2019-2020 Hockey Thread

17 hours ago, chris.brock said:

akri, you should throw a hit like that on Mc David, Kassian or Lucic will feed you your own teeth 

kassian as of this week got cut from the oilers and has been provided an open door to find himself a team that he can be traded too...

Lmao your second best example is Lucic...if you like watching that bum attempt to stand up on his skates then you and I will never see eye to eye lmao. (im an oilers fan)

The only reason Lucic is even in the NHL is because the oilers have to justify how much money they are blowing on his salary every season for a sub 4th liner...the guy wouldnt be in the NHL if the oilers werent dumb enough to pay him.

Also...youd rather toronto play like edmonton? so finish with 20 pts out of the playoffs? Well it was worth it because they got in more fights than the leafs. taking penalties and sucking at hockey, now that entertainment. Imagine the oilers didnt get gifted with Mcdavid, where would they be?

Edited by AKRISONER

no, we're not going to agree on this one, lol

You're missing the whole concept. This is a contact sport that allows fighting for christs sakes, there's no other sport like it, anywhere. Physicality, intimidation and the threat of a beating are big factors in a team's success. This gets amplified come playoff time.

The Leaf's team toughness is at an all time low.

Matt Martin scored his 3rd of the season tonight.

Edited by chris.brock

theres nothing tough about ryan ellis and PK subban, or drew doughty for that matter.

Funny you keep referencing guys from non playoff teams...coincidence, i think not.

The Playoffs dont matter if you dont get there in the first place.

I think you are confusing toughness with quality defense lol Tough forwards that dont score dont win hockey games. D men that are slow that cant win puck battles or get the puck out of their zone like nikita zaitsev or make terrible decisions and have terrible giveways like jake gardiner, or are just too damn slow to keep up in todays nhl like Ron Hainsey are the issue.

Edited by AKRISONER

16 hours ago, chris.brock said:

no, we're not going to agree on this one, lol

You're missing the whole concept. This is a contact sport that allows fighting for christs sakes, there's no other sport like it, anywhere. Physicality, intimidation and the threat of a beating are big factors in a team's success. This gets amplified come playoff time.

The Leaf's team toughness is at an all time low.

Matt Martin scored his 3rd of the season tonight.

Yeah, I always thought Matt Martin was a more talented tough guy.  I was actually surprised when he was benched last year.

I think that in today's NHL the answer is somewhere between a small highly skilled team and one with enforcers. Look at the Jets, lots of speed and skill but can also elevate the level of physicality enough to throw teams off their game. You don't dipsy doodle around with the puck when playing the Jets....Matthews will tell ya. They're a big enough team that the old school style of simply finishing your checks will tilt the ice in your favor. And if someone does happen to get courageous, Big Buf is there to settle them down. I'm well aware the Leafs beat them but I don't believe for a second that if it were playoff hockey they'd play us the same way and we'd necessarily just be able to outscore them.  So I don't think the Leafs need a one dimensional enforcer, they need a Dman or two that will punish the other team's forwards and give our forwards a little more time and space.

You need guys that can mix it up but also not be a liability on the ice.  Big Buf is a perfect example of this and the type of player I'd like to see Toronto have in their line up.  

Physical play can turn the game, anyone remember when Kadri laid those two big hits against Washington last year in one shift during Game 3 of the playoffs?  Absolutely turned the game around.

When you constantly pound forwards into the boards when they go deep in the offensive zone you make them think twice.   Their effectiveness dwindles if all they're worried about is being crushed.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

I think that in today's NHL the answer is somewhere between a small highly skilled team and one with enforcers. Look at the Jets, lots of speed and skill but can also elevate the level of physicality enough to throw teams off their game. You don't dipsy doodle around with the puck when playing the Jets....Matthews will tell ya. They're a big enough team that the old school style of simply finishing your checks will tilt the ice in your favor. And if someone does happen to get courageous, Big Buf is there to settle them down. I'm well aware the Leafs beat them but I don't believe for a second that if it were playoff hockey they'd play us the same way and we'd necessarily just be able to outscore them.  So I don't think the Leafs need a one dimensional enforcer, they need a Dman or two that will punish the other team's forwards and give our forwards a little more time and space.

I agree, but those kind of players aren't easy to find.  Teams that have them don't want to let them go, unless of course we might offer up Nylander, even then it's a tough sell.

56 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

this guy scores less than i did with the ladies in college and highschool...and thats sad

matt-martin.jpg

LOL, I didn't say he was a super star.  I don't see our fourth line lighting it up, so a guy like that can't really hurt the team too bad.  Ultimately, some mobile big wingers and D-men would be nice, the team isn't drafting that way though from what I see.  I guess we can't have everything we want!

