I'm now officially a non-fisherman

lew

I mentioned awhile back that after 65 years of fishing, the last 40 odd years basically chasing nothing but muskies, I decided to call it quits and sold my boat and a bunch of gear to a bud up north that owns a fishing camp.

I also listed a lot of rods, reels and baits on this board and was able to sell it all very quickly.

I kept my favorite rod & reel plus a few more baits for another friend and he came yesterday and picked it all up.

Only thing left is a Mustang HIT inflatable jacket ...MD3153...that needs a new canister but we're leaving tomorrow morning for Nova Scotia and PEI so I may list it here when I get home.

Seems strange...and empty... in the garage now with no boat and no tackle after all these years but it's what I wanted to do.

The last 65 years and I've fished with a lot of good friends and family, done a pile of travelling and have boated plenty of nice fish and best of all is so many great memories. My garage walls are full of pictures to keep reminding me of fun trips.

I don't post here much any more but still enjoy reading the fishing tales and will continue to do so even though fishing for me is now just a spectator sport. :lol:

Same here Lew. If you ever want to get out let me know. I always looked forward to reading your posts, and won't forget how nice you were to me giving me that lawn mower. I'm still using it to this day. I will gladly buy that mustang inflatable off you when you get back from out east. Have a great trip. Cheers.

Sad to hear, Lew.

Don't really know you but sorta do from all your posts on this site.

I know you are a class act, that's obvious to me.

Hope withdrawal symptoms won't be too bad.

Just don't take up that other past time.

You know, that 4 letter word.

You'll have time now to work on that smile

Cheers

Peter.

Thanks boyz and also thanks for the offers of fishing. Not saying I'll never fish again but it'll just be very occasionally if I do. My bud that bought the boat and owns the amp says I can use it whenever I'm up there.

And Matt, the jacket is yours, I'll contact you when I get home.

Who are you and what did you do with Lew?

I couldn't even fathom just quitting fishing. Its been in my blood for so many generations, it is a huge part of me. Its a lifestyle I guess.

I hope all is well with you Lew, and this decision is something you really wanted to do.

S.

Enjoy your trip Lew - and when you get back let me know, I'll make the trip out your way for those flaps.

Life's a strange and lengthy road that seems to take many strange turns along the way. May your next turn take you down a path that provides as much enjoyment as that fish in your avatar .

Wow.....quit fishing.....unfathomable. I have a couple of brothers-in-law that no longer do any fishing. I introduced them to fishing and they seemed to love it but after a few years, they just quit. I see few friends take up fishing, buy a boat or canoe and then after a while, they just seem to quit going. But after 65 years, very hard to understand. I'm 69 and started fishing for brook trout in streams when I was about 3 years old. At 5 years old, I was fishing on my own in the nearby creeks for chub and fishing with my dad who went fishing often. I like to eat fish and I keep most of the fish I catch. When I go on a trip, I always pack some fishing equipment. After all of those years, I finally have a decent boat and a good canoe. I also do a lot of icefishing. I hope to be able to go on fishing for at least 10 more years. I love to go fishing. I know a lot about fishing and I am considered a good fisherman. I could have become a ;guide but I was afraid of losing my love for the sport by turning it into a job.

Edited by Dabluz

I am not sorry for you one bit Lew. In fact, I am happy for you (in awe actually) because you have such great memories and the conviction to simply do what you want when you want. Not sorry for you but happy for you.

Now that said, I am very sorry for myself for not being able to connect with you, build a friendship, and try to pull as much knowledge and wisdom from you I am capable of understanding to help me be a better fisherman and better person. I always enjoy your posts and hope you remain active on the board.

I cannot even imagine living life without fishing... :(.... and unless I am dead that's the only reason I will not be fishing :ninja:,for some of us fishing is life and means everything :worthy::Gonefishing: I can understand selling your boat and maybe some tackle but to not fish anymore after doing it for most of your life,in my case it has been my entire life since I could walk.....enjoy your trip down east lew.... heck even in the past when I have sold a boat I almost go into a panic attack knowing it could be a few weeks of not owning a boat till I get another one.... lol..lol. I have owned boats long before I could even have a drivers licence.....lol ,