2019-2020 Hockey Thread

On 12/15/2018 at 12:26 PM, chris.brock said:

Gauthier has been given plenty of opportunity with the big club but hasn't managed to accomplish anything. He was our 1st round pick in 2013, urghh.

Was that a Brian Burke pick???  I really enjoy listening to him on Sportsnet panel.......?

I found this interesting.

2 long time team mates get into a spirited fight.

I'm thinking the ottawa dressing room wasn't (and probably still isn't) all sunshine and apple pie.

Meanwhile, senators owner Melnyk and business partner file lawsuits against each other for hundreds of millions of $$$. The whole franchise seems like a circus.

1 hour ago, chris.brock said:

I found this interesting.

2 long time team mates get into a spirited fight.

I'm thinking the ottawa dressing room wasn't (and probably still isn't) all sunshine and apple pie.

Meanwhile, senators owner Melnyk and business partner file lawsuits against each other for hundreds of millions of $$$. The whole franchise seems like a circus.

Slip of the tongue; or not?

55 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

I’ll stir the pot. 7 goals and not a single point by Nylander. Thoughts? 

I think he looks pretty sharp, even on his first game back, he's gotten a lot of attention with his hold out and contract etc, but realistically he is only a 20 goal scorer and a one way player 

Just now, misfish said:

Why not? He,s an athlete. Should of been on the ice everyday staying in shape while he was sitting out.

One the ice everyday by himself for 3 months and not practicing with the team makes a huge difference.    He's not out of shape, he's out of form.  The only thing that fixes that is game play...    

7 minutes ago, misfish said:

Why not? He,s an athlete. Should of been on the ice everyday staying in shape while he was sitting out.

Agreed with B. He was playing in Sweden. Maybe if he was holding out for more money he should have made them say ‘we made the right decision’ when he came back. Auston Matthews always seems to be better when he comes back from an off season or an injury. 

He decided he was going to play ‘big dog’ and hold out all of this time. Then the team even back payed him this season for the games he didn’t play. So now we are saying ‘let’s give him a few PAID games to get into shape’? 

Lets pay all the players for training camp and pre-season then. 

I honestly don’t care when he is supposed to be ready or how many games he supposedly needs. I’m happy to have him back but when he acts like his you know what don’t stink and he was worth holding out for 2 months, i’m Holding him to a higher standard because that’s what he essentially promised us by holding out. 

• Like 1

Well the Leafs have 12 years before their name gets removed from the bottom ring of the Stanley cup ... as they add more rings to the top , the bottom rings get removed and displayed at the Hockey Hall of Fame, so in 2030 the Leafs last winning team from 1967 wont be on the cup anymore....

I am  a glass half full guy so hope all the stars align and the Leafs can get to the big show before i forget what Hockey is all about ...LOL

Having said that we know how hard it is to win a cup even when you have a talented team on paper .... add another wrinkle to this dream  ...

SIMMONS: Marleau's contract now a boondoggle for Leafs

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/simmons-patrick-marleaus-contract-has-become-a-boondoggle-for-maple-leafs/wcm/f06a3a7f-2693-4973-a087-33005caac9c9

"This is how the math works here: If Marleau agrees to a move, the Leafs can probably afford to sign Gardiner. If he doesn’t agree, they can’t possibly pay Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Freddy Andersen, Nazem Kadri, Morgan Rielly, Marleau and Gardiner somewhere in the neighbourhood of $67 million. That would leave just $16 million for 14 players.

In other words: Impossible."

Edited by Jds63

I'm not big on Bob Cole and his anti Leaf sentiment, I'm not happy

I wish Bowen was back on TV

edit- through 2 periods, Cole has just sucked the life out of my Saturday night Leaf game, he's such a bummer, he's so disconnected from what's actually happening in the game, I'm having flashbacks from the Ballard years, I hope to christ he's not doing tomorrow's game

Edited by chris.brock