Clean lead ingots

landry

You could try checking places like Bell Canada's repair facilities or other companies that have taken over the repairs of underground communication lines for bell. Not sure if they'll sell to the public?

The old underground copper wiring, is/was encased in 6,8 or 10" lead tubes; when they need to repair a section or replace a run, the lead is pulled out and taken back to the repair depot for disposal.

A buddy of mine that has just retired from Bell, used to get me 3-4' lengths of this lead; I would give it too another friend who made all kinds of jigs and sinkers with.

Another source is your local garages and their old wheel weights. Melt it down, skim off the impurities and make your own clean lead for pouring your molds.

Dan.

Thanks guys.

Have any of u poured with battery lead. Is it too hard it okay??? I am using a Lee Pot IV to pour with.

Another guy asked that same question on another site I'm on,everyone said stay away from the lead out of batteries,I guess there are toxic fumes from the acid .

Another guy asked that same question on another site I'm on,everyone said stay away from the lead out of batteries,I guess there are toxic fumes from the acid .

Melting any form of lead is toxic.

There are lead particles in the fumes coming off the lead, during the melting and pouring. There are a lot of percussion that should be taken, when working with lead; but a minimum of a respirator should be used at all times while its in liquid form.

Here's just one link of many, from a google search "fumes from melting lead".

http://www.mrc.ac.za/environmenthealth/melting.pdf

Dan.

I made a bunch of ingots from wheel weights, what I heard about car batteries is the amount of oxidized lead on the plates is much higher than other sources, and that would result in a large amount of slag that gets skimmed off. That plus the whole battery acid thing makes them a crappy source for lead.