2019-2020 Hockey Thread

24 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Do you know what the hardest part of being a Leaf fan is? It's listening to the loads of Bull that get spewed out of the arm chair "experts" that are nothing more than haters. If the Leafs win, they got lucky....if they lose, it's because they suck worse than any team in the history of time. Why don't you save your expert opinions for your own teams? Where are all the mouthy Habs fans from previous years?? And chirping the Leafs when Ottawa had a massively embarrassing season?? Lol Come on! Boston has a great squad this year, in fact they're bonifide contenders. They Leafs are a bunch of very young but talented 20 year olds that are in year 2 of a rebuild. Beating Boston would be a big deal and not many people would have actually put money down on it. I'm thrilled by what they accomplished in the regular season and if they squeak out a win or two against Boston I'll be happy. If not, the guys upstairs have a birds eye view of what to fix first. 

So thanks for all the great advice from the ambiguously opinionated "hockey" fans. But if you don't have the stones to openly discuss your team, don't feel the need to contribute your babble about the Leafs. 

Go Leafs Go....every game, every year...no switching teams like little kids that need to feel validated. 

So you're saying you want me to stop??

Ummmmmmmm...........nope!

Sorry

:lol:

27 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Do you know what the hardest part of being a Leaf fan is? It's listening to the loads of Bull that get spewed out of the arm chair "experts" that are nothing more than haters. If the Leafs win, they got lucky....if they lose, it's because they suck worse than any team in the history of time. Why don't you save your expert opinions for your own teams? Where are all the mouthy Habs fans from previous years?? And chirping the Leafs when Ottawa had a massively embarrassing season?? Lol Come on! Boston has a great squad this year, in fact they're bonifide contenders. They Leafs are a bunch of very young but talented 20 year olds that are in year 2 of a rebuild. Beating Boston would be a big deal and not many people would have actually put money down on it. I'm thrilled by what they accomplished in the regular season and if they squeak out a win or two against Boston I'll be happy. If not, the guys upstairs have a birds eye view of what to fix first. 

So thanks for all the great advice from the ambiguously opinionated "hockey" fans. But if you don't have the stones to openly discuss your team, don't feel the need to contribute your babble about the Leafs. 

Go Leafs Go....every game, every year...no switching teams like little kids that need to feel validated. 

What the NHL should do is allow only the top 2 teams in every division to make the post season. This 50 percent success rate is watered down rediculous.

25 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

UH, isn't this year 2 of the 5 year plan? :rolleyes:

As I've been saying all along, the team was built wrong.

Too much stock was put in drafting and getting forwards and now your defense and goaltending is lacking.

From the time a team feels it has what it takes to make a serious push, you have a very short window to do it in before salaries, the salary cap and UFA eligibility come knock at your door.

The only way to get quality defense and goaltending is to either develop or trade for it. Being that the laffs need it NOW, you would need to trade for it which means giving up assets and freeing up salary space.

It's a vicious circle when you lose key ingredients to get key ingredients.........if you get it right then all is good. One wrong move and the ceiling falls in on you. Look at Ottawa and Methot, losing him was a disaster that reverberated through the whole team and our year was a disaster.

If by chance the laffs can muster up the heart and soul to compete with the Bruins they might recover a bit....personally I don't see that happening. 

They looks beaten and bruised last night.

3 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Defense lacking ......yes , but i disagree on the goaltending being lacking, until last night Andersen has been a rock in goal. Without him in goal they wouldn't have had the season they had in the standings.

He sure has been a rock in this series.....when you choke when it actually counts for something nothing else matters

19 minutes ago, manitoubass2 said:

I agree. The amount of teams that make it is insane.

But I don't agree on the divisions. Screw divisions. Only allow the top teams overall into the playoffs

Then you'll end up with what baseball had until they added the wildcards. Empty ball parks. Although with the tolerance for pain, despair and disappointment leaf fans display year after year and still fill the coffers , the owners need not worry.

22 minutes ago, manitoubass2 said:

Well that's true. But why shouldn't all the top teams make it?  

Eliminate divisions and adjust the schedule so everyone plays equally

Maybe top 4-6 teams teams Max?  And that point that rewards  overtime losers , Be done with it. 

Boston seems to be on cruise control. They have set plays that seem to work and work well. I did not see a bit of  PLAYOFF grit come from the leafs. It was like they were playing regular season. Can they make it a series? Only they can answer that. They need to take a page from Bostons game. Shot the puck from anywhere. Seems to be working for them. 

54 minutes ago, moxie said:

Maybe top 4-6 teams teams Max?  And that point that rewards  overtime losers , Be done with it. 

