Head Lake Walleyes?

Locnar

Hey fellas, headin up to Head Lake this Saturday with my buddy. Wondering what sort of structure or water depths I should be checking out for walleye this time of year. River mouths? Drop offs? The Head river looks interesting as well... My buddy's never caught one, and I'm not much a walleye angler... more into bass, pike and whatever wants to take my lure. Mostly any walleye I get are accidental catches. Any tips you wish to share with me would be much appreciated, and hopefully my buddy can land himself a wally. I'll post some pics, if we can manage to hook into any.

Was just talking the other night to a couple friends that have trailers up there-the one by Norlund.Apparently the dam has blown out or is damaged in some fashion and the water levels there are bad bad bad low and the Ministry is apparently not going to do anything about it.The launch along side 45 is almost unusable unless you can walk a boat in.The launch off of Saunders rd? I think it is a very sharp drop in but there is water there for trailers.

So knowing Head Lake to be full off shoals if you get out there drive slowly and have an extra pair of eyes off the front. Spinner rigs tipped with a white twister tail and piece of worm seem to be the ticket usually.Always a good chance of getting a musky on the same too.

Kerry

Was just talking the other night to a couple friends that have trailers up there-the one by Norlund.Apparently the dam has blown out or is damaged in some fashion and the water levels there are bad bad bad low and the Ministry is apparently not going to do anything about it.The launch along side 45 is almost unusable unless you can walk a boat in.The launch off of Saunders rd? I think it is a very sharp drop in but there is water there for trailers.

So knowing Head Lake to be full off shoals if you get out there drive slowly and have an extra pair of eyes off the front. Spinner rigs tipped with a white twister tail and piece of worm seem to be the ticket usually.Always a good chance of getting a musky on the same too.

Kerry

Hey kerry. Yes they are. I only know this, as my buddy has been there for many years, and is in contact with the MNR regularly about this. They are proposing to build a dam by the road so they can access it. Between Rush and Head creek. This year has been the worse they have seen in 30 years. Low water, lots of heat and choking with weeds. Worse fishing they have had as well.The oringinal dam, many feel someone or group, distroyed it. He has scooped up dead bass and 2 musky so far from his water front. Sad.

Hmm that is sad to hear about the dam and the worsening condition of the lake itself. Did the dam restrict the water flowing into Rush Lake? And if so, does that mean Rush Lake has unusually high water levels?

With this news, we may opt for a different lake instead. But any generic tips for walleye are always welcomed. Will try to do some research into which lake to try out.

Its bad buds. My parents have a cottage on there and the walleye populations have been stedily decreasing year after year. they can't compete with the bass, and a few years ago the shallow water and warm temperatures caused a massive die off.

The Dam being destroyed (by pissed off cottagers who want a bigger beach) has been the nail in the coffin. Sad to say, but I use the cottage as basecamp but rarely ever fish the lake anymore. Its unfortunte, the fishing there used to be primo 10-20 years ago.

Its bad buds. My parents have a cottage on there and the walleye populations have been stedily decreasing year after year. they can't compete with the bass, and a few years ago the shallow water and warm temperatures caused a massive die off.

The Dam being destroyed (by pissed off cottagers who want a bigger beach) has been the nail in the coffin. Sad to say, but I use the cottage as basecamp but rarely ever fish the lake anymore. Its unfortunte, the fishing there used to be primo 10-20 years ago.

Hey bud,where ya been?

My buddy had to add 50 ft of dock. He is pissed, thats an understatment.

Hope my pm helpped you try else where Locnar. You wont miss head, trust me.

Hey bud,where ya been?

My buddy had to add 50 ft of dock. He is pissed, thats an understatment.

Hope my pm helpped you try else where Locnar. You wont miss head, trust me.

Got distracted over the summer with work and women. Only got out a few times sadly.

Did a bit of coral reef restoration in Thailand for a few weeks too.

In serious need of detox in the form of fall and winter fishing though.

As someone who worked the broad scale program back a few years ago I can tell you I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt. The gill nets used typically have much more success catching walleye then Bass or Esox species. For bass, they are too laterally compressed and have difficulty getting their heads stuck in the traps. They typically hit the net and bounce off.

Where typically Esox, specifically Muskie, are like a torpedo, and hit the net but just power through. A lot of the Nets used for this information are used by commercial fishermen because they have a tendency to catch the most walleye and yellow perch while reducing the number of fish caught that they can't sell.

The fact that the information has percentages rather then numbers too makes it a little suspect. 2 fish out of 4 is still 50%. Same as 200 out of 400.

I honestly don't know why they don't switch over to NSCIN for this project (nearshore non-fatal nets)

As someone who worked the broad scale program back a few years ago I can tell you I'd take those numbers with a grain of salt. The gill nets used typically have much more success catching walleye then Bass or Esox species. For bass, they are too laterally compressed and have difficulty getting their heads stuck in the traps. They typically hit the net and bounce off.

Where typically Esox, specifically Muskie, are like a torpedo, and hit the net but just power through. A lot of the Nets used for this information are used by commercial fishermen because they have a tendency to catch the most walleye and yellow perch while reducing the number of fish caught that they can't sell.

The fact that the information has percentages rather then numbers too makes it a little suspect. 2 fish out of 4 is still 50%. Same as 200 out of 400.

I honestly don't know why they don't switch over to NSCIN for this project (nearshore non-fatal nets)

TY for the reply Jer. The numbers posted, kinda blew me away.

I would also think that a gill net would be skewed towards fish that are more likely found in open water. I doubt that they drag their gill nets through lilly pads or around stumps and rock piles where bass are likely to be found.

Hey kerry. Yes they are. I only know this, as my buddy has been there for many years, and is in contact with the MNR regularly about this. They are proposing to build a dam by the road so they can access it. Between Rush and Head creek. This year has been the worse they have seen in 30 years. Low water, lots of heat and choking with weeds. Worse fishing they have had as well.The oringinal dam, many feel someone or group, distroyed it. He has scooped up dead bass and 2 musky so far from his water front. Sad.

Thanks Brian! I will pass that on to them.Lots of folks in their park pretty upset about not being able to get their boats in at the launch.Hopefully something comes about in the near future.I had good success on that lake a few years ago and never had the chance to go back.Still have a few spots on a hand written map I'd love to revisit one day.

Kerry