did I hear correct that Le Baron's is closing?!?!?

GBW

I couldn't care less. I avoid all the big box stores, especially fishing ones, as much as possible. They put my neighbours and friends out of business. They take the profits out of the country. And they don't know where this fish are biting, They don't have service, they don't know who I am, but they want my phone number and postal code so they can send me sales info on stuff I have no interest in.

Give me Angling Outfitters, Grimsby Tackle, Natural Sports and the like any day.

Sy Ya Na Ra.

Just my $0.02

Sad day. Been shopping there far a very long time. One less store to hang around in on those non fishing days. The clear out started yesterday. Only found out about it from a tackle rep. There wasn't a big crowd because no one knew. 20% off everything in store, 50% on selected clothing and footwear. Still lots of tackle left but some of the more popular colour selections are gone. Cleos and Moonshine spoons down to a few. There will be continual markdown until everything is gone but selections will be limited. Feel bad for the staff. They were caught off guard like everyone else.

I'll miss them even though I didn't go there more them a few times a year. One less option for us is not better even if you never shopped there. Back when the Sportsman show was a bigger deal a stop at the Le Baron area was a must for me. Pre-internet the catalog was a staple. I always wished for them to upgrade their website...

That catalogue of theirs (and to a lesser degree Cabelas) was pretty well the only fishing shopping I did for 10 years at each tax return. Still shop at the store in Ottawa more than anywhere as, their prices are almost always better. Agree with ya too Raf, the terminal tackle, line and even most lures really, were cheaper to buy there. Down the road from me 25 minutes now is the new Cabelas here in Ottawa. Le Barons is about 40-45 minutes if traffic is good, SAIL maybe 50 minutes but that's crossing the city only outside of rush hours. For the Ottawa crowd, Le Baron's was the bigger store closest to west end and SAIL in the east once it opened. The fishing/hunting crowd in the west end and Ottawa valley, now that Cabelas has opened, likely won't waste the extra 1/2+ hour time and gas just to save a buck or two on small things.., Surely over the years in Toronto they've suffered too with BPS, Cabelas and SAIL all opening. Same kinda thing in Montreal.

Like the store, service has been good and bad over the years but with me, the fellas have always been friendly there. Sucks they're "restructuring" to probably closed doors.

Fishing tackle I always bought locally, but for some reloading components I'd make the trip if I couldn't find what I needed at the local gun shows or the few remaining gun shops. I did buy a bunch of salmon stuff when the "Outdoors Stores " closed shop in the early 80's. Collegiate Sports bought them out and promptly liquidated the firearms, got me a nice 06 Ruger 77 for real cheap.

Edited by dave524

Ottawa store had going out of business signs all over the store front Saturday morning. The bomb was dropped on them Wednesday and the staff were clearly in shock. 20% off fishing and 50% off everything else. Sad, I liked the business, especially that it is 300 meters from my house lol.

Not a huge savings on fishing stuff but that may change. I went to Cabelas on their opening day and thought to myself if LB's would feel the impact and it was literally the next day the announcement was out. I wasn't impressed with Cabelas, prices were high and again an American big box invades Canada.

I will be sad to see them go

they were the go to store when they were at Newtonbrook Plaza in Thornhill,

then moved to Woodbine and service became bad, but good price

the last year or so I thought they started putting customer service first

I remember them at Newtonbrook plaza but the one at Yonge & Cummer not Thornhill but North York, currently a Play it Again Sports.

I bought my first Stradic at the old Yonge street store. My gramps also bought me my first rifle there when I was 16 and had just got my first FAC, it was a ruger 10/22. I'll miss them, even though the service was often awful and they were regularly out of stock on things. I won't miss the bald manager though. That guy doesn't rate a job washing dish, much less managing a retail outlet.

It's unfortunate that some people need to gloat at the loss of another. There were some good people who worked there and can't imagine their disbelief that the establishment has a ticking timeline.

A few bad eggs didn't deserve the entire store closing. That might just mean less choices for consumers. How will a mom & pop store compete with the big box stores?

I hope some of the employees can pool together and buy out a location as a Lebarons ver 2.0.