2019-2020 Hockey Thread

For 5 years I was hoping he would make a little less then $11.6. I expected that more for an 8 year deal. But that is why they are the experts and not me.

If Marner signs for 5 years does that mean he will sign for around $10? 

Also time to cue up MuskyMatt saying it was a bad deal and that Matthews is going to post a pic of him in his Arizona Cyotes pajamas in 5 years when he leaves. 

30 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

For 5 years I was hoping he would make a little less then $11.6. I expected that more for an 8 year deal. But that is why they are the experts and not me.

If Marner signs for 5 years does that mean he will sign for around $10? 

Also time to cue up MuskyMatt saying it was a bad deal and that Matthews is going to post a pic of him in his Arizona Cyotes pajamas in 5 years when he leaves. 

8 year deal would have been 12.5-13.

Marner will likely be 9.5-10 AAV on a 5-6 year.

Well do they really need to move anyone especially now?

If you replace your RFAs with internal talent half the problem is solved. Gardner, Hainsey, Innis, Lindholm, would all have to go unless they do Leaf cap friendly deals. The talent you would be interested in keeping is Sparks, Johnnson, and Kapanen...yet you have $5.3 on the books for Horton and another $1.2 for Kessel. Trade that debt away if need be. Horton comes off the books after next year anyways as does Marleau. If you listen to Dubas, that is his solution...internal talent to fill holes or to be used as bait in trades. He states basically they do a lot of future number crunching. Look at Pittsburg...similar boat, top 4 talent basically take up 1/2 the cap. I have no reason to doubt that Dubas can get er done. GMs now have to be great jugglers.

14 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Marner will likely be 9.5-10 AAV on a 5-6 year.

That seems to be the number. Listening to talk radio, one asked,if they offered 7 per, would he take it. They laughed. AM  might need to donate some of that outrageous salary to the Marner fund.

Dubby is not moving anyone til off season. He does though,want to lock Marner now.

All for the love of the game,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

3 hours ago, scuro2 said:

Well do they really need to move anyone especially now?

If you replace your RFAs with internal talent half the problem is solved. Gardner, Hainsey, Innis, Lindholm, would all have to go unless they do Leaf cap friendly deals. The talent you would be interested in keeping is Sparks, Johnnson, and Kapanen...yet you have $5.3 on the books for Horton and another $1.2 for Kessel. Trade that debt away if need be. Horton comes off the books after next year anyways as does Marleau. If you listen to Dubas, that is his solution...internal talent to fill holes or to be used as bait in trades. He states basically they do a lot of future number crunching. Look at Pittsburg...similar boat, top 4 talent basically take up 1/2 the cap. I have no reason to doubt that Dubas can get er done. GMs now have to be great jugglers.

The mentioned on 590 in the city, Toronto is going to keep the best players. So Nylander probably isn’t moving. Kapanen and Johnson are Probnaly between 2 and 3 million for 2-3 years each. They guys you mentioned are Probnaly gone. All this means is unless Dubas gets a really good deal he is Probnaly done trading this season. No big moves at the trade deadline. 

Ennis and Lindholm are cheap, why would they have to go? Those are the kind of players we need, cheap, but can still play an effective role.

There is creative ways to do things. Remember the Orpik trade-

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/orpiks-team-friendly-deal-with-capitals-one-month-after-trade-buyout-raises-eyebrows

1 hour ago, misfish said:

You did say best right ?

Lmao. I hate to say it because I really don’t like what he did this year, but he is starting to get his legs back under him. 

The problem was (and he is an idiot for doing this) he was half a season behind everyone else, finally got warmed off then was off for 9 days with the all star break and bye week. 

If he gets back to form by the playoffs i’d Be happy but also surprised. I think we won’t get our monies worth until 2019-2020

I think guys like Connor brown and Hyman are probably gone, looking at some of the projected roster trees that's what helps tip things into their favour, having guys like zaitsev at 4.5, Connor brown at 2.1, Hyman at 3 mill... It's too much for what they bring to the team, I love Hyman he's always in the right spot and plays a great hard game, but he's got no finish... He only pots the easy goals anyone could score lol

22 minutes ago, leaf4 said:

I think guys like Connor brown and Hyman are probably gone, looking at some of the projected roster trees that's what helps tip things into their favour, having guys like zaitsev at 4.5, Connor brown at 2.1, Hyman at 3 mill... It's too much for what they bring to the team, I love Hyman he's always in the right spot and plays a great hard game, but he's got no finish... He only pots the easy goals anyone could score lol

Kind of tough to fill out a roster when you have 4 or 5 guys taking half the cap and the rest wanting to make  a few mil.

It will be interesting to see if Gardiner stays.  I like the guy, I like what he brings to the game but I wouldn't be surprised if he's had enough of this place and goes elsewhere.  Same with Zaitsev.  Won't be surprised if Nylander is gone either.  

44 minutes ago, jimmer said:

Not sure how they sign Gardiner, with Marner still pending. Gardiner will want over 5 mil.

No way Gardner can stay. When they signed Musin it pretty much sealed the deal. Right now Toronto has $14 million available for next year. Even if Marner takes 9 they aren’t going to spend the other 5 just on Gardner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

That's how they do it in Pittsburgh and they just won 2 cups in the last 3 seasons.

Yes, but they are only paying Crosby 8.7 mill a year... He could make double that.

Plus Kessel is only in the books to them for 6.8 because we're eating 1.2mill of that 8mill a year, that was the only bad part about that trade.