Salmon fishing rod

Hedfish

My old salmon rod broke last week and, trying to find some positive in it, I thought it will be a great opportunity to get something really good this time. :)

What do you guys think would be a good salmon fishing rod for pier fishing? Length, action, etc. I usually throw spoons, sometimes use roe.

What's your favorite salmon rod? My old one was Shimano Convergence 10', medium fast IIRC. I liked it but I wonder if something else would be better.

Edited by Hedfish

A little outside the box perhaps, but one of my favourites is an old G. Loomis 10 1/2 foot 10 wt. fly rod blank that I built up as a spinning rod years ago. I built it to replace a Fenwick HMG 1262 steelhead rod that got stolen at Queenston one day. I'd be looking for anything in the 10 1/2 foot range with some backbone to it, maybe something recommended for 8 to 12 lb test line and 1/4 to 5/8 oz lures, of course most might prefer something a little heavier.

You hear it again and again.........but the Convergence rods are great. Ironically i just snapped up 2 9'ers for the upcoming pier season, and they'll get double duty on channel cats in the spring!!

I got my nephew a starter float rig last year with a 12' convergence rod........and it handles erie steelhead nicely

What do you guys think about action - fast vs. slow - in regards to salmon pier fishing? On one hand, a fast rod should allow for better hooksets. On the other hand, a slow rod should absorb salmon's power better making fighting the fish easier/safer.

What do you think?

I use a Compre baitcaster TC4 blend with the rubberized Tennesee Handle its 8 ft 6 in and puts the boots to Chinooks and the rubberized handle sticks to your underarm for solid hooksets, no longer made unfortunately, another option is the Shimano model 1804 downrigger rod, its 8 ft 6 in as well and Heavy action, i use it for musky trolling Believers at warp speed and its only about 40 bucks, cheap option but there are many options to choose

I like the idea of the 10 wt blanks build mentioned previously, skies the limit and so is your wallet for chuckin

Just built a 9'6" rod using an MHX blank for a friend's son. Great blanks, He's a GLoomis guy, but was quite impressed with the finished rod. I know Spiel can get in the MHX blanks, if you want something good it's probably worth investigating.

Last night I went 2 for 2 on my Shimano Zuraca rod and reel combo. It is 6.6 rod with about 3 inches missing because It broke off. Both were king Salmon weighing over 20 lbs. I have 15 lb braid with 15 lb Maxima Ultragreen Leader. I know it is not the ideal setup, but I could not believe how well the rod did considering it is just over 6 feet and medium strength rod with a 1 ball bearing reel. :good:

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-ZUR250066M2S-Zuraca-2500F-Combo/product-reviews/B004BL7APW

Edited by huzzsaba