2019-2020 Hockey Thread

On 1/21/2019 at 9:23 AM, muskymatt said:

You laffites are hilarious.?

"Anderson is an elite goalie" 

"Gardiner is a top 2 d-man"

"Matthews poster going up in my bedroom"

"Sign Nylander and we will win the cup"

Blah blah blah blah ?

Average at best and falling fast, no defence and no goaltending, Nylander is an overpaid joke and Matthews is acting like a spoiled brat who didn't get his way.

7% on PP in last 7 games bahahahahahaha

1-6 in last 7 games at home, lost 5 of last 6 ?

It was inevitable  this was going to happen, and how did I know? 

The laffs suck, the dreaded blue and white disease is alive and well.

If your sad sack team doesn't fold like a wet T-shirt and you do manage to make the playoffs, it will be a sweep and golf season for the laffs again!

BOSTON BRUINS !

And then all your high profile stars will be asking for top dollar and they will walk if they don't get it.

It's game 49 for the laffs and it's imploding already .

Cue the crickets...….not one comment after last nights embarrassing loss.....and yes I watched it, and loved it!

??

Matt reminds me of the star high school quarterback...all he can talk about is glory days and everything he talks about is always referenced back to his glory days. This team sucks because they sucked when I was back in high school.

Planet Earth has not stood still Matt...the past is over. Welcome to today! :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, leaf4 said:

Lmao too funny seeing Chiarelli get fired... It was a few days late. That goalie signing is just mind boggling, 27 games of NHL experience and you give out 4.5 mill for 3 years??? What on earth is that about

https://www.tsn.ca/nicholson-koskinen-extension-was-approved-by-organization-1.1246091?fbclid=IwAR25D7-qdgJ_1GU1q_KDKnm2I_ueRNt-u555NYcUepplOp6dT6cstqT8pUU

Edmonton Oilers president of hockey operations and CEO Bob Nicholson said Wednesday that former general manager Peter Chiarelli didn’t sign goaltender Mikko Koskinen to a contract extension on his own.

Koskinen was extended by the Oilers Monday on a three-year, $13.5 million deal – just one day before TSN’s Ryan Rishaug reported Chiarelli’s firing. Nicholson said Wednesday that the decision was approved by the organization, including the pro scouts.

“Peter did not make that deal all by himself. This deal really started when we got together with our pro scouts in Palm Springs in our meetings. We looked at the depth of the goalies that would be available next year. We really believe in Mikko. We had to make a decision between Mikko and Cam [Talbot]. We made that decision to go with Mikko and sign him to a three-year deal,” Nicholson said.

Cam Talbot is still a big part of this team and he’s been a great teammate and we hope that Cam will continue to play well for the team,” he added.  

According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the Oilers spoke to fellow goaltender Cam Talbot a few days ago about the Koskinen deal because they didn’t want him to be blindsided.

In 27 games so far this season, Talbot has a save percentage of .894 and a goals-against average of 3.27. Koskinen has been better, posting a save percentage of .910 and a GAA of 2.79 in 28 games played.

Meanwhile, Nicholson said the organization will begin the search for their next general manager immediately but didn’t offer a timetable for when they will name a replacement. In the meantime, Keith Gretzky will serve as the club’s general manager.

“There’s something in the water here in Edmonton that we don’t have right. And we got to get that figured out,” Nicholson said.

Edmonton will return to action from the break on Saturday Feb. 2 against the Philadelphia Flyers.

Oshie should be gone, he took the brunt of it, with his concussion history and his history of complaining about how long he has to sit out after a concussion, 

Ovi should be out of the game too, after head trauma he laid on the ice holding his head?

these spotters and this protocol is a joke

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

They did pull Ovi for testing.

The trainer told ovi-  just humor me here, lets go back to the dressing room for a bit so it looks like I'm doing my job and following the protocol 

ovi and the trainer are biased, that's why spotters are in place

down the road it's dirt bags like ovi that sue the NHL for not protecting them 

I should start betting against the Leafs every game.

Before the Tampa game I thought 'They are slumping. Tampa is on fire. If I was a betting man I'd put some surefire money on Tampa'

Oops. 

At around 4pm yesterday I said the same thing about Washington. 

Double oops.

Also my co-worker and I were talking about this yesterday. Want to get everyone's opinion on this. 

We were talking about if Edmonton was to move McDavid what it would take. I said it would be interesting if they started talking with Colorado. I say it would probably take 2 players and both of the 1st round picks Colorado has this year to start (Theirs and Ottawas lottery pick). I say if I'm Colorado I could go as high as Rantanen but McKinnon would be off the table. I say it makes no sense to move McKinnon plus other stuff when McDavid is just only a little bit better. My co-worker says she would make the deal (The deal we were thinking was McKinnon (Or Rantanen) and Tyson Barrie plus both of Colorado's first round picks)

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Also we said we could see McDavid going to Vegas a la Gretzky to LA however many years ago. 

18 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

Also my co-worker and I were talking about this yesterday. Want to get everyone's opinion on this. 

We were talking about if Edmonton was to move McDavid what it would take. I said it would be interesting if they started talking with Colorado. I say it would probably take 2 players and both of the 1st round picks Colorado has this year to start (Theirs and Ottawas lottery pick). I say if I'm Colorado I could go as high as Rantanen but McKinnon would be off the table. I say it makes no sense to move McKinnon plus other stuff when McDavid is just only a little bit better. My co-worker says she would make the deal (The deal we were thinking was McKinnon (Or Rantanen) and Tyson Barrie plus both of Colorado's first round picks)

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Also we said we could see McDavid going to Vegas a la Gretzky to LA however many years ago. 

