South Bay Nipissing Report

NDangler

Hey everybody,

It's been a long time since I've posted, but figured I'd put up a report from a recent trip to Nipissing from Aug 20-30. We were primarily fishing for pike and musky, and it was definitely a slow bite. We managed a couple 30 inch pike and raised a couple muskies, but couldn't find any takers. Have been noticing more and more (we've been going to Nipissing since 97) that when a bite is on, it's in very short windows, and very sudden. On the last day we were fishing over an area of cabbage we had been covering well all week with limited success, and within 30 minutes we had about 6 hits on topraiders. Then, it ended as quickly as it started, we didn't have another hit for the remainder of the few hours we were out. We did manage some nice largemouth and smallmouth a couple days. We've always found the bass fishing in nipissing to be great.

Weather was comfortable the entire trip, but a bit windy at times. Still love being up there even if the fish aren't cooperating. Saw a bald eagle and several deer. Also, we got to meet Bernie and his wife, who couldn't have been nicer people. We really enjoyed chatting with them.

Hoping we'll have a better fishing report next year, I already can't wait to get back up there.

Tight lines everyone,

John

Back in the late 70's and for the next 10 years we always hit the South Bay since the former in laws had a cottage on Bear Creek. All 4 seasons we would head up there. The Walleye fishing was phenomenal winter and spring into late summer and for a change we would cast the weed beds in South Bay. I'm happy to hear someone else is enjoying it now. ( By the way I still have family in Youngstown and went to Youngstown State for a year.)

I've been hearing that as well, with the musky bite being very slow this year for some reason up there. We had some very close friends up at Memquisit during the month of August - and other than a few follows ...... No takers. Hope the weather starting to cool down a bit here, will change things up a bit. We're heading to Memquisit for a week this coming Saturday and follow that up with a week on the French River. Been very slow for us the past couple years. Last year, three weeks up in that area and only one 40" Class fish. Typically we do better than that. We shall see.