Top 15 imo and get rid of overtime points all together. No reward for losing in OT

First place gets a buy and doesn't play the first round

Edited by manitoubass2

I find the lack of compete the most frustrating.  They're young but a lack of grit is obvious and inexcusable.

I also find Babcocks loyalty to some of the lower skilled players very annoying.  JVR, Marner, Matthews and Marleau must be shaking their heads behind closed doors when they see Komarov on the power play! Komarov has a role but that ain't it!

Babcocks lack of bench management hasn't helped in the two games. 

All you distraught leaf only fans take a look at the Flyers/Pens game on now. Phillly wasnt even discussed in the same conversation with the likes of Crosby and co but they didnt wait to get home to  put the Pens on notice. They pushed right back in game 2 and are imposing their will at the moment in game 3. Leafs aint built to push back. Yet.

5 hours ago, muskymatt said:

As I've been saying all along, the team was built wrong.

You also said Ottawa was a good team...looks like you know $#it too. haha At least you'll post the team you cheer for, even if it is the sad-sack Suckators. BTW, do you think they genuinely think they sucked that bad or do you think they weaseled out and took the dive for a better pick?

2 hours ago, moxie said:

All you distraught leaf only fans take a look at the Flyers/Pens game on now. Phillly wasnt even discussed in the same conversation with the likes of Crosby and co but they didnt wait to get home to  put the Pens on notice. They pushed right back in game 2 and are imposing their will at the moment in game 3. Leafs aint built to push back. Yet.

Oh gee why didn't Leaf Nation think of that??!! The Leafs needed to push back in game 2!! Wow! Thank you Captain Obvious!! Watching every playoff game has really paid off! LOL :rofl2:

46 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

You also said Ottawa was a good team...looks like you know $#it too. haha At least you'll post the team you cheer for, even if it is the sad-sack Suckators. BTW, do you think they genuinely think they sucked that bad or do you think they weaseled out and took the dive for a better pick?

FYI I have 30 favorite teams, none are the laffs.......do you need a hug???

Hug coming your way bro!!

^_^

Edited by muskymatt
Punctuation

7 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

I don’t mind if the leafs lose the series to Boston. Heck, i woyldn’t have even minded before the series if they lost in 4 if all the games were close and hard fought. The problem is it looks like Boston is playing a peewee team. Toronto has has no fight and hasn’t played like they did in the regular season at all. I’m hoping home ice and last change gives them a push. If game 3 goes like the last 2, there will be a lot of people to answer to. 

35 minutes ago, muskymatt said:

FYI I have 30 favorite teams, none are the laffs.......do you need a hug???

Hug coming your way bro!!

^_^

Nope, I'm good. I'm frustrated but still proud of their accomplishments in 2017/18. It could have been worse...they could have come out bragging how great they were because they got an easy ride in the 2016/17 playoffs and then completely embarrassed themselves being exposed for the crappy team they truly were. Sound familiar Suckator fan?? LOL :clapping:

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

Oh gee why didn't Leaf Nation think of that??!! The Leafs needed to push back in game 2!! Wow! Thank you Captain Obvious!! Watching every playoff game has really paid off! LOL :rofl2:

You are welcome .Just trying to help out. 

By the way, I would advise you and other like minded fans over the age of 1o to refrain from uttering "leaf nation" . Just say over in your head a few times and you will understand what I mean. Good luck.

Edited by moxie
Spelling sucks

2 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Nope, I'm good. I'm frustrated but still proud of their accomplishments in 2017/18. It could have been worse...they could have come out bragging how great they were because they got an easy ride in the 2016/17 playoffs and then completely embarrassed themselves being exposed for the crappy team they truly were. Sound familiar Suckator fan?? LOL :clapping:

The leafs didn’t trade their first round pick for Duchene who ended up ruining the teams season. Gee, I wonder what that must feel like? We still have a ton of young prospects in the system too! 

2 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Nope, you guys hold the record for the greatest collapse of any sports team ever and I'm ok with that. lol

25 minutes ago, muskymatt said:

Nope, you guys hold the record for the greatest collapse of any sports team ever and I'm ok with that. lol

My Dad can beat up your Dad! geesh, Matt, are you in grade 7 and use your Dad's pictures??? lmao nah nah nah nah nah!! LOL

12 minutes ago, jerpears1 said:

The leafs didn’t trade their first round pick for Duchene who ended up ruining the teams season. Gee, I wonder what that must feel like? We still have a ton of young prospects in the system too! 

Although all teams make them just look in the area of Bostons net and you'll see the ultimate blunder. Ruin a season no but ruin a decade , YES.