2019-2020 Hockey Thread

On 11/10/2017 at 7:45 AM, muskymatt said:

Can't wait to see Duchene come flying out of the gates for Ottawa today!!!

I'd say we are one player (or maybe not) away from a cup contender now!

If anyone here wants a true gauge of how much Matt understands hockey...just remember this post.

more like one player leaving (Erik) away from the team folding and moving to Seattle 

Edited by AKRISONER

Anyone in their right mind would understand that and find perpective but were talking about  "leaf nation " here where every goal, bad call, injury etc swings moods like some "the world is against me"whack job clad in a straight jacket bouncing from padded wall to padded wall between med intake. The key is progression and this year aint that. 

Sens fans especially, would know how deep that hole of regression can be. 

4 minutes ago, moxie said:

Anyone in their right mind would understand that and find perpective but were talking about  "leaf nation " here where every goal, bad call, injury etc swings moods like some "the world is against me"whack job clad in a straight jacket bouncing from padded wall to padded wall between med intake. The key is progression and this year aint that. 

Sens fans especially, would know how deep that hole of regression can be. 

pardon?

They went from making the playoffs on the second last day of the year to breaking a single season record for wins and running into the best team in the east in round 1 because of the stupid playoff format. Can we not give boston some credit for how friggin good they are? The leafs have outplayed boston the last two games and Rask stole the game last night. 

The Leafs defense which we knew was bad...has been exposed....big surprise there? Take the experience...learn, improve the back end...I wont be surprised if nylander plus another piece get traded for a D man this off season at all.

Also Mitch Marner has turned into the leafs best playmaker and could become one of the best in the league...remember how much he struggled at the beginning of the season...hes looked great this series...

Edited by AKRISONER

7 minutes ago, scuro2 said:

ZING....Matt takes another hit. :)

Now that's laughable. .......I've been hard on the Sens all season long. Almost from out of the gate I've said they sucked. And I was hoping for last place  

Sheese.........you can't even banter accurately. .......lol

6 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

pardon?

They went from making the playoffs on the second last day of the year to breaking a single season record for wins and running into the best team in the east in round 1 because of the stupid playoff format. Can we not give boston some credit for how friggin good they are? The leafs have outplayed boston the last two games and Rask stole the game last night. 

The Leafs defense which we knew was bad...has been exposed....big surprise there? Take the experience...learn, improve the back end...I wont be surprised if nylander plus another piece get traded for a D man this off season at all.

Also Mitch Marner has turned into the leafs best playmaker and could become one of the best in the league...remember how much he struggled at the beginning of the season...hes looked great this series...

You have no defense and your goalie has only had one good game in 4 tries.

That is why your laffs won't win.

Oh.....and your superstars have disappeared. .......

49 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

pardon?

Doesnt matter what they've done previously cause the season isnt  82 games long. And they'll be going on vacation soon enough. 

1 hour ago, muskymatt said:

Now that's laughable. .......I've been hard on the Sens all season long. Almost from out of the gate I've said they sucked. And I was hoping for last place  

Sheese.........you can't even banter accurately. .......lol

Out of the gate would be October.  You were still talking about them winning the cup well into November.

This whole rebuild excuse seems pretty lame when you look at where  Vegas placed in their division/conference and the success they have had so far in the playoffs. I really hope they go all the way and hoist the cup at the end.

15 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

Out of the gate would be October.  You were still talking about them winning the cup well into November.

Cmon JB  Stop it! You know how much it costs to add padding to those walls?

I think Don Cherry summed it up pretty good, when you have a  2 on 1 the dman is supposed to stop the puck from being passed to the non puck carrier and let the goalie handle the shooter, on 2 of the goals last night the dman didn't do his job. 

6 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

That's yours and Matt's problem; not mine.   B)

No skin in the game JB. If their vust fortifying the padded room there wont be any dough left.to buy what they really need.

I have to hand it to Boston for shutting things down after their second goal. Leafs needed to get that go ahead goal at that time.  Their game changed after going down one at the end of the second period and Boston did their job. I believe they are still in their rebuild, are young, even with breaking Leaf records. Defense remains their nemesis.

