Anyone need a new trolling motor?

Dave Bailey

Spoke with a lady from there.. It does come with the foot pedal and hand remote.. She said it's an 80 lbs 54" shaft with i-pilot, auto-pilot and US2. The bag you see has everything in it... Picking it up tomorrow morning @ 9:00am when they open.. I'm out that way for work tomorrow so what the hell..

I have a Terrova now 60" shaft with all the same features except for i-pilot.. New this year.. it'll be on Kijiji later this week..

Thanks for the heads up..

Spoke with a lady from there.. It does come with the foot pedal and hand remote.. She said it's an 80 lbs 54" shaft with i-pilot, auto-pilot and US2. The bag you see has everything in it... Picking it up tomorrow morning @ 9:00am when they open.. I'm out that way for work tomorrow so what the hell..

I have a Terrova now 60" shaft with all the same features except for i-pilot.. New this year.. it'll be on Kijiji later this week..

Thanks for the heads up..

Glad to help!

Well, I couldn't get there @ 9:00am as planned as work changed a bit.. Went in there at 11:00am only to find it gone...

lol.... It's all good... Like I said, I already have a Terrova which I'm really happy with for my type of fishing..

Tiz

Edited by tizfun

• 1 month later...

Here's a bit of a funny story...

Thought I'd update everyone as I was the lucky guy who bought this motor! I've been in the market for awhile and this was the one I could't refuse (LOL). Brought it home super excited to install it, took off the old 55lb powerdrive, decided to upgrade my trolling motor plug and circuit breaker, bought two new deep cycles and some other stuff for the install. Mounted everything, wired it all up to my new 24v system and with great excitement popped it down for the first time to test it. Hmm.. it didn't want to turn on for some reason? I couldn't figure it out. Spent some time going through everything over and over and still couldn't get to the bottom of it! Stumped, I uninstalled it, brought it to Aikman's and with a millisecond glance at the motor he tells me... "that's a 55lb". We had a good laugh at all the work I put into almost getting my new terrova. He tested it and all worked so I sold it to some lucky guy who saved a few hundred off retail.

Back to the old 12 volt system and 55lber until the time comes again!

The old saying "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is" held up nicely for this deal. Makes me laugh thinking about the whole ordeal.

You're a lucky guy Tizfun LOL!

Here's a bit of a funny story...

Thought I'd update everyone as I was the lucky guy who bought this motor! I've been in the market for awhile and this was the one I could't refuse (LOL). Brought it home super excited to install it, took off the old 55lb powerdrive, decided to upgrade my trolling motor plug and circuit breaker, bought two new deep cycles and some other stuff for the install. Mounted everything, wired it all up to my new 24v system and with great excitement popped it down for the first time to test it. Hmm.. it didn't want to turn on for some reason? I couldn't figure it out. Spent some time going through everything over and over and still couldn't get to the bottom of it! Stumped, I uninstalled it, brought it to Aikman's and with a millisecond glance at the motor he tells me... "that's a 55lb". We had a good laugh at all the work I put into almost getting my new terrova. He tested it and all worked so I sold it to some lucky guy who saved a few hundred off retail.

Back to the old 12 volt system and 55lber until the time comes again!

The old saying "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is" held up nicely for this deal. Makes me laugh thinking about the whole ordeal.

You're a lucky guy Tizfun LOL!

Why not just wire your 2 batteries in parallel instead of in series and run it at 12V? I did that for years with my Terrova 55 and then when I upgraded to the 80 just re-wired them to series for 24V....

Edited by G.mech

Why not just wire your 2 batteries in parallel instead of in series and run it at 12V? I did that for years with my Terrova 55 and then when I upgraded to the 80 just re-wired them to series for 24V....

I might one day but I returned the 2 new deep cycles in a huff and puff and sold the terrova. I have a 12v now and it gets me by... didn't want a $1000 new one, even if it's a terrova. I'm holding out for 24v. In any ripping wind, my 12v's like spot lock, barely pushes the boat. It's the more power I'm after.

I didn't mention the part about almost converting a part of my casting deck into a new hatch to easily fit both new batteries without having to awkwardly slide them into my size one battery compartment. Even procured the hole saw and was a day away from ordering the latch and hinges for my new battery compartment. Almost cut a big hole in my floor for the new motor.. Close call lol.

Edited by JoshS

So it was a Terrova, but a 55lb model?

Yes, turned out to be a 55lb terrova, not the 80 advertised by the store.

It was to good to be true! Made a few bucks off it though so I'm not completely pissed off for the waste of time and effort lol.

Who would of thought I'd have to locate the little sticker underneath to double check lol. I'm just glad I stuck with the 8awg wire and at least saved the effort of rewiring with 6awg... and making a new boat hatch! Makes me laugh thinking about it...

Some guy still got a good deal on a new terrova he wanted which is another positive aside from making a few bucks.

But I look back at it all and it cracks me up. I've never heard of anyone coming home with what they thought was a 24v, buying all the hardware, batteries etc, wiring everything and setting up your boat for the new 24v, installing everything only to find out it's still a 12v!

The best was me calling my fishing buddies super excited that day.. "finally got that 80lb terrova boys, see ya 55lb powerdrive!". Guess the times haven't changed quite yet ha!

Some guy still got a good deal on a new terrova he wanted which is another positive aside from making a few bucks.

But I look back at it all and it cracks me up. I've never heard of anyone coming home with what they thought was a 24v, buying all the hardware, batteries etc, wiring everything and setting up your boat for the new 24v, installing everything only to find out it's still a 12v!

The best was me calling my fishing buddies super excited that day.. "finally got that 80lb terrova boys, see ya 55lb powerdrive!". Guess the times haven't changed quite yet ha!

You sir, have just acquired what we old guys call "experience". Anyone who can laugh at themselves is a welcome member.

HH

Who would of thought I'd have to locate the little sticker underneath to double check lol. I'm just glad I stuck with the 8awg wire and at least saved the effort of rewiring with 6awg... and making a new boat hatch! Makes me laugh thinking about it...

Actually, the 6 gauge wire would be a good idea. It is counter intuitive to a lot of people, but it's the 12 volt motors that require the heavier gauge wires. Higher voltage motors draw fewer amps than low voltage motors.

Eight gauge should be okay if you are only running a few feet from your battery to the plug. If it's a longer run than you should run six gauge.

Your #8 wire will be fine for your 80lb 24V motor unless it's crazy long. If anything, your 55lb motor will draw more current at 12V than the 80 will at 24V. They recommend a 60A breaker for both as well:

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Support/Battery-Selection---Rigging/