2019-2020 Hockey Thread

25 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

Crosby could make $17 mill?

The Pens, Hawks and Kings have all won a few cups recently with 5 guys accounting for more than 50% of the cap.  

Probably not 17, I was thinking more 16, as I believe a max contract allowed is 20% of the total cap. Which is roughly 16 mill 

16 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

That's how they do it in Pittsburgh and they just won 2 cups in the last 3 seasons.

The tough part is who to keep and who to let go. I would keep Muzzin over Gardner any day. However, it's those fringe players that have to be decided on. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Chicago is going through some tough times with some real good players.

56 minutes ago, jimmer said:

The tough part is who to keep and who to let go. I would keep Muzzin over Gardner any day. However, it's those fringe players that have to be decided on. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Chicago is going through some tough times with some real good players.

But they had to let some very good players go because of the cap.

Panarin for instance.

I think Gardiner will be lost to free agency, but am not sure who else will go during the summer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

I wonder how much higher Mitch's contract will push these numbers. :)

It's good to be flush with cash. ?

https://www.tsn.ca/the-interesting-wrinkles-of-matthews-new-deal-1.1253750?fbclid=IwAR3gdwCXFK6-IQpjBKJpYFkC_xuu9HiDVaB2kZ2rC8Wu1Q28fTQb9999UC4

OH! The Marleau contract becomes a lot easier to move to teams that have to reach the cap floor but don't have the cash. There may be a deal yet out there.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:32 AM, jimmer said:

The tough part is who to keep and who to let go. 

No brainer for me, to let go would be Zaitsev, Hainsey, Brown, Gardiner 

Nylander is good but not nearly close to $7 mill good, and God willing please let Marleau and his contract disappear before next season

• Like 1

damn those guys, but it was an even game from teams that look similar but that's why we pay JT $11

JMO but I don't like shaw on Muzzin and benn on Kadri and gallager snowing Freddie, wish we had a guy like McLaren to threaten to feed them their own teeth on national TV

Edited by chris.brock

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Hot or not, 23 sec in and down 1 already. 5 shots and it,s 2-1. If we lose Freddy to injury, were done if thats our back up.

I agree.

Going down 2 goals quickly changes the momentum and mentality of the game. How long will management keep playing Sparks? It's obvious he isn't working out.

whats even more ridiculous is youve got a capable backup in hutchinson available.

They are trying to let sparks work through it in the hopes that he finds his game because he is so young. If you send him out to pasture you basically lose a big time prospect. But lets get serious, at what point does a guy that looks like he is trying to make big saves every shot end up at the end of the rope.

his save percentage isnt atrocious but he has a nack for never making the key saves when you need them.

Itd be one thing if the leafs ran into a hot goalie and lost even 3-1 or 2-1, but you gotta stop more than that.

3 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Freddy did the same thing on Saturday only it was 51 seconds in.

But he rebounded quick.  Sparks looks so out of it out there.

21 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

whats even more ridiculous is youve got a capable backup in hutchinson available.

I thought he could not play anymore ? 10 game rule ? Or is that out the window once playoffs come ?

How funny that everyone gets their knickers in a knot so quickly. "Sparks has got to go! We had Curtis McElhinney and he was the best".

Curtis McElhinney is 13-6-1 with a save % of .916 and he is 35 years old. His career SP is .909

Sparks is 7-4-1 and developing. Trend line is higher. Current save percentage is .908, and it's his first fully year here. Give the guy a break, if Boston overtakes the Leafs it won't be because of Sparks.

Sparks wasn't outstanding but he wasn't the determining factor in the loss.  I'd say Kadri needed to score on one of his 12 shots. I did like his grit though at times. When they didn't score on that PP in the second period they were done!  No legs after that PP.

9 hours ago, scuro2 said:

How funny that everyone gets their knickers in a knot so quickly.

Nope, I've slandered Sparks since the preseason. To me it's obvious he's not comfortable, he's nervous and having trouble with his confidence. I understand it would be giving up on a prospect but I don't want him starting anymore games and costing us points.

here's a stat, last year the Leafs won 78% of games when they scored 1st, Sparks let his first one in at 28 seconds on Sunday, lol  

about time the PP coach figured out that Tavares and Matthews are capable of passing the puck ?

who woulda thunk, when the other team collapses high with 3 players to take away all of the seams and eliminate the marner to kadri/marner to matthews option that all you gotta do is put the puck down to a wide open JT who then has the shoot or pass to Matthews option with only one defender to deal with...

Tavares to Matthews, or vice versa...jeez it must have been pretty hard for them to realize that it could result in some goals? good grief.

• Haha 1

I thought it might be fun to take the family on a road trip on March break and watch the Leafs in ottawa. I checked, the crappiest seats are $180 each, so no thanks. 

Interesting though, a couple days earlier, we could see St Louis/ sens for $29 a ticket, lol, and that's on March break!

Unless the Leafs are in town, they can't give the tickets away. What a disgusting blemish ottawa and the sens are on Canadian hockey. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Isn't it about time that the goaltender coach talks to Freddie about handling the puck? It seems to me that every time he has the puck behind his net, he passes it, under pressure, to the wrong team! 

It also seems like Gardiner is the victim/culprit on the defense core....

HH