or not he could keep all four of Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares: “We can… and we will.” Tavares demanded that commitment. If he was going to make the leap, he craved assurances the team would not go backward."

Edited by Jds63

On 9/25/2018 at 2:41 PM, jimmer said:

Definitely an off night, but no we have the depth. I'm chalking it up to new linemates and opening night jitters

Those Matthews goals were filthy

Edited by leaf4

Nice to get the opening night win but come on...no speed, second to the puck dang near every time and lost most of the puck battles. It lead to them frantically flipping the puck out of their end and turnovers and more turnovers. I loved the amazing goals but was pretty frustrated watching that no show performance. 

lol i hear lots of people talking about the jets and preds...but washington won the cup...

Their D core was John Carlsonn and a bunch of journeymen...they just knew how to move the puck to their forwards. Its one game give it time. 

You guys are talking like Tampa Bay sucks too cause Stamkos and Kucherov arent big tough grinders lol The eastern conference isnt the western conference, two totally different styles of hockey. Case in point the leafs record against Nashville and Winnipeg last year? (the apparent holy grails of teams)

3-1...both teams couldnt handle toronto's speed, specifically nashville.

Another stat for you because Matthews and Tavares arent tough enough...Last year there were 8 centres in the NHL that scored 30+ goals...3 of them now play on the leafs lol You know what wins playoffs, depth, the ability for your 3rd and 4th line to win the war of attrition for you. There isnt a single other NHL team that has a 30 goal scorer Centre playing the 3rd line. We also have a guy that basically would be a high 20's goal scorer on any team playing on the fourth line.

You guys are caught up in 1993.

You do realize perhaps the greatest defenseman  of all time  Nick Lidstrom didnt use his physical power?

Now im not saying that the leafs dont need help on D, i 100% agree they do, but Friggin Matt Martin and Leo Komorov arent the answer ahahha

Im glad to see that Dermot looked really good last night, he was the leafs best D man...thats really really promising.

10 hours ago, leaf4 said:

Definitely an off night, but no we have the depth. I'm chalking it up to new linemates and opening night jitters

Those Matthews goals were filthy

I was referring to the exhibition game against Montreal last week, but last night could also apply.  They got the win in an ugly way.

1 hour ago, jimmer said:

I was referring to the exhibition game against Montreal last week, but last night could also apply.  They got the win in an ugly way.

I wouldnt call it the "ugly way" they outskilled a crap team

got away with one cause their forwards can bury pucks with ridiculous talent. Basically all three goals only a handful of players in the entire league are going to score those goals.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

I wouldnt call it the "ugly way" they outskilled a crap team

got away with one cause their forwards can bury pucks with ridiculous talent. Basically all three goals only a handful of players in the entire league are going to score those goals.

Wasn't criticizing the quality of the goals; they were amazing.  They could have easily lost that game though, if not for their goalie.

1 hour ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Looks like the Rat maybe getting some time off after last nights antics. ?

consensus is that Eller deserved it for celebrating on 7 goals ... but nice to see Boston get pummeled  ... no bitter taste here ... LOL

Last nights leafs game was a tough one to watch. I’m glad we won but did not thing we deserved the W. 

a few things I noticed: 

1) Play in our own end was SOFT. Players had the puck on their stick and would give a soft backhand right to the Montreal player. The puck was in the leafs end for far too long stretches. Especially on the penalty kill. Against a better team a lot of those penalty kills will end up with the leafs pulling the puck out of the back of the net 

2) Andersen looked very solid and Probnaly was the only reason this game went to OT. The second goal could have been considered soft (I think he went down too soon) but he saved a few that were high percentage scoring opportunities  

3) The power play and the 3 on 3 were just magic. The way these guys cycle the puck brought a tear to my eye. All 3 goals by the leafs were pure skill. 

4) Price also had a very good night. The leafs didn’t have a ton of scoring chances but when they did they were high percentage chances. I think I saw 2-3 plays where Price absolutely stood on his head. 

5) Montreal’s first overall pick (can’t remember the kids name) looks like the real deal. He had a lot of nifty moves and his line gave the leafs headaches all night. 

Edited by jerpears1

26 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

What a joke ...

after Vegas set the bar with their opening ceremonies during the playoffs, I think NHL marketing teams are trying to come up with ideas ... that one was lame for sure ....