2019-2020 Hockey Thread

It looked from my seat like the Leaf's thought that the Caps were going to mail it in, right from the puck drop. Both goalies looked awful, the Leaf's D were fighting the puck all night and frankly, it looked like the Leaf's were going through the motions. It wasn't until the Matthews goal, that we saw the real Leafs. Alas, it was too late.

Babs will have their heads back on straight for Friday's game.

I would sit Zietsev, he just looks lost out there.

Four beers plus tip... $70.00! We did get a "free" 100 year Leaf's towel and a Leaf's car flag though...

HH

You can't sit any D man, you forget Polak is out for basically ever? lol

The loss sucked, but it was nice to seem them battle back and try to make a game out of it. If it wasn't for that stupid play inside our own blue line where they fumbled the puck and gave up the Oshie goal, it would have been a tie game. I'm glad they just didn't roll over and die, that shows a lot of character for such a young squad.

You can't sit any D man, you forget Polak is out for basically ever? lol

The loss sucked, but it was nice to seem them battle back and try to make a game out of it. If it wasn't for that stupid play inside our own blue line where they fumbled the puck and gave up the Oshie goal, it would have been a tie game. I'm glad they just didn't roll over and die, that shows a lot of character for such a young squad.

Yep, but they better come out strong for game 5, and play 60

HH, it almost looked like bad ice or warm pucks. I called it out to my wife last night. Puck was bouncing everywhere, nobody could handle a pass, weird bounces in the corner

From my view point, it wasn't the ice. They were out of sink. Passes just out of reach that last game were tape to tape. They got out worked and out skated for most of the night. They didn't look like a team that wanted to win, they looked like a team that thought they would use their talent to win vs their proven winning method, out skate and out work.

Bill, normally I would agree about not sitting a defenceman, but Zietsev was a liability all night. I don't know what his +/- is, but he looked soft, scaredand unwilling to get dirty. Playoffs are dirty.

HH

From my view point, it wasn't the ice. They were out of sink. Passes just out of reach that last game were tape to tape. They got out worked and out skated for most of the night. They didn't look like a team that wanted to win, they looked like a team that thought they would use their talent to win vs their proven winning method, out skate and out work.

Bill, normally I would agree about not sitting a defenceman, but Zietsev was a liability all night. I don't know what his +/- is, but he looked soft, scaredand unwilling to get dirty. Playoffs are dirty.

HH

if you sit Zaitsev, Marchenko is his replacement. another option might be to give Carrick and Marincin more of Zaitsev's minutes. It seemed like Gardiner handled the puck a lot last night, too much for my liking, I think the other defensemen give it gardener too much and should try and make the plays themselves dumping off the boards or moving it up to the forwards.

the Leafs gave the puck away 29 times last night versus the Caps who gave it away 9 times, I think most of those were behind the leafs goal line playing with the puck.

HH

Rewatch the game. Barely anyone on either team could handle a pass. The puck was all over the place even on tape to tape passes it was bouncing, on edge etc

Rewatch the game. Barely anyone on either team could handle a pass. The puck was all over the place even on tape to tape passes it was bouncing, on edge etc

I was sitting in the end red seats. For one period, the Leafs goal was in our end. I don't need to re-watch anything, I saw it with my own eyes. And I saw things that folks at home missed when the camera followed the play.

Bill, I am not singling out Zietsev, I agree the whole team played poorly for most of the game, but some stuck out more than others and Zietsev looked out of place and a few moments late all night. Soft as well!

HH

HH

The Leafs weren't all that bad.

Yes they didn't come out with the intensity needed in the 1st period and pretty much lost the game right there.

There were able to mount a reasonable comeback unlike the Oilers the day before.

And their passing was no where near as lousy as the Flames passing was in last nights late game.

I don't blame Zietsev as he is probably still suffering the effects of that concussion.

I believe he came back early because Polak went out with his blowed up knee.

I was sitting in the end red seats. For one period, the Leafs goal was in our end. I don't need to re-watch anything, I saw it with my own eyes. And I saw things that folks at home missed when the camera followed the play.

Bill, I am not singling out Zietsev, I agree the whole team played poorly for most of the game, but some stuck out more than others and Zietsev looked out of place and a few moments late all night. Soft as well!

HH

No doubt, lots of softness last night. I hope the boys can re-group for Friday!

Lol, don't rewatch it then.

30 nhl players couldn't handle the puck, nothing odd there

But yeah, watching the game live is different indeed, both good and bad.

I watched the oilers dynasty smash Winnipeg in the 80s and when I watched it on TV, it was twit for tat. I seen things live I didn't see televised and vise versa

Also, mark messier could be heard cutting ice 6 rows up, no matter where he was on the ice

Edited by manitoubass2

What a great night of hockey last night eh guys??

:clapping:

Sens about to win the series and the laffs are playing,,,,,well,,,,,like the laffs.

Go Sens Go

Go Caps Go

:w00t::w00t::good:

The banter is fun but gee Matt, don't be such a huge pussy. You're completely invisible for days until the Leafs lose a game and then you miraculously have a thought enter your head. Do you really have nothing to add? Ever?

Gotta say it since no one else has, Gardiner is being relied on heavily, and shining through it all. He carried play throughout the night and always seemed to be in the right places when he needed to be

I'm probably on an island here, and I know the analysts sing his praises, but Gardiner drives me nuts!! That lackadaisical saunter he seems to have when he's got the puck! Even last night with 15 seconds left he goes back to pick up the puck and does the big loop dee loop before sending it back to the Caps end. Maybe he's the best of what we have but I just don't see it. Zero sense of urgency. Ok boys, let me have it!! Lol

The banter is fun but gee Matt, don't be such a huge pussy. You're completely invisible for days until the Leafs lose a game and then you miraculously have a thought enter your head. Do you really have nothing to add? Ever?

People do have lives you know lol. I try to keep up on my verbal jabs but sometimes life gets in the way. I don't sit at a desk all day so it's after work trolling for me.

And yes I have some to add, look at the highlights of Karlssons mastery with the puck post I put up. :whistling:

Thanks for the thought though! :dunno: