2019-2020 Hockey Thread

It's old news, but I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere, did Bergevin actually believe he had a shot at Aho with an $8.5 offer sheet? What a waste of time and meaningless drama. 

You did good Bergevin, you got Aho the deal he wanted with the Canes, you made yourself look like the idiot you are and pissed a few people off in the process.

it's mind boggling how he is the GM of such a storied franchise ?

He makes some good moves and then some that make you just scratch your head that's for sure.

And for sure with Aho, that's not even competitive for his upside... Should have gotten Eichel money with the way RFA's are being paid these days... 10 mill per doesn't seem too crazy

13 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Dubas sure is creative.

There's a good chance Marner will sign in a day or two now.

i think the deal actually represents that marner isnt going to sign until the deadline like Nylander. When you look at the cap implications the deal allows them to be cap compliant if Marner isnt signed into the season.

9 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

i think the deal actually represents that marner isnt going to sign until the deadline like Nylander. When you look at the cap implications the deal allows them to be cap compliant if Marner isnt signed into the season.

yeah, I didn't really understand the dynamics of the deal (I actually still don't totally grasp it now, lol)

Somehow it also protects the Leafs against an offer sheet that they wouldn't be able to match before because they'd be over the cap.

3 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

yeah, I didn't really understand the dynamics of the deal (I actually still don't totally grasp it now, lol)

Somehow it also protects the Leafs against an offer sheet that they wouldn't be able to match before because they'd be over the cap.

Theres a few twitter threads about it. An overall synopsis is that there are two issues.

1. The leafs need to be cap compliant on season opener, the clarkson deal puts them much closer to where they need to be. Theyd basically only need to move a million bucks now down to the minors or wherever in order to be cap compliant.

2. When you look at how Nylanders cap hit worked because he started 2 months into the season, his cap hit for the year was actually closer to 10.2 million. So if we are talking about Marner signing december first his cap hit for the year would be probably upwards of 13-14 million which obviously the leafs do not have available. Now with this extra LTIR relief they have the space to make the deal should it hold out until december 1. 

Brandon Pridham is the cap guru for the leafs, he actually helped write the existing CBA, hence he obvuously has an insiders knowledge of the loopholes available in the cap. Hence this deal happened. This is the exact type of advantage that the leafs being the richest team in the NHL need to continue to capitalize on. You may not be able to spend more on your roster, but you can definitely afford to bury 11+ million dollars in cash to work the cap in your favor. Furthermore you can afford to pay the best cap managers, management and coaching staff in the league. You can guarantee Pridham makes more money now than he ever did working for the NHL.

• 1 month later...

Saw Taylor Hall at the Luke Bryan concert last night.  I went up to him and said "Hey your Taylor Hall".  He didn't even look at me and kept walking haha.  Probably gets it all the time and wants to be left alone, but I was kinda star struck and should of just left him alone.  He's just lucky he wasn't behind me in line waiting to grab a beer.  

yeah, better weather in Raleigh, nobody really gives a crap, Gardiner can just punch the clock and cash his paycheck, lol

what's with these kids, Marner, Laine, Rantanen, Point etc, ? Did Nylander set a precedent? I wouldn't mind seeing all of them sit and twiddle their thumbs for a season and loose $8M or whatever

On 9/6/2019 at 8:09 AM, LostAnotherOne said:

Saw Taylor Hall at the Luke Bryan concert last night.  I went up to him and said "Hey your Taylor Hall".  He didn't even look at me and kept walking haha.  Probably gets it all the time and wants to be left alone, but I was kinda star struck and should of just left him alone.  He's just lucky he wasn't behind me in line waiting to grab a beer.  

bummer, those guys should be at least a little grateful to the fans, he could probably walk around NJ and nobody would recognize him

I had the same reaction at BPS in Vaughan years ago when I turned around in line at the cash to see who was yammering behind me, "hey, you're Randy Carlyle" just seemed to pop out of my mouth, lol