Question for Simms owners

BowSlayer101

Hey guys, have been buying neoprene waders every year and they leak after a few trips I find, getting really annoying at this point and with the water getting colder its getting pretty annoying to say at the least! Considering getting the simms g3 waders, just a question for anybody that owns these, are they worth the money? Also where is the best place to purchase them, I find everywhere they are around $650, sail has 15% off so basically just saving tax, was told this is pretty much the best deal I will get for these waders, is this true or should I wait a little? Any suggestions appreciated!

I don't think you need g3 waders. Freestone are about half the price. Dry them out after every trip. In two seasons grab another set. Keep the old ones as back ups. Breathable waders are very easy to repair. Unless it's the boot foot. The neoprene booties and seams on simms waders are very durable.

Simms not only has great gear, but the best customer service I've ever encountered. I purchased their Guide's Jacket around 10 years ago...at the time it was around $400. It was awesome...always kept me dry. After about 5 years the zipper began catching the material and it became harder to unzip. I put up with it for another year but then my aggressiveness in trying to get it unzipped started to tear out the teeth in the zipper. I emailed Simms and asked if there was an easy fix, as the coat was still in good shape. They asked me to send it in. within 10 days, I received a brand new jacket (about a $500 item at the time). No questions asked on their part...no proof of purchase etc. Heck, I could have picked it up at a garage sale. I also have had their lightweight stocking foot waders for at least 6 years. No leaks, and i have a cabin near Michigan's Au Sable River and fish quite a bit. Finally, I tie flies for one of the best fly shops in the Midwest and know the owner quite well. He will readily tell you that Simms waders, while not cheap, are the best in the business and well worth the money.

Go for it.

I'm still wearing G3 originally bought in 2004! They've been back to Simms for replacement of the feet a couple of times and repaired for leaks a few times as well, but they are still in use in the summer. I bought a new pair for the cold weather fishing a few years ago, and they were returned after a year to be checked out for pinhole leaks,(2), and foot replacement. All that is free, the first year. you only pay for the shipping to them. For my money, Simms are worth the extra dollars initially. The warranty that Patagonia offers is excellent as well if you are able to get a size that fits you right. Proper fit is very important to how the waders perform. Too long, or too short causes material fatigue quickly.

I think in Canada Sail is likely the best pricing you will find especially this time of year.

Edited by floatman55

I have a pair of cheapy Simms waders, they've been pretty good for a couple seasons so far. They where $150 on sale and apparently Simms will replace them one time, then your on your own. I've owned a ton of waders over the years and no way I'd lay out $650 on any set of waders. They all fail. I also know a couple guys who've spent the big dollars and had Simms offer repair only as well so full replacement isn't a guarantee. I believe in buying quality and often spend a fair bit on good gear, but in my mind Simms has entered the realm of ridiculous with some of their pricing.

I've had my G3 for 5 years as a second owner. I've sent them in once to have pinhole leaks and gravel guard repaired. Great service and worth the money. Def try and find a pair of good condition 2nd hand G3s.

Nothing is bullet proof and as such, regular maintenance and care would be mandatory to extend the life of the product.

I've heard good things from Streamside, Orvis, and Patagonia waders. Worth checking out to get an idea of what you're getting, especially if you're paying full retail price. Certainly, one of the best investments to make when you're fishing the rivers.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

Waders are no different than anything else. You really do get what you pay for.

I've been wearing Simms for years, and never had any issues with them whatsoever. I agree they cost a fortune, but you can't put a price on having dry, warm feet when you're standing in ice water for hours at a time. Given how long they last, my next pair will also be Simms.

Simms all the way. Worth every penny and then some. I wore simms for 3 years as a commercial baitfish harvestor and everyone else wore crap 100 dollar pairs. They would replace theres 4 times a season while mine lasted season after season plus another 4 or 5 years of hardcore steelheading. Ive had buddies buy frogtogs and whiteriver or other cheaoer brand's and within a year or so they all had leaks in them

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Ended up purchasing the g3's from sail after all. Checked kijiji but the few on there wanted over $500, id rather spend the extra $100 and get new. I did find somebody selling g4z waders for $550 on kijiji but they have had leaks patched already and have a little leak that causes a damp spot by the words of the seller, didnt want to take the chance. Also purchased a new float rod, raven rv9 lol good price and it was the last one in stock. Now the search for boots starts haha, gonna wait for a sale for those, cheapies will have to do for now.

i got mine second hand for $100. Totally lucked out. they are going on close to 10 years and i still use them. The previous owner must have had them for a couple of years at least. Apparently he was sponsored by Simms and replaced them frequently. over time there were some pin hole leaks which i fixed myself. Great waders.

Also give my two thumbs up on the g4 jacket as well the guide boots.