2 hours ago, mikeh said:

I think Don Cherry summed it up pretty good, when you have a  2 on 1 the dman is supposed to stop the puck from being passed to the non puck carrier and let the goalie handle the shooter, on 2 of the goals last night the dman didn't do his job. 

They broke this down on leafs lunch. With one quick dumb lunge, Zeitzev turned what would have been a low probability chance of a goal into a tap in for Marchant. 

Its been the hig big difference in the series. Boston has capitalized on the leafs mistakes. 

18 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

They broke this down on leafs lunch. With one quick dumb lunge, Zeitzev turned what would have been a low probability chance of a goal into a tap in for Marchant.  Its been the hig big difference in the series. Boston has capitalized on the leafs mistakes. 

This crap is literally Peewee Hockey. I learned you take the pass in 2 on 1's when i first started playing hockey...why the hell two NHLers cant execute on this is beyond me.

1 hour ago, jimmer said:

I have to hand it to Boston for shutting things down after their second goal. Leafs needed to get that go ahead goal at that time.  Their game changed after going down one at the end of the second period and Boston did their job. I believe they are still in their rebuild, are young, even with breaking Leaf records. Defense remains their nemesis.

Defence and grit. Defence is the glaring weakness but they stopped hitting while Boston kept it up until they swung it in their favour. Game, set and the next  60 minutes should be Match. 

10 minutes ago, moxie said:

Defence and grit. Defence is the glaring weakness but they stopped hitting while Boston kept it up until they swung it in their favour. Game, set and the next  60 minutes should be Match. 

It's looking like that.

What I find with the D is, they watch the puck. Why they run into each other. Old school is to watch the player, not the puck. I know once I learned that, that player was hitting the boards or the ice, other D guy was picking up the puck. The D chase.  Probly why they are running into each other. Yes repeated myself. Wrong move. Stick the man. Leafs need to find some big D guys that play the body, not the puck.

Want the home team to bring it, but I think Boston is to much right now.  

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, misfish said:

What I find with the D is, they watch the puck. Why they run into each other. Old school is to watch the player, not the puck. I know once I learned that, that player was hitting the boards or the ice, other D guy was picking up the puck. The D chase.  Probly why they are running into each other. Yes repeated myself. Wrong move. Stick the man. Leafs need to find some big D guys that play the body, not the puck.

Want the home team to bring it, but I think Boston is to much right now.  

I wonder if the Jets would give us Byfuglien?   :lol:

Having a body in front of him as big as he is, blocking and deflecting shots is almost like having a second goalie on your team. K Miller, McQuade, these guys play defense, and defense wins championships. In comparison, it's not even close. The top forward units, far too inexperienced. Nylander, invisible, one dimensional. 

I've been telling everyone, this team is still at least two years away from being a real contender, that is, with a little luck and if management plays it's cards right.

12 hours ago, dave524 said:

This whole rebuild excuse seems pretty lame when you look at where  Vegas placed in their division/conference and the success they have had so far in the playoffs. I really hope they go all the way and hoist the cup at the end.

Apples and oranges...

You pick Fleury as your goalie? james Neal, Eric Haula, Cody eakin, William karlsson, Jonathan Marchessault, Tomas Tatar, rielly smith, Nate Schmidt

And a bunch of other NHL regulars who have been drafted AND developed by other teams exclusively... Vegas was.given a golden bridle and just got lucky their picks all gelled 

It's probably the last game of the season, why not play Matthews and Marner together, at least to start the game. That line might spark and score 5.

Never gonna happen, Babcock is too proud and stubborn. You've got 1 more season to do something in my books Babs.

6 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

It's probably the last game of the season, why not play Matthews and Marner together, at least to start the game. That line might spark and score 5.

Never gonna happen, Babcock is too proud and stubborn. You've got 1 more season to do something in my books Babs.

He,s been given the tools, not sure he knows how to use them. :dunno: