Sonar/chartplotter recommendations?

Tjames09

you should get a lot of replies but after being in a few buddies boats I say look at the Lowrance line. Yeah I just got a "bird" but mine isn't a GPS unit and it's for the ice season and was an Ins. thing... I found looking at the screen on the Lowrance (HDS) vs Helix (bird) in ecmilly's boat I found the HDS easier to read and it was spot on!

If your not very experienced Humminbird is really user friendly and easy to learn with

If your great with sonar (I'm assuming your not or you wouldn't have asked this question) Lawrance is a good option

I run humminbirds on my boat and love em... I consider myself pretty good with electronics and my Humminbird units do everything I want my electronics to do for me

There are some great deals out there right now on the discontinued Humminbird models now that helix and onix are out

Hummingbird for your price range, Garmin when you are getting into above 800 bucks a unit for the same screen size. Just be prepared to shell out for a new one after 4 years. I know someone is going to say they have had a 600 buck HB for 6 years etc. My 4 year old HB GPS HD combo is not as sensitive as it was when new but for the fishing I do I will use it until it dies. My colour Garmin lasted 15 years but they are not made to last today and sellers admit that. I have to laugh when my Mom called a few years ago to say their new Microwave went for a crap. " It was only 15 years old Son!!!" And I get pissed when some kid at Leons tells me that my 5 year old(to me that's new) big screen TV doesn't owe me a thing it's so old.

Unless you're super technical I think all brands will do just fine. Think about what features you want then shop around for a sale or used unit. You can't go wrong with either humminbird or lowrance. If you can make it out to Woodstock, Angling Outfitters and the owner Jocelyn is the best fishfinder resource in ON and will take the time to help answer your questions and setup your unit for you. Plus he usually has some good deals on used units and can ship to you if needed.

The absolute best value you'll get is with a t-box and tablet with navionics app.

What you need;

1. A samsung or apple tablet with GPS (preferably) $200

2. A t-box $200

3. (optional) accessories like a tablet case, bracket, charger, etc.

For $400 you get a plotter, full bathymetric maps, and most importantly, the ability to generate bathymetric maps for any body of water on the spot, charted or not (fantastic for mapping backwater lakes, or your favorite bay on lake X). If I'm not mistaken, this is a feature only available on Humminbird Onix units, which run $2000.

Interestingly Raymarine came out with a similar unit called the "wi-fish". It does the same as the t-box but with CHIRP technology. I'd love to try it out one day.

Edited by Sterling

^ all that and still no depth finder? Mo thanks. Id rather have a simple depth finder than navionics on a tablet. What do you do if it rains?

Im a lowrance guy thru and thru. Never had one let me down. I still have the first one i ever bought and it works as good now as it did then.

Its all personal preference and price. They all work. You dont need anything fancy.

Elite 5 or 7, or hds 5 or 7 are great bang for your buck. Cant go wrong.

S.

only 2 things to consider

1. will u ever add another unit on the boat, because some units will network with each other and some will not

2. do you want side imaging, si units cost a little bid more

once you answer these 2 questions go buy the biggest screen you can

^ all that and still no depth finder? Mo thanks. Id rather have a simple depth finder than navionics on a tablet. What do you do if it rains?

Im a lowrance guy thru and thru. Never had one let me down. I still have the first one i ever bought and it works as good now as it did then.

Its all personal preference and price. They all work. You dont need anything fancy.

Elite 5 or 7, or hds 5 or 7 are great bang for your buck. Cant go wrong.

S.

Course it has a depth finder ya silly goose, how do you think it generates them sweet bathymetric maps?

$20 waterproof case for the tablet and you're golden.

The Elite and HDS are nice units, but if we're comparing dollar for dollar, there's no competition. The HDS;

1. Smaller screen.

2. Can't generate map on the spot.

3. Have to pay for maps.

On the plus side;

1. It has side scanning.

2. Structure scan, built in CHIRP, etc.

only 2 things to consider

1. will u ever add another unit on the boat, because some units will network with each other and some will not

2. do you want side imaging, si units cost a little bid more

once you answer these 2 questions go buy the biggest screen you can

Just one unit. How useful is the SI? Ive seen it online but cant determine its usefulness for me.

These are the three im thinking about:

http://www.basspro.com/Lowrance-Hook7-Fishfinder/Chartplotter/product/2258405/

http://www.basspro.com/Garmin-Striker-7-SV-Fishfinder/product/1509231248/

http://www.basspro.com/Humminbird-HELIX-7-DI-GPS-Fishfinder-and-Chartplotter/product/1506251145/

Course it has a depth finder ya silly goose, how do you think it generates them sweet bathymetric maps?

$20 waterproof case for the tablet and you're golden.

The Elite and HDS are nice units, but if we're comparing dollar for dollar, there's no competition. The HDS;

1. Smaller screen.

2. Can't generate map on the spot.

3. Have to pay for maps.

On the plus side;

1. It has side scanning.

2. Structure scan, built in CHIRP, etc.

I can see battery power being an issue with a tablet. I bring my ipad sometimes for a second GPS screen but am constantly putting it to sleep and restarting it to save the batt. Can't keep it running all day.

Tjames, you should call Angling outfitter's and talk to Jocelyn. He'll answer all your fishfinder q's over the phone with no obligation... He's been very helpful for me and I've actually never bought a unit there...but will my next one. They have better prices than BPS (there are much better fishing retailers IMO!), and will price match. But it's the service that makes it worth it and fact they will setup your unit for you - not an easy task for beginner. Support the smaller stores. I barely know the store and have only been in there once, so do not consider this a plug, they've just been super helpful helping me setup my unit properly and answering questions that I feel obliged to say something.

I love sidescan, it's a great tool to find structure. When you're circling around looking for that hump you see on your charts or mapping a weedline, sidescan is a great help. If you can extend the extra cash, go for it. If not, not a big deal, sonar plus GPS is all you need.