2019-2020 Hockey Thread

I know its early but this Atlantic division is so tight this year.  Someones going to get a lot of points this year and not get home advantage in the first round.  If Tampa say gets 110pts Toronto gets 108pts and Buffalo gets 107 points that would mean Buffalo would get screwed over even if they have more points then anyone in the Metropolitan division.  Hopefully thats not too confusing guys. Just pisses me off. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LostAnotherOne said:

I know its early but this Atlantic division is so tight this year.  Someones going to get a lot of points this year and not get home advantage in the first round.  If Tampa say gets 110pts Toronto gets 108pts and Buffalo gets 107 points that would mean Buffalo would get screwed over even if they have more points then anyone in the Metropolitan division.  Hopefully thats not too confusing guys. Just pisses me off. 

i am not a fan of this playoff format at all. Were gonna have a 2vs3 first round elimination while potentially 6 and 7 play eachother...it makes no sense at all

the extra poopy part about it is that toronto is most likely one of the two  teams getting the shaft.

In other news...matty didnt skip a beat eh...marner 6 pts in 2 games...Johnny T pots two...firing on all cylinders, and nylander joins in next week...oooo wwwweeee

Gotta love that all of the buzz is about Marner and Matthews, while Tavares is quietly on pace for a measly 53 goals lmao

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

Agreed with the guys who mentioned how horrible the playoff structure is now. I think it is the worst format it has ever been. I was a fan of 1 vs 8. I'd be an even bigger fan of 1 vs 16. 

I've heard a lot of the experts saying doing 1 vs 16 the problem is the potential travel time. If you have Boston vs San Jose in the first round, the travel really isn't fair. To that I would recommend they change the playoff format as well  from the current 2 home, 2 road, 1 home, 1 road, 1 home to 2 road, 3 home, 1 road, 1 home. 

I always hated how 'home ice' meant you have to win both at home to open up or you lose the advantage. With my format (I think they do this for baseball) you win 1 of the first 2 on the road and you have home ice advantage, then you get 3 at home with a potential to close out at home. Takes the pressure off of the top seed. 

A totally dumb way to do it, needlessly complicated too. It should be 1 vs 8.

If the season ended now, the Leafs would play Tampa. What kind of reward is that for TOR and TAM having excellent seasons? It makes a long season even less meaningful.

I think this system was set up to create division rivalries. That's fine, but it still should be 1 vs 8 when the playoffs start. 

Edited by chris.brock
  • Like 2

I agree with everyone, the playoff format stinks. I did hear the explanation of why this format was put in place, but I still didn't get it and can't remember why they went this route. Something about rivalries???? Rivalries can beginning in the playoffs for grumps sake!

The game last night showed the Leaf's amazing speed with an exclamation mark. They also seemed much more creative if that's possible with only one player being added. He seems to be able to raise everyone's game when he is playing.

Matthews just doesn't realise his impact here in the big smoke yet …. Could these guys take us to the promised land ????? Hold on to your hats !!!!!!

Coming back off a injury and potting 2 goals and an assist … get your Matthews jersey's boys !!! he maybe the real deal … I have 3 jerseys (Gilmour , Domi, Sundin ….) may have to add a 4rth now .. wifes gonna kill me …LOL

Hard to get your head around the Talent on this team  …. (Mathews , Tavares, Marner, Andersen, Riley , Nylander ?, Kapanen …..

Analysts say if they sign Nylander they will probably trade him next year.

1 hour ago, Jds63 said:

Could these guys take us to the promised land ????? Hold on to your hats !!!!!!

Don't schedule any off the grid fishing trips for late May/ early June Julian, lol, I know I'm not, just in case.

IMO there's about 6 teams that have a decent shot, including the Leafs. So, with everyone staying healthy, a bit of luck and some bounces, it's possible. 

Edited by chris.brock
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

Don't schedule any off the grid fishing trips for late May/ early June Julian, lol, I know I'm not, just in case.

IMO there's about 6 teams that have a decent shot, including the Leafs. So, with everyone staying healthy, a bit of luck and some bounces, it's possible. 

Yeah good point Chris  ... no fly ins booked for June ... LOL

I was in Algonquin one spring with Mike Borger in May and we were listening to the Leafs playoff game against Boston under a tarp in the pouring rain, we had the little radio antenna touching some aluminum pots to get better reception ... it was great !!! sipping on some nectar and cheering for the Leafs , they lost bad that year ... sorry I know we all remember that awful game 7 ... LOL

Just need everyone to stay healthy..... ?

Edited by Jds63

19 hours ago, chris.brock said:

lmao we nearly had one member of our 4some back out on our trip to south carolina because of the leafs last year. Our luck they got eliminated and buddy didnt bail. Next year we will be going much earlier lol.

Edited by AKRISONER

19 hours ago, Jds63 said:

Yeah good point Chris  ... no fly ins booked for June ... LOL

I was in Algonquin one spring with Mike Borger in May and we were listening to the Leafs playoff game against Boston under a tarp in the pouring rain, we had the little radio antenna touching some aluminum pots to get better reception ... it was great !!! sipping on some nectar and cheering for the Leafs

THAT would be 1000 times better than watching it and listening to Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson!!!!! 

2 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

THAT would be 1000 times better than watching it and listening to Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson!!!!! 

dont even get me started on Hughson the vancouver homer...how in the heck did the leafs end up with a guy that hates the team as their announcer...brutal