2019-2020 Hockey Thread

Wow I can't believe folks here are actually picking the Leafs to win. I have yet to hear any hockey analyst pick them. Their defense just isn't good enough, not to mention how they've been playing lately. Even Ottawa beat them twice in a row recently.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aplumma said:

Thank you for stopping the personal attacks. 

Cheers

Art

Its only temporary Art. Very important remember the delicate phsyce of a fanatic. Predictable but volatile. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, moxie said:

Its only temporary Art. Very important remember the delicate phsyce of a fanatic. Predictable but volatile. 

I really don't care what you say about the teams or the collective group of fans for the teams it is the personal attacks on each other that I will not allow.  

Art

• Like 1

The only hope for the Leafs would be if the Bruins can't play the intimidation game they like. The officials would need to start calling some of the Boston tactics and the Leafs powerplay needs to catch fire.  Toronto can out skate Boston but they can't play Boston's style of hockey. Boston penalties need to hurt so they abandon the Marchand style of hockey and try to skate with the Leafs.

The only hope for the Leafs would be if the Bruins can't play the intimidation game they like. The officials would need to start calling some of the Boston tactics and the Leafs powerplay needs to catch fire.  Toronto can out skate Boston but they can't play Boston's style of hockey. Boston penalties need to hurt so they abandon the Marchand style of hockey and try to skate with the Leafs.

Judging how the Sens manhandled the Laffs I'd say they already won the lottery !! The Laffs on the other hand didn't win the lottery having to face Boston but I can see you guys are doubling down on that fact . Boston is so in Toronto's kitchen they'll be making bread all day and night !!

54191380_10155989451131440_5322052357687607296_n.jpg

On 3/27/2019 at 3:02 PM, hatethelaffs said:

I'm so in your kitchen just like Boston......went to hockey school ?? Those poor kids you coached explains all the snowflakes.You're hilarious you just keep embarrassing yourself but your used to it been doing it here for years 

54191380_10155989451131440_5322052357687607296_n.jpg

Someone better have a look at hatethelaffs. Their needle seems to be stuck. 

Get some new material. We can’t hear you from the bottom of the outhouse. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hatethelaffs said:

No the best part is they all paid 10 times what the tickets were worth only to see their team get man handled by the last place team LMAO  

Imperial margarine sounds soft to me ....................

Nah the best part still is the home fans getting outnumbered by out of towners.    And the fact that the Sens didn't even make the playoffs, lol.   NHL should just move to the Sens to Quebec and rename them the Nordiques.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BillM said:

Nah the best part still is the home fans getting outnumbered by out of towners.    And the fact that the Sens didn't even make the playoffs, lol.   NHL should just move to the Sens to Quebec and rename them the Nordiques.  

I would pay to see that and Mylnyk won’t pay to not see it. 

Lets see some true fans fill their home arena. 

On 4/8/2019 at 8:32 PM, smitty55 said:

Wow I can't believe folks here are actually picking the Leafs to win. I have yet to hear any hockey analyst pick them. Their defense just isn't good enough, not to mention how they've been playing lately. Even Ottawa beat them twice in a row recently.

lol I love how much value people are giving meaningless games where half of the D core isnt playing.

Can someone explain to me why the same team as last year that took boston 7 + John Tavares + Jake Muzzin

Are apparently going to get swept by the bruins subtract Rick Nash? Whats different than last year? Is it that Roman Polak isnt playing lmao? If not him it must be Alex Plekenec then that is their major downfall compared to last year.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Can someone explain to me why the same team as last year that took boston 7 + John Tavares + Jake Muzzin

I honestly, truly, hope you're right.

It makes sense what you're saying, it's just the Leafs have been crap the 2nd half of the season and Freddie has looked pissed off or tired or something for a couple weeks. 

I wish the team was on a roll like they were in late November.

on a brighter note, I got a 1 day suspension from work and they choose to give me Thursday evening/ night off, Hahahah!

Edited by chris.brock

I think what we saw the second half of the season was a hell of a lot of A) injuries to defensemen (the leafs don’t have depth at D, their line up is actually ok without injuries but not deep enough when someone gets hurt)

B)- complacency: the team got such a big lead but Tampa was so friggin far into the playoffs they were uncatchable. They lost a lot of their edge and clearly just looked flat a lot of games. The curse of being the maple leafs is that every damn home game turns into a hockey night in Canada for the opposition. 50% of visiting team’s rosters are from the GTA so teams end up getting super hyped to come home to Toronto and play in front of their friends and family on the Toronto broadcast. Specifically on Saturday nights it’s a damn curse. When was the last time the leafs had an easy Saturday night matchup? That game always turns into a damn barn burner cause teams just come in absolutely fired up to play hockey night in Canada in Toronto.