I think you are fooling yourself if you think Mckinnon is only slightly worse than Mcdavid. I think you havent watched Mcdavid play enough. You have to remember that line on colarado is the equivalent of putting Matthews, Tavares and marner on a line together. Their stats are over inflated. 

Mcdavid is more than a scorer hes a game changer. You need to see who his line mates are to understand. recently he was on a line with friggin kassian as recently as 2 weeks ago.

To get him, it would take mckinnon and rantanen and a first, and even then I dont think edmonton does it. This isnt the olden days where trading away the greatest player of all time bailed your team out of financial trouble because you could add cash to the deal. Edmonton traded gretzky because the dollar was so poop that they were going to go out of business even while selling out every single game and being the best team in the world. To this day its still debated whether they should have done it. Unfortunately for Connor, he isnt going anywhere. Fortunately for the Edmonton fan base, he isnt going anywhere.

There is literally 0 reason to watch the edmonton oilers at the moment except for the fact that the best player on the planet is playing for them. Hence they pull good crowds and still have a revenue source despite being abysmal for the past decade.

I think people value ‘the best player in the game’ too highly now in the NHL. There is so much parity. It’s not like back when Gretzky was getting over 200 points and everone else (Save Mario Lemieux) was getting 150. Or even when Crosby was the only player over 100 points every season. 

You’d be trading 160 some odd points with McKinnon and Rantanen for between 100 and 130 for McDavid. 

The problem with hockey is even your best players can only be on the ice for 30 minutes max. That is when you start talking trading more then 1 star for a superstar it doesn’t make sense. You get more icetime our or the 2 stars overall. 

We were talking about this as well, maybe the asking price for McDavid is too large and as such, he is stuck in Edmonton until his contract runs out. 

I don't know if any of you guys have found the slapshot diaries, but there's some interesting, sometimes shocking, first hand, honest short stories about life in the NHL.

Luckily, my helmet had fallen over my face as they beat like crazy on me. When I managed to look up, I see our goalie, Jim Armstrong, who was probably the toughest guy on our team. I look up and he just flattens one of the Adduono brothers. The other Adduono brother two-hands him over the head and basically knocks Armstrong unconscious. The first of the Adduono brothers skates over his face as he is laying on the ice cutting him for thirty stitches. The second period ends and we just get on the bus and go home.

a few of my favorites-

http://slapshotdiaries.com/brad-delgarno-the-fight/

http://slapshotdiaries.com/the-rage-in-john-brophy/

This deal is gonna makea  guy like Chris Brock especially happy.

but even the stats nerds on twitter are loving this deal. 

But I still have a feeling that Dubas isnt done yet 5 outta 6 of the leafs D are left handed...its been confirmed that Toronto has been talking with Carolina. Dougie Hamilton would make the leafs look like a really really really heavy contender. 

31 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

This deal is gonna makea  guy like Chris Brock especially happy.

but even the stats nerds on twitter are loving this deal. 

But I still have a feeling that Dubas isnt done yet 5 outta 6 of the leafs D are left handed...its been confirmed that Toronto has been talking with Carolina. Dougie Hamilton would make the leafs look like a really really really heavy contender. 

Holy smokes. What would it take for the leafs to get Hamilton? Also he is a cap hit of 5.75 for two seasons after this. How would they make him fit?

Maybe Bret Pesce? He is only a hair over $4 million. Still though, the cap is going to be tight for a few years in leaf land. 

28 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

Holy smokes. What would it take for the leafs to get Hamilton? Also he is a cap hit of 5.75 for two seasons after this. How would they make him fit?

Maybe Bret Pesce? He is only a hair over $4 million. Still though, the cap is going to be tight for a few years in leaf land. 

ive said it before, ill say it again...kapanen + a D man?

or how about gardiner + for Hamilton?

1 minute ago, AKRISONER said:

ive said it before, ill say it again...kapanen + a D man?

or how about gardiner + for Hamilton?

Gardner for Hamilton will never happen unless its a sign and trade deal. I'm pretty sure the Canes aren't making the playoffs this year and to give up Hamilton for a rental wouldn't really make much sense. 

Plus if the leafs are all in, which it looks like they are going to be, they are going to try really hard to keep all of their roster players. Though that is looking a lot harder with what they have left now. 

2 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

What a pickup. Gave up practically nothing for him and he still has a year left. 

So long Jake Gardner, your replacement is here. 

This is the guy you pair with Jake.   He's absolutely not a replacement, lol.  

15 minutes ago, BillM said:

This is the guy you pair with Jake.   He's absolutely not a replacement, lol.  

i think he is referring to next year. As of now the leafs look like they are definitely all in, which they absolutely should be. This is the strongest leaf team you will literally ever see for a very long time. You have your two biggest stars on entry level contracts and one of your top 4 D is on a contract year, Another one of your stars (kap) is also on contract year and the salary cap is an issue big time from here on out.

Win now, and be competitive later. 

Trust me Kapanen is one of my favourite players on the entire team, and thats exactly why i think you shop him for a big time D man. I dont think anyone would argue that if you traded Kapenen for Dougie Hamilton that the leafs are not a better team...because as much as we love Kapanen, a top 2 right handed D for a 3rd line winger is a trade you make when you are trying to win right now.

Think of that D core!

Reilly Gardiner

Muzzin Hamilton

Hainsey Dermott

insanity

Edited by AKRISONER