You Musky Guys will Love This.....

FloatnFly

Very cool! I was at the French River with a couple of guys when my buddy catches a small walleye. He brings it up and as he's lifting it out of the water this musky grabs the walleye (while about 6" in the air) and takes the fish and snaps the 6lb line. We were all in shock!

Very cool! I was at the French River with a couple of guys when my buddy catches a small walleye. He brings it up and as he's lifting it out of the water this musky grabs the walleye (while about 6" in the air) and takes the fish and snaps the 6lb line. We were all in shock!

Hahaha ive had similar happen lots but its always pike.

Just a few weeks back I was about to fish off this dock with my kids and I hadnt even casted my crawfish out and a 20" pike launched and grabbed it about 2ft in the air!

We were just laughing as I reeled the fished in. No hookset needed he just engullfed the lure hahaha

For any of you newer musky guys who aren't doing a figure 8 after EVERY cast your guaranteed to be missing a huge amount of fish. Here's just a couple examples of many many muskies I've boated over the past 4 decades on figure 8's.

Just something to think about if your not fully completing your cast.

Even if you don't see a fish following your bait, do a figure 8 anyways and you'll be very happy with the results.....over and over and over ....

rsz_11007-2.jpg

rsz_4033-001-1.jpg

Edited by lew

Or, you are doing a nice figure 8 at the front of the boat. She is a little interested and makes a couple passes by your lure. Then she leaves your bait, swims to the back of the boat and smashes your wife's bait. That's how Patsy caught her 49 some years back. Thanks Honey ..... Sure, no problem.

I get the usefulness of a figure 8.

But after a day of casting, the frequent figure 8s have cut the total number your casts down by maybe 10-20%.

How many other fish could have been caught.

Just sayin.

But with musky being notorious for following baits the figure 8 or L turn or even a circle at boatside can turn that follower into a biter and may even increase your hookup rate by 10 or 20%. With the limited time I get to go out I want to use the most efficient way for a hook up.A lure in the water is better than one in the air.

Kerry

Spinning feels do not handle big heavy baits well and a baitcaster can be thumbed as the bait lands to ensure instant retrieval or blades spinning and u can also hit free-spool and thumb the spool if u hook up on the figure eight.

the figure 8 i can see, but wouldn't the heavy duty salt water reels stand up to tossing big baits?

the figure 8 i can see, but wouldn't the heavy duty salt water reels stand up to tossing big baits?

Appropriate spinning gear can absolutely handle the baits and musky, but musky casting tends to be high volume casting in a full day compared to the offshore and surf applications they are typically designed for.....those big grinders tend to be heavier too

I think they shine for shore fishers who need the casting distance, and also those who don't favour baitcasters

That was a good video lol

Edited by bare foot wader

Captpierre,

I see what u r saying and I used to think that way when I started musky fishing maniacally 10 years ago. But, I can tell u that it is better and more productive than the extra 10-20% in casts u could get - especially on certain lakes like St Clair. Last year, 80% of my fish on that lake came on figure eights. That is much higher than typical but that's no exaggeration. And I fish a fair bit last year so that was a good number sample to work from.

This year - I have hardly been fishing:(