Puff Ball Mushrooms

NAW

I found a decent sized one last night.

The plan is to dry it out and use it for cooking in stews and chilli. A nice natural chilli this fall with goose meat, vegies/tomatoes from my garden..

I was just wondering if anyone knows any unique recipes that I could use some of the puff ball for? Aside from the usual stuff. I don't often stray to far from my basic meals, but I was thinking it would be cool to try something new with some of the puff ball.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the ideas so far!

I would harvest that 10" one right away. If the bugs find it, they will eat it up in a hurry! There's likely some animals that would eat them as well I assume.

I picked mine last night. It's in the fridge, and I am going to dehydrate most of it tonight, cook the rest up tonight to have with dinner. No waiting around, because I think to go bad pretty quick.

I'm no expert though.

You want them while they are pure white inside, (like fresh snow) if they start to show any signs of yellow/brown they are done.

I slice mine about 3/8" thick for dehydrating, (1/2 " for pan frying in butter) once dehydrated I powder it, put it in ziplock bags and squeeze out most of the air. It will keep for years like that, just remove what you need as you need it, squeeze out excess air and reseal.

Remember it will not dissolve when you use it in a sauce it only re hydrates, (the powdered stuff will blend right in) If you want to use it as you might use regular mushrooms then cut it into smaller pieces (about 1" square X 3/8" thick) prior to dehydrating, it will re hydrate to about 3/4 of that when you cook it.

I ended up drying the entire thing out in the oven last night. It took a few hours, and I actually need to finish it off a bit more tonight.

But I am super excited to see how it tastes in a chilli!

It really is amazing how much they shrink when you dry them out.