2019-2020 Hockey Thread

4 hours ago, jerpears1 said:

Hyman showed last night how a pro returns after time off. Yes the goal and the +4 were nice but he was fighting every shift. Winning puck battles and really digging for the puck.

Maybe Babcock should have him room with Nylander for road games. The kid might learn a thing or two. 

A lot of guys don't like Hyman, not sure why.  I was glad to see him back last night.  He might have hands of stone at times, but he is amazing along the boards. I think the team missed him way more than Nylander.

The empty netter was interesting. It looks like Hyman didn't want to take credit for it until it looked like it might not go in so he took a swipe at it.

A little dangerous, but a classy move by Hyman. We could use more guys like Hyman, especially in the post season.

https://www.nhl.com/video/marners-empty-net-goal/t-300038928/c-64807503

I'm glad the Caps beat the Bruins last night , kept flipping back and forth between Leafs game and Bruins .

I want to be positive about the Leafs chances in the playoffs but watching the bruins and caps last night i'm not feeling that warm fuzzy feeling ...

those teams play the heavy game that Babcock was looking for in his team .. as I've said before the playoffs is a different beast , i'm worried for Marner, hes going to be a target in the playoffs, and the Leafs don't seem to have any muscle to stand up for their stars ...

Lets see if they acquire anyone for the last stretch ... 

did you notice the Bruins don't take the same liberties with the Caps as compared to when they play the Leafs.  Wilson is always cruising out there so the Bruins finish their checks but they don't get stupid.  You're right about Marner..... it's just a question of when not if, unfortunately. He reminds me of Gretzky in that he seems to be difficult to line up for a hit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oggie said:

did you notice the Bruins don't take the same liberties with the Caps as compared to when they play the Leafs.  Wilson is always cruising out there so the Bruins finish their checks but they don't get stupid.  You're right about Marner..... it's just a question of when not if, unfortunately. He reminds me of Gretzky in that he seems to be difficult to line up for a hit. 

yup , i didn’t want to compare him to Gretzky but he’s small framed like him and can skate and pass for sure... i just don’t want him to get caught with his head down or crushed by Chara in the playoffs ... yes Wilson keeps guys on their best behavior  , wish the Leafs had someone like that for the playoffs 

Lets see what the Leafs will do tonight .... 

We lost but I think we'll be ok, we've got a bunch of talent somewhat slumping right now, AM, Nylander, Kappi, Kadri,  only Marner especially and JT have been good.

Hopefully all these guys have found their stride and fire on all cylinders when it counts in the playoffs

If Rask got hurt they'd be screwed. During the N Anthem I was laughing when they showed him, no helmet he looked like a transformer, tiny, microscopic head on on a huge, padded, pumped up body

I don't know why bruce cassidy didn't tell them to hit everything that moves, they were pretty mellow

Rask is a pretty goalie down low, can't understand why the leafs kept shooting low and didn't shoot higher on him, they do the same thing every game against Rask , also no slapshots from the point just a bunch of blocked shots. 

So the question is, what happens now to Hutch? I heard he needs to go back to the Marlies .  10 game rule. Can he not take over the back up for Freddy ?

IMHO, he really proved to be with the leafs. And I think all the players are happy with him.

I know there is contract stuff with Sparks.

Edited by misfish

On the radio they were saying they can’t figure out why the fans were booing Gardner last night. 

Its simple. His compete level has to be better. He can be better and his last 2 games were just dreadful. He needs to know that level of compete is not good enough for a team of this caliber. 

People are saying they don’t want to see him go next year. Honestly, we don’t need puck movers. If we had 2 defensively responsible right handed D men that won battles and didn’t lose their head with the puck, we’d be better off 

• Like 2

Anyone who booed Gardiner is a POS... I'm not saying he's not frustrating to watch at times, but that's not right.

Gardiner literally prevented a goal with a good physical play in front of the net when Andersen was out of position later in the game. The selective memories have always been strong in this fanbase and it's embarrassing.

Hmmmm…..it's mid January and the leafs(laffs) are falling hard.

Why is that not surprising! ?

Watching the hockey analysts talk about the fall of the laffs is classic laffs hockey. 

A fall from first in the east in November to 7th and 3 points away from 12th. Playing typical laffs hockey again, over paid for over rated Nylander, Matthews doing squat, Gardiner being booed……..hahaha I love it.

I couldn't care less if the Sens are in last place because watching the laffs fail and their fans suffer and whine is like winning the lotto.

Still a chance for the laffs to miss the playoff but even if they do make it...….BOSTON......bahahhahaha

??

23 minutes ago, muskymatt said:

I couldn't care less if the Sens are in last place because watching the laffs 

??

I love reading between the lines. Sens suck and are giving Hughs (Hues?) to the Avs. So Matt is watching the leafs again. It’ll be ok. He’ll come out of the closet as a leafs fan in a few years. 

Edited by jerpears1

15 hours ago, chris.brock said:

tampa hasn't lost at home since November, well, they lost at home tonight

Freddie got that one for the boys ... he was outstanding ...

nice to see Kadri put a few points on the board to ... why couldnt they have played like that when i went to see them play against Carolina, that was like watching paint dry ...

Edited by Jds63

6 hours ago, Jds63 said:

Freddie got that one for the boys ... he was outstanding ...

yes he was, they got the 3 stars of the game right,

It's hard to watch Sparks tonight, 2 goals on 7 shots, I have the feeling his confidence is gone and he might not ever get it back, I know Sparks is Dubas' baby from the Marlies Calder Cup last year, but how long will management continue playing Sparks when he is terrible? write him off christs sakes and move on, we've got Hutch, this flogging a dead horse is costing us huge 

Edited by chris.brock

I'm gonna vent a bit here-

Babs has been juggling lines pretty good during this slump but he absolutely refuses to play AM with Marner because he's too proud and pig headed to do so, JT with Kappi and Johnsson as a second line could easily click too, desperate times call for desperate measures but Bab's ego is bigger than his commitment to winning 

I still have hope for Dubas, I'm hoping he's young and fresh with ingenuity but something in the back of my mind thinks he could turn out to be a typical Leafs GM

26 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

I still have hope for Dubas, I'm hoping he's young and fresh with ingenuity but something in the back of my mind thinks he could turn out to be a typical Leafs GM

The moment i’m Going to hold him to is the Nylander signing. It was a big moment for Dubas and we will see how it all turns out. I would have been totally fine if Nylander rode the pine the entire season rather then Dubas caving in to make a deal. Now we are hearing he won’t be able to keep Kapanen and Johnson. 

This summer will be interesting to see if the leafs keep making strides forward towards the cup.