Resoutle Fishing Trip

Korber

Hello OFC

A while back I had asked for some advice on what Provincial park to camp/fish at I had Restoule, Miniskew and Grundy in mind. I was led to believe that Restoule would be the best choice and a few local fishing buddies confirmed that as well. I am so happy that I listened to all the great advice, so I will say this now THANK YOU EVERYONE. I had a great trip fishing was good, the camping was equally great and I was able to be lazy as I wanted.

Our trip started with an extra long drive what should have taken 4.5 Hours according to Google maps took us a very fun and relaxing 7.5 hours. Mostly us stopping to meet a friend to get my boat back, groceries and multiple Timmies stops.

Restoule PP was quite a nice park, large with a good layout. The electrical sites are quite large decent coverage, I would recommend it.

The fishing was great, I was given loads of tips for a buddy that used to live there as well as Mike the owner of the Crows nest, nice little restaurant if your in the area FYI, The first day out I got some smallies nothing of size maybe 2 lbs tops but boy did they fight. I was impressed. The second day out we were trolling for Walleye, I got a nice tiny guy maybe 1 lbs but big daddy followed him up all the way to the boat before darting off. I landed the little guy and cast out again and trolled, about 10 minutes later I hit a monster. She didn't fight much but when she got to the surface my wife and I were everything but calm. My wife and I landed this beauty in the boat quickly nabbed a few pictures and released her, I unfortunately don't have a scale but I was told that its about 8 lbs maybe more. I have always wanted to eat a Walleye I caught but this one was too big and I felt guilty at the thought of it. After catching that Walleye I abandoned the idea of trying to Muskie fish that week. I fished twice more after that day but the boat had 2 more adults on it and the fishing wasn't great. The rain had also started on and off for us, but I was happy anyways with my biggest catch ever.

All in all a great trip will go to that area again, but likely a new lake because why not.

OH and on my last day there I woke up to the sound of rain...lots of wind and more rain. It had rained earlier in the week, nothing much maybe 8" in the boat. This time though a storm whipped up on the lake and I was greeted to the lovely sight of my boat on the bottom of the lake in the slip. I had a good laugh over that!, a very nice guy that was camping on the sites that have beach front was kind enough to take my fuel tank, PFD and misc items out of the boat. This guy then seen me standing by my sunken boat, came over offered his help which I gladly accepted! His wife was kind enough to help me and my brother bail out the boat. He did tell me that he visits Restoule yearly and this happens every time. So my tip for you all. bow out in the slip when in a storm on Restoule lake.

Anyways Thanks again to everyone that gave me tips and advice it was much appreciated and thanks to all for reading.

Restoule1.jpg

Restoule3.jpg

Wow that's some serious water in the boat :D.

Cheers on the release, the big ones aren't that tasty anyhow.

That was after we got it turned around and half the water out of it. IT was so heavy of the bottom I had to take both motors off and lift with all my might and I still needed another guy to help me spin it around lol

Nice report , no pics of the big walleye ?

I forgot the best pictures LOL!! I added them up.

pics

you are so right they are EVERYWHERE in that part. The second day there it was raining a bit and we took a drive around the park. My wife and I followed a 9 point buck and a little 2 pointer for about a kilometer before they dipped off in the bush too deep. It was nice to see that big guy, he wasn't much frightened by us either. My wife did get to see her first black bear on our way home on the 522. Was only a little guy but she was very excited.

Restoule is a beautiful park, I highly recommend checking it out. To say there are tons of deer in the park is not an exaggeration! I saw 7 this past weekend, here's a few quick snaps:

0E51678E-2813-4197-A866-500B9738E27A_zps

861CBF69-40B7-47E2-A5E5-C5CD98E0678F_zps

C9CCFB23-7222-4035-9E2B-8303D233EDBE_zps

These were right inside the campground, no need to go hiking to find them. Didn't see any bears but we had the obligatory visit by the trash pandas.

Fishing was another story altogether. It was a family camping trip so I didn't get much time in the boat, and when I did it was hot and sunny with no clouds in sight. I managed one small bass in 4 hours. I'm not much for heat and Sun so I'm happy for fall to arrive anyways.

Edited by Dutch01

Made it up twice this summer. park never lets me down. Got a few pics of bears on the trail cam overnight as well as foxes,coons and a deer. They all past by at the back of our site which is right on the water.

The raccoons are nothing like they were back 10-15 years ago. They did a bunch of trapping and the numbers have certainly dropped off. back then we would have 10-12 on our site at one time

Bowslayer , I remember 10 years ago they set traps up on the edge of our site and we watched a big fat raccoon enter the trap and eat 7 marshmallows without stepping on the plate, he then went to the next one and on the 4th mallow he tripped the trap, only saw 2 this whole trip along with the bear.

We had something similar happen on White Otter. Had the Lund all tied up to a tree. I wake up at 3am to pee and it's gone... I walk over another 100ft and it's nestled in between two of our friends boats, lol! That could have gone really really wrong.

I tied my boat up on a dock where I was camping using a rope - the waves from the big boats passing near the dock caused the rope to break and the boat drifted up along the shore - lucky the wind was blowing partly towards shore and I was able to walk up the shore line and get the boat - it was rough going because the shore line was all cattails and marshy grass - at times I was up to my knees in muck - if the wind had been blowing away from shore I'd still be looking for the boat - now I use a chain to tie the boat - also put a lock on the chain - live and learn