Looking for Pike

Korber

Hey guys,

I am looking for an area (not spot)to find some nice sized pike in the Grand river, near Cambridge would be nice. I can't seem to always get away with the boat to Conestogo or Valens and the river would be nice to try.

Pike is my favorite to eat so that's the size I'm going for.

Thanks,

I know there are not any real numbers of Pike reported being caught on the Grand from below Caledonia to the lake. My pal who grew up in Caledonia tells of huge pike being speared 50 years ago in the creeks during spawn there, maybe that's why there aren't many now. No idea what or where Pike may be above Caledonia.

Think they have got bigger in your friends memories, pike spearing was a spring ritual in my teens/1960s and never knew there to be any monsters from the Grand or Welland River, there was the occasional good sized one in a ditch off Gravelly Bay at Port Colborne running from the clay pits. Huge is my books is 20 pound class, good size is 3 footers in the 9-12 pound class, most were 24 to 30 inches.

I'm not sure I would eat anything out of the Grand, actually I am, I wouldn't. Reports of raw sewage from the towns along the river are not a regular thing but not rare either. That plus all the runoff from farms there tells me to not eat fish from that river. Many do.

Groundy would never lie about the size of a fish. He said they were 1/2 as long as he was. I don't think he hits 5' now and he was 10 then! It was McKenzie Creek.

If you look at the fish eating guide for Ontario, a lot of local waters are the opposite of what would expect. In many cases, the fish from local rivers and lakes are cleaner to eat than many, many lakes up north. No worries here like those poor people up by Grassy Narrows, as an extreme example.

head to Belwood in the spring. Too many pike there. Probably not much help this time of year though... I haven't been by there in a while but I bet the water level is down to a small trickle.

have you been to belwood this year?

Ive heard the fishery got destroyed by our friends with ugly sticks and garbage pails

have you been to belwood this year?

Ive heard the fishery got destroyed by our friends with ugly sticks and garbage pails

I think I was there on or around opening day for pike/walleye. There were lots of fish to be had that day, and healthy too. I don't go there very often though. Too crowded and too many guys boating around aimlessly. While those guys aggravate me to no end, I think they'd have to hit it pretty hard to deplete that lake.

Guelph lake, on the other hand, is conceivable that it's been devastated. Last year my wife reported seeing at least 5 cars parked on the County Road 29 culvert every morning from ice out until July. This year, not so much. I haven't been there personally this year though. I imagine there's still lots of carp to be had though. Soon enough that lake is going to look like a really dull, dirty koi pond.