2 stroke mercury oil

grt1

a buddy of mine gave me 2 gallon jugs of mercury 2 stroke engine oil. the store he purchased them at had them on a display that said it was opti oil, and he figured the opti engines are 2 stroke so this should be good to go.

but, the oil i always buy says opti oil right on the jug, not 2 stroke.

so my question is , to those who know such things , if i use this as my opti engine oil , will i screw my 150 hp opti. or should i save it to mix with gas for my 20 hp motor?

any and all comments and advice gladly accepted

If it has TCW-3 certification on the label it is okay for the Opti. It think the only oils Merc sells with that rating are the Optimax oil and Premium Plus which are both synthetic blends. I wouldn't use regular 2 stroke oil in the opti.

I think an Optimax requires low ash oil. I am not sure whether or not your oil would be low ash.

Considering the cost of a jug or oil vs. the cost of a new motor; I would give it to someone with a traditional two stroke and buy the proper oil.

Edited by JohnBacon

I think an Optimax requires low ash oil. I am not sure whether or not your oil would be low ash.

Considering the cost of a jug or oil vs. the cost of a new motor; I would give it to someone with a traditional two stroke and buy the proper oil.

The last I heard (years ago) is that all 2 cycle oil is now "low ash" oil.

i picked up the oil yesterday, it was the premium plus oil and it says on the jug it is for oil injection and is rated better than the tcw3 . so I guess i'll use it but maybe i'll mix it with the expensive opti oil

i picked up the oil yesterday, it was the premium plus oil and it says on the jug it is for oil injection and is rated better than the tcw3 . so I guess i'll use it but maybe i'll mix it with the expensive opti oil

Oil injection does not mean Optimax. Virtually all 2 stroke outboards over 40 hp (and smaller ones too) built in the 35 years have oil injection. They are not all Optimax.

https://www.quicksilver-products.com/en/products/marine/outboard/lubricant/two-stroke-outboard-oil/

According to this link, Premium Plus is okay for the Opti...

According to that link Premium Plus is not OK for Optimax.

Only the DFI Outboard Oil is OK for Optimax and I would recommend only using DFI Outboard Oil in Optimax motors.

Only the DFI Outboard Oil is OK for Optimax and I would recommend only using DFI Outboard Oil in Optimax motors.

That's not the way I read it. The chart indicates that Premium is 'Not recommended'. Premium Plus is listed as 'Better'; while DFI is listed as 'Best'.

I would think that an oil listed as 'Better' as OK. However, if I had paid for a new 150 hp Opti, I would go with the 'Best' and give or sell the Premium Plus to someone a traditional two stroke.

The table at the bottom seems pretty clear, not sure how you could possibly draw this conclusion. Anyway, like the others, I only put Opti oil in mine whether it's really necessary or not.