6 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Funny you keep referencing guys from non playoff teams...coincidence, i think not.

ok, here's a guy from a playoff team, the Stanley Cup champs actually, Tom Wilson, I thought you said teams don't dress tough guys anymore?

I think the leafs need a defenseman who can move the puck, Reilly is the only one who can pass it to the players stick, the rest of them I can't believe how bad there puck passing is except for maybe Dermott. Rosen is in the minors and can move the puck but is a bit of a defence liability and can work the power play, I think he can play in the NHL .

I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Nylander and gardiner for a couple players. 

10 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

^^^^^^ Hear Matthews scream??? We have to trade him.

Yep! Matt Martin would have knocked Carlton out, lol.

Funny story, a buddy played Varsity B Ball for Guelph. He had made a few mistakes in a game and the coach took him out to sit on the bench. The Brock Badger mascot was in his face taunting him, saying- baaaadgers, baaaaadgers. My buddy lost it and knocked out the mascot with one punch. He didn't feel too great when it was revealed the Badger mascot was a FEMALE student.

1 hour ago, chris.brock said:

Funny story, a buddy played Varsity B Ball for Guelph. He had made a few mistakes in a game and the coach took him out to sit on the bench. The Brock Badger mascot was in his face taunting him, saying- baaaadgers, baaaaadgers. My buddy lost it and knocked out the mascot with one punch. He didn't feel too great when it was revealed the Badger mascot was a FEMALE student.

?????????????

14 hours ago, chris.brock said:

Can't imagine the feeling.......

On 10/31/2018 at 4:44 PM, chris.brock said:

ok, here's a guy from a playoff team, the Stanley Cup champs actually, Tom Wilson, I thought you said teams don't dress tough guys anymore?

I have no time for an idiot like that guy that purposely tries to injure other players by giving them traumatic brain injuries. 

I wish you would have suggest a guy like big buff. 

Or even better although he just retired, jerome iginla

Did tough guys save Paul Kariya, Eric Lindros, Bobby Orr, Sidney Crosby from either having career ending or close there to it injuries from dirty hits? Nope not even close...Its a common thing to run good players with a goon or not it doesnt deter anyone. How do you think a rat like brad marchand has survived so long in the league, hes played against plenty of teams over his career with plenty of big tough guys, it hasnt stopped him from being a dirt bag for a second.

I dont want anyone to think that I dont like hitting and hockey fights...who doesnt, I just totally disagree with the argument that a goon that cant skate or score wins hockey games. If you have a guy that can do both...now you are talking. Big powerful guys with skill and D men that can get the puck out of your zone win hockey games. Being an idiot and taking penalties/punching people in staged fights doesn't do a thing.

good article ....

I don't think fans are burning TML jerseys yet but I like what he says  ...

"After a terrific start to the season, Tavares has been OK for the Leafs, but just OK. You don’t pay $11 million for OK."

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/simmons-maple-leafs-problems-are-deeper-than-matthews-injury-and-nylander-absence/wcm/2a9955ce-e6d0-495e-82f1-156b31b4b210

3 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Eric Lindros, Bobby Orr,

Lindros was a baboon. Skated with his head down all the time. Easy target.

As for Orr, he didnt need anyone to protect him, but had guys like Cashman,Riely.. His knees took a beat,n from years of slide puck blocks. The shin pads back then are nothing like today. Even with that said, I have yet to see a D man do a proper slide puck stop since Orr. Get that puck in the area between the knee cap and shin, and thats some pain. Had a few of them in my playing days. Orr was IMO, the best ever, rushing Dman. It was a sad day when he went to Chicago.

Oh the rival games of Boston and Philly.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:59 AM, Jds63 said:

good article ....

I don't think fans are burning TML jerseys yet but I like what he says  ...

"After a terrific start to the season, Tavares has been OK for the Leafs, but just OK. You don’t pay $11 million for OK."

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/simmons-maple-leafs-problems-are-deeper-than-matthews-injury-and-nylander-absence/wcm/2a9955ce-e6d0-495e-82f1-156b31b4b210

I hear ya Julian, but I think it's still pretty early in the season, he's proven what he can consistently do from his years in Long Island, I think the cream will rise to the top, I'm not worried or regretting signing JT.

Now that I've watched him play more closely, he's kinda like a blend of Dave Andreychuck/ Joe Thornton.

Maybe he settled back in Oakville. If I did happen to bump into him in Oakville, I'm going to thank him for having the passion and the balls to come home.

• Like 1