2019-2020 Hockey Thread

12 minutes ago, jimmer said:

They can't win them all and it looked like Murray was lucky on a few of the chances. Go Babcock!

Murray definitely stood tall, but also go lucky on some leaf opportunities.

That Babcock swearing was amazing, my wife was in the kitchen and came around the corner and was like "Where was that from!?" and had me rewind it to show her ?

On 10/19/2018 at 12:44 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

I got a chuckle out of that last night. ? 

After all the hype of the big scoring team, I was looking forward to watching last nights game.  HMMMM I didnt get a chuckle. Im sure Matt did though. LOL

Seems the hot sticks for the laffs have cooled off. As Babcock said, it's the NHL and teams will not be easy to score on. 2 losses and only one goal to show for it is not the end of the world but I dont expect they will continue on the pace they were on. 

Defence and goaltending is still and will be a problem for the laffs.

Laffs loss and Sens beating the habs......good night of hockey.

1 hour ago, muskymatt said:

Seems the hot sticks for the laffs have cooled off. As Babcock said, it's the NHL and teams will not be easy to score on. 2 losses and only one goal to show for it is not the end of the world but I dont expect they will continue on the pace they were on. 

Defence and goaltending is still and will be a problem for the laffs.

Laffs loss and Sens beating the habs......good night of hockey.

Some truth mixed in there somewhere but as usual, it's the glass is half empty view. It's obvious to pretty much to the entire planet there is no way the Leafs would continue at the early scoring pace. No big revelation there but pat yourself on the back Captain Obvious. Goaltending is an area I disagree on. Andersen has proved himself and there has been no indication this year it'll be any different. That is, unless someone thinks you can predict an entire seasons performance on a few early games. We're not that silly, right?? Defence is very much in need of a booster...I didn't like it last year, I don't like it this year. As for the Sucks, well, the burning question is who honestly cares? They're a mediocre team playing in hopes of a playoff spot at the very most. That would be the pinnacle of their season so, yawn, whatever. The Sucks make the news when a) a player insults another player's wife, b) a player requests a trade out of the swamp, c) the organization trades away franchise players for popcorn. Other than that, Hockey News can't find Ottawa on a map. Zzzzzzzz

Personally, I don't like pulling the goalie with 3 minutes left when trailing. It has backfired the last 2 games.

They pulled Freddie last night and were on the PP, that backfired pretty quick, lol

Up next, a home and home with the mighty Jets.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

interesting discussion on the cap hit  .... just wish they would get this done and get the team focused and moving forward ...

Barring a total collapse, which to me doesnt actually represent a real argument

Everyone talks about how the leafs need to be bigger and tougher...Look at how slow the jets look vs the leafs...they cant match 3 the up front skill, there was like 6 odd man rushes in the first where toronto totally stretched the jets out and they couldnt keep up with matthews, kappenen marner or kadri.

The jets are a damn good team...perhaps top 4 in the entire league...but speed kills. The western conference is just different than the east.

22 minutes ago, BillM said:

They were losing a lot of one on one battles against the Jets lastnight, especially in their own zone.   I think that's the kind of toughness people are talking about.  Gotta win those one on one battles.

im not surprised their D gets beat up by a team with forwards like the jets...but at the same time, what do you want...forwards with skill and speed, or forwards that grind and cycle.

then you have weird hybrids like matthews who owns the puck down low but can also score.

Marner made big buff look silly on that 4th goal.

Its great to watch the Leafs this year and last years team as well … they had skill and speed in last years playoffs and Boston made them look like a Junior A team in the first two games in my opinion ... and Washington the year before beat them in the first round as well

regular season hockey is great to watch but the playoffs is a whole different beast .. Washington had the skill and the grit needed in the playoffs … Leafs lost Komarov but they still have Gardner , I think it should have been the other way around  

Hopefully they will make it to the playoffs and if its Boston they meet again , I will be really pissed if they get outmuscled again …

16 minutes ago, BillM said:

All they gotta do against Boston is not get sucked into playing Bostons game.  If they don't, Boston won't be able to keep up.   They'll get frustrated, take penalties, then the Leafs PP will eat them alive.

Or bite Marchand's tongue off when he tries to lick one of them....LOL

59 minutes ago, jimmer said:

Or bite Marchand's tongue off when he tries to lick one of them....LOL

I think you are under estimating two major things about that series in Boston. 

1. The first two games in Td gardens the leafs looked like a junior A team because they were a bunch of kids that had never played heavy playoff hockey. Boston was prepared and came out and just ran over them

2. Our number two centre got suspended for three games in the first game of the entire series. That made for an absolutely massive change in line up matchups for the rest of the series. 

If you erase the first two games where Toronto just looked stunned Toronto won 3 of the next 5 games.

Our centres were if I can even remember correctly? Auston Matthews, William nylander and Tomas Plekenec

thats a hell of a lot different than matthews, Tavares and kadri with marner Marleau nylander and now the beast Kapanen on the wings...they are basically an entirely different team.

While we are on the subject of “wimpy” players, Mitch marner was by far and away the leafs best player in that entire series...

im not disagreeing the leafs could improve on D but if you really think Leo Komorov is the answer, I can assure you, you are dead wrong lol. In the total 8 games that Leo played against Washington and Boston in the playoffs he had 1 assist lol. He sucked.