British carp kerfluffle

John Bacon

I wonder if there was a way they can test the fish to determine whether or not it was born and raised in British waters.

Since the Angler who caught the fish has a sponsor, there is probably more scrutiny on the catch and it's legitimacy as a British record. Unfortunately, it looks like the Angler will never truly be able to enjoy his accomplishment due to the circus surrounding it now.

Edited by Mike Pike

I think they can tell from the DNA; unless the fish was released without taking a sample.

But, is there actually a regulation that national record fish have to have spent their entire life in the country? I am not sure that anyone would have even considered the possibility of imported fish when setting up a record fish registry.

When it comes to British carp records, history has shown us that the record fish have been caught at least a few times (normally several dozen times in the past) over many years. At some point in the last few years, that fish would've been caught at a weight a few pounds (if not a few ounces) lighter than it is now. If anyone is interested, you can search google for "Two-Tone" the British record carp and see how many times that fish was caught and how many times the record was broken by a few ounces. British climate and the smaller sizes of the lakes are not really conducive to producing a lot of bigger fish. IMO, you have a better chance at winning the lottery than catching a record fish in Britain that had never been caught before. All British record fish have been caught before - They all have names and the anglers are trying to get them a few ounces heavier than the last time.

I personally think most European carp records are a joke. For the most part, the fish are stocked and fed huge amounts of highly nutritious artificial foods like boilies and pellets throughout the year. It's exactly the same as catching a record trout from a stocked trout pond. There's nothing natural about it.

Good points MJL. If that fish had just shown up on the bank with that weight for the first time, it was probably recently planted there. However, I think it was a 'known' fish that anglers had been targeting, but there are too few details unfortunately.

As far as European carp records go, it's what they have in Britain as that's the type of fishing that's evolved there. They don't have public access to rivers nor do they have the abundance or size of lakes that we take for granted here in Canada. They fish primarily in former gravel pits, if they have have a membership or have purchased a ticket to fish the day. Some of these waters have a very low stock of fish and catching the 'proper ones' involves a lot of dedication and determination. Unlike our pro fisherman who tackle fame and fortune in their $$$$ bass boats, the swankiest piece of equipment a British carp angler may have would be his wheelbarrow to haul his gear around the lake. lol

Unmarried British man's wife threatened with death after an alleged immigrant carp from France is passed off as new British record... Do fishermen need to start checking the status of any record fish they catch?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/fisherman-receives-death-threats-fellow-110239548.html

I'm still working on "Unmarried British Man's Wife"... :blush: