1-800-got-junk NF

Big Cliff

So it seemed that no one needed the free stuff I was giving away, tried calling Salvation Army, driver on holidays until next week, Vickie's Values, women's resource center, Restore.... everyone I could think of, no one had the ability or was interested in it.

So I keep hearing all about the 1-800-got-junk and how they recycle so much stuff so I went on line, listed what I had, got a quote of $116.00 and a confirmed pickup for today at 12:30 - 2:30. I decided ; why not, it will go to someone that can use it.

Sue was having heart surgery today in Peterborough and I couldn't be here so I hired a young friend to house sit while I was away so they could pick up the items. !2:00 they call, they are over booked and can't get here until 6:00. The young fellow has to be at work by 4:00. Now I'm in a bind, I'm in Peterborough with Sue, the movers are coming tomorrow morning at 8:00.

Toby (my young house sitter) agrees that he will phone in to work and arrange to start at 8 if I will agree to cover his lost 4 hours. I'm sitting in the hospital on pins and needles waiting on word of how Sue is doing, so I agree.

4:00 pm the 1-800 guys call, do I only have the three items? Yes! They still have a little room on the truck and might be able to get here a little earlier.

Sue gets out of surgery, procedure went well, they will transfer back to Lindsay. I head for home knowing that poor Toby has to be into work by 8 and hasn't had time to make a lunch or anything. Get home, sort things out with Toby.

5:45 the 1-800 guys show up they want $346.00 to remove the three items, I tell them I was quoted $116.00 on line and had a CONFIRMED pick up time! They tell me "that is their minimum charge and would be for 1 item only"! Oh and the dispatch center have no idea what they are doing!

I explained that I had listed ALL the items prior to getting the quote. TOO BAD!

So, if you ever think of calling them, be forewarned! Now I have three items I am going to have to try to get rid of tomorrow, I can't move them myself. I am so pissed!

PS, Sue made it through the procedure! Tomorrow is our 32 anniversary! Movers will be here at 8 and I'm toast LOL.

Edited by Big Cliff

post it up on kijiji, or put it curbside, someone will scoop it.

Posted on kijiji so far all replies wanted me to deliver it for FREE!. I'm 70, I don't move couches anymore. I've already given away a few grand worth of stuff. Just had a call from a friend, he is coming tomorrow to help haul it away, this should be fun, one old guy and a mid age friend loading this stuff! I should have just pulled it out in the yard and had a bonfire LOL (oh wait there is a fire ban on here, fine $2500.00).

That is sad, good stuff going in the garbage! and a company trying to take you! It doesn't make sense.

Maybe the new people will take it for free?

I was pulled the same scam for a garage door spring repair, quoted 125 came in at 250 NO way!

Sir you cables are damaged and will snap soon, 100 to replace those.

I learned a lot in an hour :(

Cliff, Think about Sue's health first the other stuff will find a place.

Edited by ketchenany

Sorry you didn't call me yesterday my friend...busy today...have two contracters coming to give quotes for bathroom and ramp...not that I would be much use moving stuff...(save moving the lampshades for me...LOL)

My son Steven got dinged by those 1-800-gotjunk guys when he had them remove stuff from his mother's home after she died...mind you he didn't have much choice as he lives in London and she was in a mobile home park north of Lindsay and he took the day off to take care of it...

Edited by Beans

I know you're far from GTA but worth contacting the Furniture Bank to see if they can get it. They charge for pickup but they give you a tax receipt that will always be more than the pickup fee otherwise no one would use them. Their stuff is given free to new immigrants (ie- recent Syrian refugees) to help start their new lives here.

as an old joke says...if you put out by the road with a sign "FREE" nobody will take it cause they think it's junk so, put a sign saying "$50" and someone will steal it :tease:

Very true. I put stuff out one time with a sign saying "donations are accepted" and ended up with about $25 or so in my mailbox.

Thanks everyone for the advice and offers to help.

Wiskeywizzard and his beautiful bride showed up with his trailer yesterday morning and the movers loaded the things that were going and away he went. Doreen very kindly delivered our second car to where we are staying between move out and move in so that was one less thing for me to worry about.

Sue got out of the hospital yesterday afternoon, she is going to be fine, they think the angina was brought on by stress and over exertion (and the fact she only has 30% heart function anyway). She is on light duty (and heavy wine) for the next few weeks (Cliffie's orders).

We got to have a very nice dinner and were in bed and I was asleep by 7:30 (ya, I know exciting eh?).

Thanks again everyone!

I have never met you or your wife but though the forum I feel I know you.

I'm so happy that you two are coming to the end of this hard journey and starting a whole new life together in a new home.

You have no idea of the friends you have here; nope to meet you one day sir.

Dan.