I'm now officially a non-fisherman

lew

I'm actually impressed you managed to go through with it. I couldn't do it.

My parents did the same thing last year. Gave all their stuff to the kids. "We're done with fishing and camping".

Their ruse was a brilliant one. Now that the kids own the boat and fishing gear, they have to take my parents out. Parents just show up with a coffee thermos and a hat.

Lew....you are still a fisherman....just like you are still a firefighter. Just because you don't "do" that anymore doesn't mean you are a changed person. You've taught me a lot over the years and for that I am thankful. Good luck and have fun in this new phase of your life!!

Man what a shock, I figured you were a lifer Lew. I can't imagine myself even saying selling my fishing stuff.

But you never know what life changes are in store for oneself.

I keep telling myself how long can I keep pushing my boat by hand up my driveway and into my garage, I can barely do it now.

I can understand your change Lew. Enjoy your trip east and take your time, lots to see.

Good for you Lew, i know where you are coming from. If you are doing little or no fishing any more and lost interest then why keep the boat and the equipment? We all change our hobbies over our lifetime and sometimes there is just too much work involved for what you get out of something.

My buddy and I stopped camping and fishing 3 years ago because he no longer wanted to camp. Now we don't even get out fishing and I rarely see him. I simply go fishing with others instead. I do miss camping on Georgian Bay at remote campsites though. I am not ready to give up the boat, I enjoy boating too much even if I don't fish as often.

I took up guitar about 6 years ago and put it aside after one year. Now I am staring lessons again.

I starting flying RC planes 5 years ago and love it. I recently built a 65" WWII P-51 Mustang from a box of balsa and loved the whole building experience. I took me 275 hours from start to finish.

Life happens and as we age, our priorities change.

Lew....you are still a fisherman....just like you are still a firefighter. Just because you don't "do" that anymore doesn't mean you are a changed person. You've taught me a lot over the years and for that I am thankful. Good luck and have fun in this new phase of your life!!

Cliff I couldn't have said it better myself.

Lew put me on my first musky and that is something I will never forget. I've spent a fair amount of time around Lew and they don't come any better.

Good luck to you and the Mrs.

When the mind and soul wants to do what the body refuses to life changes. I understand 110%. I am sore after a day of fishing or sitting in a Golf cart for 18 holes and now need 3 days to start walking without a limp, sore head to toe. Pain has a way of curbing passion. To be blunt if you told me 10 years ago how I would feel about Sex now at 62 I would have called you insane.

"fishing is great, but spending time with loved ones is far more important."

I'd certain agree with these comments. Having just lost a dear uncle from cancer, I have a new outlook on life. If you are not enjoying the moments available to you, you are not creating new memories. There will be a time when most of what you have left are memories. In some cases, those memories could be difficult to recall.

All the best Lew and keep checking in. As an east coaster from New Brunswick, I trust and hope you return from your trip with many great memories and a fondness for the area and the people.

Morning boys, I'm currently sitting in a hotel room in Drummondville Quebec and once the Mrs. gets up we'll be heading to Fredericton NB then onto Nova Scotia and PEI.

Anyways, just to clarify, there's absolutely nothing wrong with me and I'm healthy as a horse, infact most days I still feel like I'm 18. I just lost the passion for fishing and have no regrets about packing it in and selling all my gear. I'll still be doing all my normal trips up north with good friends from this board but fishing won't be at the top of the list.

I'm off to find some breakfast now and get ready to hit the road, we've got a long drive ahead of us.

Thanks again, your a good group.

GBW, 20 GOOD years left you hope, only 20? To tell you the truth Mr. G I don't get that one. If you mean changed teams, please. Diabetes and Bladder Cancer kills the prostrate. I love listening to guys I know in their late 60's and 70's telling stories of recent conquests, they are full of Sh&^T. I'm not dead below the waist completely, not yet anyway. I just don't do it 7 times a day like I did 10 years ago.

Lew, I apologize.

Lew it sounds like you are having a great time, I'm jealous. Crossing the PEI bridge and getting back on the red sand beaches is on my to do list. I hear you about kind of loosing the passion, it happens. I am glad to hear your are healthy, without that what do we have? Poor health is something I never, ever even thought about. Bad knees but that was it until 8 years ago really. I always thought I would take after my father who is going to be 90. We bought him a new gel seat for his Mountain bike for his 80th. Nope took after my mother who has been dying of the same heart attack for 50 years.

I'm feeling better though everyday.

Enjoy big guy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Lew, I fully understand! It's not easy doing all that smiling, holding big ass ski's! My guess, your mouth is just too sore from smilin all those years, so take the break, give the jaw some much deserved time off and save those smiles for your loved ones.

HH