Back trolling plug

duke01

I've got some of those, but when I worry about losing one I usually do. Why do they stop producing proven lures ?

Both are still available today.

A designer from Flatfish went off on his own and developed the Kwikfish.

Basically all he did was eliminate the tandem trebles and wire spreader.

Even the color selections and sizes were the same.

luhr jensen bought out Kwikfish.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/31304/luhr-jensen-kwikfish-lure

Helin's Flatfish was a poor design.

Only the larger sizes would cast.

The tandem hooks would foul in your line 9 times out of 10 during a cast.

Basically a trolling lure.

Worden's bought out Charlie Helin.

Now yakima bait has bought out Worden's..

Yakima claims they are the original Helin Flatfish.

Although, it seems someone along the line, eliminated the tandem setup on certain models..

http://www.yakimabait.com/products/flatfish/

Hope this helps.

Edited by Roe Bag

They are more of a deep water lure (and sinks), whereas the FF tends to run shallow.

For sure, the Canadian Wiggler runs 12 foot plus while the Flatfish does run shallower, but I've caught way more pickeral off the wiggler than a flatfish/quikfish, including a bunch of Erie fish off down riggers on the 5 of diamonds, firetiger and green/ chartreuse half and half.

because people keep the lures and don't use them,that makes the company think they are not a good seller.

Of all the colours of Kwikfish that had to be discontinued, they had to discontinue the most popular and best selling ones: Skunk, pearl, coachdog to name a few :(

Brian, skunk is hard to beat anywhere but this one has caught me tons of fish on your home river (also discontinued :( )

3J7A6926a_zps9f6d8bbc.jpg

Mike, do you run some sort of slip rig with them? I'm assume they float no?

Bill, If I'm casting, I crimp a few split shots about 18 inches up the line for the k5-k8 kwikies.

With the K9 and bigger they seem to run deeper on their own without additional weight but casting them can still be difficult due to wind resistance.

If I'm float fishing, I bulk shot below the float. I never go above a k5 for float fishing - I find anything bigger tends to be a little too water resistant unless you run massive slip floats.

Most guys I know fishing out of boats prefer to 3-way rig them and back them down.

A Kwikfish out of the box will float. I normally change the factory hooks to a size bigger and sharper - This usually causes them to sink to the bottom nose down, tail up. The factory hooks on the vintage lures suck.