C) the third factor is just that the style they were playing was getting a bit stale, teams were exposing the D once again because they knew that ozighanov and marincin couldn’t make the puck moving plays that the system requires in order for the leafs to have success. They play a stretch game that requires the d to be mobile  and move pucks very quickly. Like last year, polak was getting absolutely ruined because the book got out that if you threw the puck in his corner he couldn’t get the puck back out. 

With the full roster healthy, and the guys playing with a clean slate, I wouldn’t worry about the “slumps” that a few guys were in...in fact both kapanen and Nylander scored in the last game. A huge factor in this series will be, what happens with Auston Matthews, we all know what happens when he gets fired up and goes into “god mode” he has the capability to take over a game, if the leafs get that version of him, plus a marner tavares line that’s firing on all cylinders? That’s what you want. With this team you know what it’s capable of, you know you have 3 absolute super stars, plus a really good supporting cast that can score almost at will when firing on all cylinders. You know you have a goalie that’s vezina quality when playing well. Like any team, to win in the playoffs it takes a team that is firing. Time will tell what team shows up. I personally think that the playoffs are the exact motivation and kick in the butt that this team needs to start really firing again.

The keys to the series here are 1. does John Tavares or Auston Matthews do a good enough job to at least make the Bergeron matchup close last year it was a landslide victory by that line, and 2. Who wins the goalie duel. Freddie has the better season stats. Don’t relate spark’s 2-9 record over his last 11 games taint the picture of the goaltending in Toronto. Rask also struggled a lot towards the end of the season, probably just like Freddie due to fatigue. 

Finally last year, Toronto went into Boston green, the game was over within the first two shifts of game. The kids were totally overwhelmed they had no idea what they had gotten themselves Into. The Bergeron line just steamrolled over the Nylander line (yes he was playing centre, kadri got the boot) the matchups that Bergeron line was getting were ugly for Toronto. Leafs know what to expect in the gardens game one, they’ve all been there now and know exactly what to expect.

If you can even bring that  Bergeron matchup close, the second and specifically the third line of Toronto should hopefully totally expose the lack of speed and depth that Boston has. 

Cue the weak one sentence punchline chirp posts from fans of non playoff teams. My favourite are the ones where they complain about my posts being “too long” and “sharing too much of my thoughts” because they are “stupid and uninformed” while offering no rebuttal or insightful information to counteract my opinions.

Edited by AKRISONER

I like your positivity. There's a lot of "ifs", but hopefully they're firing on all cylinders 

"God mode", I like that, that was AM the last game against Buffalo. If he could stay in God mode, I'd take him over McDavid, Kucherov, whoever

I heard a Boston sports writer say the bruins and their fans are looking past the Leafs, thinking they are just going to roll right over them, I like that 

we'll see what these kids are made of, hopefully there's a hunger 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 8:32 PM, smitty55 said:

Sportsnet did a piece with all their analysts weighing in on who they thought would win each series. I'll grant you that the majority picked Boston but there was a sizable minority that picked Toronto for this series. If I had to bet, I'd bet the Leafs lose. There is a reason Boston is ahead in the standings. But anything can happen in a 7 game series so if you gave me two to one on the Leafs then I would take that bet.

Your long winded uneducated and whiner posts aren't worth the rebuttal and time to be honest . You sound like a typical whiny Laff fan. It's always somebody else's fault...the refs,the fans, the media. 50 % of players from the GTA ??? BAHAHA  That's right everybody is dying to play in the armpit of Canada and get put under a microscope. The fans and media will always bring this team down with the unrealistic expectations and Napoleon complex with the rest of the league. At least they moved the Hall of Fame to Toronto for you guys so you can at least look at the cup . Keep talking you only sound ridiculous the rest of us educated fans know the truth and history will repeat itself like it always does. The biggest problem with the Laffs.....heart  they don't have any !! Boston will roll them just like they do everytime  can't wait to hear all the excuses again and again. Takes a special type of flower to be a Laff fan enjoy . Can't wait for Marchand to get away with a ton of stuff and they listen to you guys whine about it . Christ Vegas even has more playoff wins than the Laffs since 2009 lol 

I'll go grab the popcorn ....