Michelin Defender LTX

lew

I'm putting new 20" tires on my '13 F-150 and have read some good stuff about the Michelin Defender LTX.

Just wondering if anyones using them and what are your opinions...good or bad.

I use dedicated winter tires so these will only be 3 seasons.

Thanks Tom, I've had Michelins on a few other vehicles but not for 10 years or so now and was always happy with them. Evidentely the Defenders are a new model but I'm sure they'll meet the standard of Michelin.

I can get a set of 4 installed, balanced, taxes and road hazard warranty for $1193 out the door at Kal Tire in P'Boro.

Heck of a good price in my opinion

for 20" tires Lew, that's a great deal. I have purchased tires at Kal Tire in the past and they have always switched my winter to summer and summer to winter free of charge. (so long as the tires were purchased there) They will even store them for you as well, which I have never taken advantage of. Although with your empty garage, storage should NOT be a problem.

What's the size Lew, not just the rim size; I would like to see where my shop stands with your supplier?

Dan.

Dan, the Pirelli's I have now are P275 / 55 / R20 111s

Dara, I like the 20's and don't find them too bad, but your right, my winter tires are 17 and they for sure are a bit smoother with the higher sidewall.

Tom, yeah I shopped around and Kal Tire was cheaper than the other lowest price and $400 cheaper than the FORD dealer...which wasn't unexpected.

I also like to deal with a company that specializes in tires unlike CTC or Costco.

I always change my own tires plus my daughters for the winter and your right, I have plenty of space to store them as I have an upstairs loft in the garage and all 8 tires fit comfortably under the stairs completely out of the way.

Thanks Dan, IMO that road hazard is a big plus.

Kal Tire up here has a very good rep and I think they'll be good guys to deal with.

Gonna call them right now and get them ordered as the Mrs. and I are heading for Nova Scotia & PEI in 2 weeks and I want them on for the trip.

A little bit off topic, but worth mentioning. For those who change their tires up every fall and spring. don't forget to RE TORQUE the nuts after 100 or so kms.

I neglected to do this and found my left rear wheel making lots of noise and just about to come off. 3 lug nuts sheared off and 3 more loose. Ruined the aluminum wheel and needed six new studs and nuts.

Lew I put Michelins (first time) on my Jeep two winters ago and they are amazing in the snow.

I just nota new 2016 and I can still use them :) I only put on 7 to 8 km per season so they are still new.

On this Jeep I have 4x4 and a snow option hope that will make them even better.

Lew, don't know if you have a Costco nearby, they may be a few dollars cheaper and they have the lifetime rotation and repairs included. I just had a bad dealing with Goodyear, anything other than manufacture defect, they are not warrantied without buying an extra plan. I've had Michelin on all my other trucks, I'll be junking the goodyears next spring.

I believe the new Defenders are an upgrade to the LTX MS/2 series.

Edited by Fisherman

A little bit off topic, but worth mentioning. For those who change their tires up every fall and spring. don't forget to RE TORQUE the nuts after 100 or so kms.

I neglected to do this and found my left rear wheel making lots of noise and just about to come off. 3 lug nuts sheared off and 3 more loose. Ruined the aluminum wheel and needed six new studs and nuts.

Good advice.

Scary

Thanks.

Lew, don't know if you have a Costco nearby, they may be a few dollars cheaper

I called the tire center at COSTCO in Peterboro 4 times yesterday and couldn't get anyone to answer a phone so to heck with them, I'll give my business to KalTire who answered the phone on the 1st ring and gave me a quote within 1 minute. They ordered my tires yesterday and hope to have them in tomorrow and if so will do the install on Saturday.

That's the kind of folks I like to deal with.

Just to add to this, make sure the mating surfaces of the wheel and the hub are 100% clean; especially on aluminum wheels. Wire brush or sandpaper it right down to bare metal; a coat of paint if you like but it must be clean and smooth.

Dan

Just to add to this, make sure the mating surfaces of the wheel and the hub are 100% clean; especially on aluminum wheels. Wire brush or sandpaper it right down to bare metal; a coat of paint if you like but it must be clean and smooth.

Dan

X2 or they will stick worse than gorilla glue.

I swap my tires back & forth twice a year and have always wire brushed them but a couple years back I started using anti-sieze also and it works very well. Never had a wheel stuck on a hub before but now it's even better.

Dan

Well your never to old to learn something..

Thanks Dan, and Lew for the Anti seize idea.

A little off topic, but I thought I'd pass along a recent tire/rim experience I had with my Ford Flex.

i had my shop do a tire rotation and afterwards, the truck was shaking badly at highway speed. Shop thought the balance may be out so they checked all four tires. Well, it appears that I had a bent rim. Here's where the head shaking begins!

Ford wants $1,200 all in for a new rim! My gut hurt from laughing at that price!!!! Called a few wreckers and sourced a used rim out of Quebec... $330 all in.

HH

Hi Lew. Greetings from PEI.

Defender LTX is a good tire. My price all in installed, balanced, taxes included, including road hazard, no charge seasonal changeover and 24/7/365 North America wide tire roadside assistance is $1120.00. So your Kal Tire price is OK. Forget Costco, they are a pain in the rear to deal with and Defender to Defender their tires are not exactly the same. On some models they buy a specific tread design exclusive to them. I am not a fan.

John

Edited by John

Thanks John, I was hoping you'd chime in with your price.

I guess KalTire may not be the cheapest but I'm happy with $1193, specially compared to the other places I talked to.

We've been following your trip on Facebook and it sounds like you & Barb are having a great time and hopefully the trailer is everything you hoped for. We'll be leaving on the 12th so maybe we'll pass on the hi-way somewhere LOL