2019-2020 Hockey Thread

I always liked Domi's game when I watched Hockey regularly. What he did to Samuelsson was uncalled for then and totally out of character for him. He was a Pit Bull on skates and feared no one, he would have gotten into the ring with Mike Tyson if he knew it would help his team mates. He still looks like he could go a few rounds. I just felt it was out of Big Dave's character to say what he said. Now there is a guy (Big Dave) that I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley.

11 hours ago, chris.brock said:

You live by the sword you die by the sword.

Unfortunately sometimes violence is necessary to keep guys inline.

Ulf Samuelsson was one of the dirtiest players to play the game. For us guys who watched Ulf for years, we see this video differently than someone who doesn't watch hockey and just sees 2 hockey players and a sucker punch.

LOL I remember that!!! 

"HIT ME DOMI HIT, ME!!!" 

Good night sweet prince!!!!  :lol:

15 minutes ago, scuro2 said:

I can picture Matthew's and Nylander's ceiling but Marner's potential still seems wide open. If he works on shooting he could be top 10 point wise in the NHL.

I disagree. All 3 have vast room to grow and as that experience comes so does confidence. 

These 3 should be a long term force to be reckoned with IMO

Mathews is already light years ahead of what I thought he'd be. He's a top 5 forward in the league already.

Nylander is a friggen pure talent.

And marner is now dubbed magic mitts

Nylander - pure talent, potential to put up big numbers
Matthews - top 10 centermen, should be an ongoing top ten scorer
Marner - combo of speed, vision, and possibly shot that could make him generational. He is the rawest of the three yet he is driving offense for his line as an undersized player. He doesn't have a Matthews or Nylander on his line so his job is tougher. He got to the same point total as Nylander so far playing mostly 3rd and 4th line for most of the year so far.

Edited by scuro2

35 minutes ago, scuro2 said:

Marner - combo of speed, vision, and possibly shot that could make him generational. He is the rawest of the three yet he is driving offense for his line as an undersized player. He doesn't have a Matthews or Nylander on his line so his job is tougher. He got to the same point total as Nylander so far playing mostly 3rd and 4th line for most of the year so far.

Not much Id disagree with here other than Mathews. 

He's much more than a top ten center, and will be for along time. He can dominate when he wills it. And I think we'll see that increase alot in the future. He's a bigger body and he controls the puck and corners almost like lemeuix or jagr(he's not THAT good) but you see glimpses of that same puck control

35 minutes ago, scuro2 said:

Not much Id disagree with here other than Mathews. 

He's much more than a top ten center, and will be for along time. He can dominate when he wills it. And I think we'll see that increase alot in the future. He's a bigger body and he controls the puck and corners almost like lemeuix or jagr(he's not THAT good) but you see glimpses of that same puck control

With Matthews he can strip the puck and he can do the puck on a string thing and make other players look stupid...incredible skills but he does this without breaking an egg in the carton in the corners (reference to don cherry). His skills will take him a long way but it's like he is too smart, I don't see any engagement in the physical part of the game which say Crosby has. The real animal hunger hasn't shown yet and may never show. 

Marner would skate through a brick wall, or fight Chara. There is a drive to this guy that Matthews can't touch. Did you see that one interview, he was nearly in tears about going to the 4th line. He is so young still yet fully invested. That back check in the playoffs on the breakaway...that is Marner .

sure is nice to see Marner shoot higher on the goalie, 90 % of his shots are along the ice, a few of the Leafs forwards need to take Marner's lead and shoot higher on the goalie while in the slot and in close.

the two players I like watching are Dermott and Kapanen, when Dermott gets in trouble he is able to recover quickly  because of his quickness, that's not something you can teach,Dermott just has to be careful because players are taking runs at him and keep his head up,  and Kapanen because of his speed it almost seems like players are standing still because he is moving that fast. Hopefully Kapanen keeps getting better , and develops his offensive skills.   

I see Matthews as mature way beyond his years. I like how he totally avoids the pushing and shoving after the whistle since he's not a tough guy and just seems focused on an even keel. I don't think he's going to improve much more though, he'll be a solid 2 way player with 30 to 40 goals each year, nothing wrong with that.

30 minutes ago, chris.brock said:

I see Matthews as mature way beyond his years. I like how he totally avoids the pushing and shoving after the whistle since he's not a tough guy and just seems focused on an even keel. I don't think he's going to improve much more though, he'll be a solid 2 way player with 30 to 40 goals each year, nothing wrong with that.

I don't think it's beyond him to pass 40. He did it in his rookie season... There's so many more lessons to learn in playing individuals as you stay in the league for longer, I think he'll be able to hit 50 in the next 2 years.

9 hours ago, leaf4 said:

I don't think it's beyond him to pass 40. He did it in his rookie season... There's so many more lessons to learn in playing individuals as you stay in the league for longer, I think he'll be able to hit 50 in the next 2 years.

It has a lot to do with what the guys upstairs do as well. The better the players are around him, the more points he'll rack up. Right now he's playing very defensively( thank God) and still scoring. Imagine if he could push more often knowing there were actually defensemen back there? Also, the other young forwards around him will be getting better over time. I could see him hitting 50 but that's just one aspect of a great player. Crosby has had one 50 goal season in 13 years but he puts up big points. If Matthews can get his line mates goals that's even better.