Short day fishing yesterday

GBW

Well I did my typical visit to my folks place on my kids weekend (Burnt River) and was all set to get out on the lake for a bit mid day for a fish. Recently the bilge pump died and the boat needed some bailing (done). Go to start and lower it a bit on the lift and for some reason a thought popped in my head to "try and turn it over it hasn't been run it two weeks that I know of". Yeah it was stone cold dead. Hooked up the tester and it was showing a 0.55 for power... UGH. So much for fishing and the kids tubing... Rigged up some extension cables to stay dry and toss in the charger. Let it sit from 2 pm to 6 pm and it had enough power to get me out fishing for a bit (all close to home and not my normal spots for walleye). In the short time I was out (went back before dusk to not need the lights and worry about being stuck to paddle an 18 1/2' bowrider solo) I was able to find 4 decent SMB and 2 decent/good LMB. When I'm solo I don't take pic's as I cannot afford to buy a new cell right now...

Went to fire up the boat today for a quick fish and or kids to go for a tube ride and I was able to get it to turn over enough to fire up after a few tries. All the electronics in the boat were off and the battery was recently replaced too and this is the fist issue battery wise in a few years. So needless to say that the boat is now going to be out of the water till next year as I won't be going to visit for another month or longer... *sigh*

Is there a way a NON-WORKING bilge pump can still draw power even if the switch if off to cause this?

Also noticed a chip in the hull at the back of the boat. I have never hit anything in the boat so I am going to guess a big flipping jig did that as it was in the back left of the boat (right by the owl in the pic at water level). Noticed the chip when on the trailer and strapping it down... ARGH...

13330933_10154029600216253_5002398381391771945_n.jpg

I found that if I left the removable faceplate for the stereo hooked up she would draw power. If I leave the GPS combo and the other sonar in the boat I unplug them too.

One of the best investments in the last 3 years was a portable booster. Good because the boats in the water and has an auto bilge as well to have in the wife's older car in winter and never I leave the dock without it. Less then 100 bucks CTC. Of course since I bought it I never needed it.

Less then 100 bucks CTC. Of course since I bought it I never needed it.

The funny part about that is I have one and the darn thing was dead too!! Couldn't boost a cricket after being plugged in for a few hours too!

As for the stereo I honestly think 2 years ago I unhooked it (fully) because of the kids. I'm 99.8% sure of it that I did.

No GPS in the boat and the sonar it is VERY seldom I use it as I know my spots and the lake very well after 15 or so years there.

I really think the bad bilge pump somehow pulled power and when I go there next in 4 - 6 weeks a full wire test will be done then with the aid of my father.

Auto bilge pump ? pump comes on, debris jams pump, power still on to pump, battery dies, maybe motor on pump burns out.

Not an auto one, I have to flip the switch to turn it on and off. Either way I have a few ideas now and thanks all!

Why do you have a radio in your boat? Have you ever heard the racket a radio makes by sending vibrations through the hull of the boat? Stick your head in the water and find out.

My boat is a "pleasure craft" for family fun but I fish from it as it get's me from point a to point b faster than the tinny. If you looked at the pic it's a bowrirder and not a bass boat... just saying...

Why do you have a radio in your boat? Have you ever heard the racket a radio makes by sending vibrations through the hull of the boat? Stick your head in the water and find out.

PS, what is that unit KVD uses to win FLW events (others too use them) that sends sounds into the water to attract fish? ;)